Dune Spoiler Thread

polishgenius

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

And there is the rumor that Florence Pugh is in talks to play Princess Irulan.

That's mentioned in the piece.  Will I ever see her as anyone other than Charlie Ross, in Little Drummer Girl?  Gods, she was good!

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What is a Grimes?

A Canadian recording artist and social media personality who's style reads like a "lets throw everything into a blender and see what comes out" genre. I guess she's somewhat successful. She's also baby mamma to two Elon Musk offspring. Her albums and her children have equally pretentious bullshit sounding names. Life is a rich tapestry, I recon. 

Crucially, she has no directorial credits aside from her own music videos. Too bad WB settled for Denis Villeneuve. That movie really could have been something special. 

Eh, directing a version of Dune was a wishful dream and not something she seriously pursued. She's a real fan of it. Her first album? Geidi Primes, with such tracks as "Caladan", "Zoal, Face Dancer", and "Feyd Rautha, Dark Heart".

She's actually a very good pop artist, who for many years has conceived, written, arranged, produced, and performed basically every thing herself, though very experimental and unafraid of just doing very niche stuff. Always loved her early track "Oblivion", which got a lot of critical attention in the day:

She also voiced the character of Lizzy Wizzy in Cyberpunk 2077, and contributed a couple of songs to it (of which I prefer "Delicate Weapon").

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Eh, directing a version of Dune was a wishful dream and not something she seriously pursued. She's a real fan of it. Her first album? Geidi Primes, with such tracks as "Caladan", "Zoal, Face Dancer", and "Feyd Rautha, Dark Heart".

She's actually a very good pop artist, who for many years has conceived, written, arranged, produced, and performed basically every thing herself, though very experimental and unafraid of just doing very niche stuff. Always loved her early track "Oblivion", which got a lot of critical attention in the day:

Not my bag I guess. It sound like a lot of stock '80's inspired synth pop loops with some "Ooh's" and "Ah's" over it. Each to their own. And a lot of people love "Dune". It's not exactly an obscure work. 

This was the passage that raised my blood pressure a bit:

Grimes’ interest in the material is hardly surprising, considering the musician’s longtime love of science fiction, and her interest in using space travel to find alternative solutions to ecological problems. According to the article, Grime’s take on the material would have “the more problematic colonialist elements scrubbed out,” but that did not make her any less enthusiastic about Villeneuve’s film.

On a non Grimes topic, I just finished rereading Dune Messiah, and it was just as forgettable and not entirely enjoyable as I remember. I was reading it with an eye on how they might ever adapt it in this current movie universe, and my conclusion is that they never will. It’s simply lacking a strong enough plot to sustain a movie on its own, and it’s strengths lay in its themes and some of the subjects it touches on. 

I also would be seriously worried about resting so much emotional weight of the story on someone like Jason Momoa, who I unfortunately don’t think could ever pull off such a role. I didn’t think he was especially good in Dune but he certainly doesn’t have the acting chops to play Duncan’s Gola.

I also then went back and rewatched the SyFy version of Messiah. The thing is, outside of some terrible costumes and old school CGI, it feels like a pretty faithful adaptation. And it’s boring, really boring. So that doesn’t give me much hope either.

Its also notable that this version of Duncan Idaho is incredibly bland too. 

On 3/13/2022 at 7:47 AM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

:huh:

Holy fuck, how did I miss this. 'Paul-type stuff' is doing some heavy lifting there.

She's clearly as messy, but might also be as delusional as Musk himself lol

---

Pugh as a possible Irulan is intriguing though. Might speak to an expanded role.

22 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Holy fuck, how did I miss this. 'Paul-type stuff' is doing some heavy lifting there.

She's clearly as messy, but might also be as delusional as Musk himself lol

I suspect the whole, "using space travel to find alternative solutions to ecological problems" thing ultimately reduces to, "While we're turning this planet into a toxic shitheap, lets dedicate a portion of our wealth and productive capacity to executing an escape plan for the 1% of the 1%."

Despite what Elon says publicly, we're no where near being able to establish a self sufficient colony on Mars. So, whether it's starvation, tooth decay, the vacuum of space, or a smorgasbord of cancer, this escape plan will itself reduce to most expensive and technologically interesting mass death in history. Jim Jones only used Kool-aid.

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I suspect the whole, "using space travel to find alternative solutions to ecological problems" thing ultimately reduces to, "While we're turning this planet into a toxic shitheap, lets dedicate a portion of our wealth and productive capacity to executing an escape plan for the 1% of the 1%."

Despite what Elon says publicly, we're no where near being able to establish a self sufficient colony on Mars. So, whether it's starvation, tooth decay, the vacuum of space, or a smorgasbord of cancer, this escape plan will itself reduce to most expensive and technologically interesting mass death in history.

