U.S. Politics / bounced checks and negative balances

DireWolfSpirit

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

If you raise a baseball bat to hit someone and get stopped before the blow lands, you weren’t in fact “using a baseball bat”?

I kinda think once you raise or swing that bat you’re using it.

Lol no.  She didn't swing it.  It doesn't say she raised it over her head or pulled it back to take a swing.  

If a cop was holding a taser, gun, or baton, and raised it, but didn't shoot or hit someone with it, or try to, would you say they used their gun, or used their baton or used their taser on someone?  

Cops make this shit up all the time.  It's wild how cops just get reflexively defended when they lie about this stuff constantly.  

The fact that they use this vague language should be a clue in and off itself.

5 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

Lol no.  She didn't swing it.  It doesn't say she raised it over her head or pulled it back to take a swing.  

If a cop was holding a taser, gun, or baton, and raised it, but didn't shoot or hit someone with it, or try to, would you say they used their gin, or used their baton or used their taser on someone?  

Cops make this shit up all the time.  It's wild how cops just get reflexively defended when they lie about this stuff constantly.  

Well putting someone in fear of violence is an offence in the UK, and common assault doesn't need actual contact. 

Re pulling a gun or taser or baton etc, we have to complete a use of force form every time. 

Don't know what rules are where the incident occurred though. 

30 minutes ago, Ran said:

Just heard Colin Powell passed away at 84, due to complications from Covid-19. He was fully vaccinated, I heard, but I wonder if he'd gotten a third booster or not.

He was also dealing with some other health issues. That combined with his age put him at higher risk even if he had gotten a booster shot.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:04 PM, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I knew Manchin would block any meaningful climate provisions. Now Dems are grasping at straws like a carbon tax (NY Times article) (which if done correctly could make a difference), but Manchin would oppose this too. He and Sinema both have been shown to be taking money from donors with vested interests in stopping Biden's agenda. 

The planet's done. That we waited so long--it was done a long time ago, but damn, we can't even get these greedy assholes to let up for a moment to try and stop what is now inevitable.

I sometimes suspect Manchin and Sinema are only calling themselves democrats to give people hope that the democrats can do something, while actually helping the republicans so that the democrats can do nothing.  The Republicans think prolonging all of our problems will sweep them and Trump back in the next election.

1 hour ago, 1066 Larry said:

If a cop was holding a taser, gun, or baton, and raised it, but didn't shoot or hit someone with it, or try to, would you say they used their gun, or used their baton or used their taser on someone?  

Agreed. If she was holding a bat at her side they would likely say she raised it and charged, and their cameras as Solo mentioned, would have been conveniently turned off. All on accident of course.

Just now, argonak said:

I sometimes suspect Manchin and Sinema are only calling themselves democrats to give people hope that the democrats can do something, while actually helping the republicans so that the democrats can do nothing.  The Republicans think prolonging all of our problems will sweep them and Trump back in the next election.

If one of them actually switched parties and gave the Senate back to the Republicans, I think that would be the best bet for midterms and, ultimately, Biden's second term. It would be a clear signal that the Dems are dysfunctional, they have a couple of defectors on the team. Of course, that Manchin and Sinema have taken loads of money from Republican donors not being evidence enough already, maybe I'm too optimistic. 

https://therecord.media/sinclair-tv-stations-disrupted-across-the-us-in-apparent-ransomware-attack/

LOL

TV broadcasts for Sinclair-owned channels have gone down today across the US in what the stations have described as technical issues, but which multiple sources told The Record to be a ransomware attack.

3 hours ago, 1066 Larry said:

Yes, cops make shit up all the time. But if I see someone at a demonstration or anywhere else marching with a baseball bat, I say “that person wants to use it, wants violence”. Lots of (mainly) American friends over the years have made reference to having a baseball bat handy in their house, and it’s not there to play ball. I especially expect that Capitol police view demonstrators carrying baseball bats (flagpoles, bear spray, whatever the hell else they carried on the 6th) with a great deal of suspicion. I don’t think the fact it was a demonstration against Line 3 changes that.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yes, cops make shit up all the time. But if I see someone at a demonstration or anywhere else marching with a baseball bat, I say “that person wants to use it, wants violence”. Lots of (mainly) American friends over the years have made reference to having a baseball bat handy in their house, and it’s not there to play ball. I especially expect that Capitol police view demonstrators carrying baseball bats (flagpoles, bear spray, whatever the hell else they carried on the 6th) with a great deal of suspicion. I don’t think the fact it was a demonstration against Line 3 changes that.

Carrying a bat isn't illegal.  

Nothing in the description suggests she "used a bat" on police, which was my contention the entire time.  I get it, people use language differently.

She was carrying a bat because protestors in DC have been subject to violence from the Proud Boys and co and the cops do nothing.  The cops approached her.

eta: it was only a matter of time before the "Domestic Terrorism" shit got turned around on regular people protesting.  They are going to continue to treat people protesting oil companies and defending indigenous rights as "terrorists".  

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

The photo is from when he lied about WMDs.

One one of the lowest cliff falls in integrity and swan dives in character ever displayed on a World stage.

You don't get to come back from such viscious, consequential, intentional cruelty Powell displayed in his U.N. performance.

It was Lindell-ish in deceipt before we even knew Mr My Pillow.

May his partners in crime Condi and Cheney join him soon. Amen

Archived