Football: A Tale of Two Finals

Corvinus85

It'll be interesting to see what City want to do with Grealish. I'm sure he'd be good playing on the left of the front three for them but it doesn't really seem worth it from City's point of view. They've got plenty of good players for the front three, I suppose Grealish might be better than their current options but not too a degree that it's worth sending £100 million on him. The other option is to go back to their two free eights model and play him in midfield along with De Bruyne. That could potentially go badly wrong but it should be fun to see how it goes.

44 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It'll be interesting to see what City want to do with Grealish. I'm sure he'd be good playing on the left of the front three for them but it doesn't really seem worth it from City's point of view. They've got plenty of good players for the front three, I suppose Grealish might be better than their current options but not too a degree that it's worth sending £100 million on him. The other option is to go back to their two free eights model and play him in midfield along with De Bruyne. That could potentially go badly wrong but it should be fun to see how it goes.

It's not even like it's stopping any rivals buying him, non of them seem interested/have the money. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Fucking hell. In five seasons for Atleti he missed six games with injury. One season so far with Arsenal, 17 games missed and looks to be coming out missing some right off the bat. Harsh.

Keita for Liverpool has been like that.  He was pretty much ever-present for four seasons at Salzburg and Leipzig, but cannot seem to stay uninjured in three years now at Liverpool.  Internationals have been part his problem though, both being played too soon after injuries and then exposed to COVID.

Thoughts from the friendly

1. Probably curtains for Rob Holding - I'm a big fan of Rob but the weakest part of his game remains being poor on the ball. It got us into trouble a few times today and I think White is probably going to take that spot from Rob unless Holding steps up big time.

2. Nketiah's improved a lot on work around the box - one of the biggest criticisms leveled against Eddie is not doing enough outside the box, but this pre-season he's been *so* much better. I think he probably still leaves the club but I've sorta turned around on the guy and think he'll do really well if he's starting games for another club

3. Lastly, I'm undecided on Willock - if we're not going to buy another creative midfielder, we should keep him

Well, if he wants a move he has to do something drastic. City have made it clear that Grealish is their top priority and Villa seem minded to sell. Even City will struggle to justify two £100m transfer buys without significant transfer money coming in and is there any sign of that?

9 minutes ago, mormont said:

Well, if he wants a move he has to do something drastic. City have made it clear that Grealish is their top priority and Villa seem minded to sell. Even City will struggle to justify two £100m transfer buys without significant transfer money coming in and is there any sign of that?

They are bankrolled by a nation state. FFP does not exist. In what world would they have to justify it?

1 hour ago, mormont said:

City could raise £80-100m from sales. They've already raised a little over £50m - Harrison (£13m to Leeds), Angelino (£16m to Leipzig), Lukas Nmecha (£11.2m to Wolfsburg) and Sancho (£11.2m in sell on fees and solidarity payments). Yangel Herrera, Ivan Ilic, Morgan Rogers and Pedro Porro are all set to be sold as well which should raise an additional £30m at the least.

eta. B. Silva could be sold as well but I don't see any non English club being able to pay what City would want for him this year. There's been some reports saying that Silva would prefer a move to Spain.

So Kane has decided to use the nuclear option?

I am inclined to believe, that there was a gentleman's agreement between him and Levy (just like there had been between Modric and Levy before). Just that Levy is not exactly a gentleman. I also didn't expect Kane to escalate things, but if you assume there was indeed an agreement between him and Levy, you can kinda see where he is coming from. But then again, he signed a contract, now he should honour it.

Matheus Pereira announcing he wants to leave West Brom, but wants a fair deal for West Brom to do so, to counter the manager saying that he's not dedicated and trying to neek his way out. Bit of a weird one this since it seemed commonly known and accepted he was leaving and that's why he wasn't playing friendlies? Not on strike, just West Brom agreeing to avoid injury risk? But fuck knows. 

I suspect he'll end up abroad but he'd be an excellent signing for several Prem clubs.  

With England, arguably at the Euros this year, and another one at the World Cup next year.

With Spurs there were not that many golden opportunities. Maybe he could've won the league with Spurs the year, when Leicester somehow won it. Otherwise no, not really.

In the CL final they were the underdogs to Liverpool, for very good reason. That Liverpool team was just one big beast. Losing a league Cup final against Guardiola's City, same story. The other big English beast for the past few years. Not sure what other shots at Silverware he missed there. It's certainly easier to win stuff with that City team, than with the this Spurs team.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

With England, arguably at the Euros this year, and another one at the World Cup next year.

With Spurs there were not that many golden opportunities. Maybe he could've won the league with Spurs the year, when Leicester somehow won it. Otherwise no, not really.

In the CL final they were the underdogs to Liverpool, for very good reason. That Liverpool team was just one big beast. Losing a league Cup final against Guardiola's City, same story. The other big English beast for the past few years. Not sure what other shots at Silverware he missed there. It's certainly easier to win stuff with that City team, than with the this Spurs team.

He participated in the teams that lost those finals.

Man City will win trophies with or without him.

6 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

He participated in the teams that lost those finals.

Man City will win trophies with or without him.

Which is kinda the point. Spurs won't win anything, with or without him. And he doesn't want to end his career with less titles than Alan Shearer. Ofc, signing a six year contract at Spurs was plain dumb in that respect. :dunno:

Archived