I could see a billionaire getting a terminal diagnosis and thinking "if I'm gonna die anyway I may as well die as the first man on mars." The problem would be the trip which is like eight months. 

I wish we could move past the idea of manned space exploration. It's dangerous and only made sense before alternatives were practical. Send solar powered robots who work at night and charge their batteries during the day. 

Jim Jones only used Kool-aid.

I feel like the Kool-Aid guy should burst through your wall and serve you with court papers. It was Flavor-aid! 

The Sacrament is a good movie that I'd love to watch again. 

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

I wish we could move past the idea of manned space exploration. It's dangerous and only made sense before alternatives were practical. Send solar powered robots who work at night and charge their batteries during the day. 

Who then become self-aware, and return to enslave humanity. Directed by Michael Bay.

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

I could see a billionaire getting a terminal diagnosis and thinking "if I'm gonna die anyway I may as well die as the first man on mars." The problem would be the trip which is like eight months. 

Selling it as a one way trip would be honest at least. Except techno-optimism has convinced some of these clowns that they're going to live forever. Even money says Elon doesn't believe half of what he's saying and the whole thing is geared toward getting suckers investors to give him cash. Visionary, blah blah; Futurist, blah blah.

Except he's not. The whole "trains in tubes" idea dates back to the late 19th-early 20th century. It was a dumb idea then and it's a dumb idea now. All that cost, complexity, and potential failure modes to maybe knock 30 minutes off a 3 hour trip? Please. And do we really want some silicon valley clown running the railroads? 

Even his "we need to 'back up' humanity in case of a solar flare or gamma ray burst or rogue asteroid" thing isn't new. The mastermind behind Biosphere 2, who's name escapes me, was writing about that in the 1970's. Biosphere 2 is interesting because it illustrates that every detail needs to be considered and it's the details that will kill you.

The big problem they were dealing with there was they were losing massive amounts of oxygen that couldn't be accounted for. It was ultimately determined that the O2 was being consumed by reacting with exposed concrete within the facility. I promise you that between all those brains in all those design and construction phases, not one of them ever considered the "exposed concrete could suffocate us" problem. 

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

I feel like the Kool-Aid guy should burst through your wall and serve you with court papers. It was Flavor-aid! 

It's cultural. It's baked in. There's no stopping it. 

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's in our nature. We will want to keep trying. Future advances in medical technology and genetic engineering may allow for humans to adapt to living in areas not protected by a strong magnetic field and an atmosphere better.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

It's in our nature.

Sort of like, well, building things like Stonehenge, maybe?  They believe we now know what its purpose was, but there are other equally monumental Neolithic erections scattered about the world that remain mysteries as to what purpose they may have served.  

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

It's in our nature. We will want to keep trying. Future advances in medical technology and genetic engineering may allow for humans to adapt to living in areas not protected by a strong magnetic field and an atmosphere better.

The surface of Mars is, as near as makes no difference, the vacuum of space. And that lack of a strong magnetic field means cosmic rays have effectively sterilized the place. Genetic engineering isn't going to solve those problems. 

There is also the fundamental issue that whatever technology, or means to develop said technology, that would make life sustainable on Mars would have far greater utility if it were applied here, on this planet, where you don't have to spend trillions just to get it to the place where it's going be used.

I have no objection to space exploration or related scientific research. But guys like Musk are way overselling it. Just like they're overselling the Hyperloop and boring company stuff. And if you want to be really cynical about it, he's doing it to keep the con going. People think he's Steve Jobs when he's really Elizabeth Holmes.

This is a guy who stood on stage at an event in late 2017 and showed the 2nd generation Tesla Roadster and the Tesla Semi. He made some pretty impressive unbelievable performance claims about these vehicles. He also claimed that the Truck would enter series production by the end of 2019 and the Roadster by the end of 2020. We are now entering the 2nd quarter of 2022 and neither of those things has happened. I've worked in automotive. I've seen production delays for one reason or another. Sometimes it can't be helped. But I don't know how someone misses a launch by years and no one seems to notice.

And that goddamn Gigapress. "Ooooh, the biggest die casting machine in the world!" "It will allow a bunch of parts to be a numerically smaller bunch of parts" "Less Welding" "So fucking revolutionary it makes me horny."

These machines are rated by shot size and clamp load. Shot size (the mass of material that can be injected per cycle) is usually not a limiting factor. The clamp load is, as it resists the force trying to open the mold as the material is injected, (the product of injection pressure and the projected area of the cavity). The Gigapress is big. How big? The clamp is about 20% bigger than the last-biggest aluminum die casting machine that's in use. But there are plastic injection molding machines that are in use that are even bigger. Whaaa?!?!

And consolidating multiple welded/braised/fastened/joined components into a single cast or forged part is literally as old as those technologies themselves.

Archived