Career Chat V: the Common Ruin of the Contending Classes

Datepalm

17 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Be the next Julio Franco at my age, eh?

I was thinking more of the next Homer Simpson. HBP can win the game! Oh the life of a Single A tomato can... Imagine the glory. And now they're in the Union! 

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was thinking more of the next Homer Simpson. HBP can win the game! Oh the life of a Single A tomato can... Imagine the glory. And now they're in the Union! 

Hmmm...maybe. Let's see if the phone screening interview I just landed for tomorrow goes anywhere first.  
:P

19 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Thanks.  I know it's only an initial screening, but it's for something in my wheelhouse and would potentially get me back doing what I'm best at.

Making deals with the Devil?

Best of luck @Jaxom 1974 and @Madame deVenoge

I’m doing pretty well still at my current place.  I’m finally spending less time on my original role, with the team set up to increasingly operate without me, and I’m starting to focus more now on the on-ramp development for my new role.  I declined a role to be the CIO of a spin-off from our firm — it didn’t look like the right set-up for me.

But now I’ve received an approach by another firm.  I’m not on the market at all but this other firm is intriguing because they’re a completely different type of investor in a space I have not experienced before.  Last week was my first interaction with them (over Zoom) and now they want me to meet with their CIO next week.  I’d be the co-lead of the business and the investment offering alongside this CIO.  

I told them I’d regret leaving my current firm before I’ve achieved more (I’m in a senior role at one of the greatest investment firms in the world), but this other firm is also pre-eminent in their own (larger) investment sphere too, so I should at least listen to what kind of role and opportunity would be involved. 

19 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

It is where one basically lies to one’s employees that one is sick and cannot work. Policies vary - some people have sick days and vacation days, some people have no sick days but must use vacation if they are sick.

I have unlimited PTO (paid time off) which means there is no stupid counting of days.

That said, I don’t just not show up. I have to call or send an e-mail stating that I am ill and will not be in that day.

We don't even go to half pay until we have been off sick for 6 months. 

@Madame deVenoge,

It could always be worse. Imagine working for this dumpster fire. The numbers are staggering:

Ruiz provided guidance that 2022 revenue would approach $1 billion. When the company first reported quarterly earnings, nine months of revenue yielded just $3.9 million after projecting income of $992 million.

Operating losses ended at $118 million.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/nasdaq-threatens-to-delist-crucial-nil-boosters-company

57 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I would have never gotten into that dumpster fire. There’s a lot to unpack, there, but there would have been definite warning signs before All That.

Idk how things can ever get that out of hand. It was jaw dropping to read. 

Applied for 29 jobs this week. I can already tell they're all going to be ghosts or form rejections. Job hunting is The Worst, especially for an introvert who is allergic to networking.

On 4/20/2023 at 11:34 AM, Madame deVenoge said:

@Starkess - I am so sorry. Your best hope is negotiation. They can enforce the contract and they probably have in house counsel. Your best method might be to call and beg for a payment plan and mention how totally unemployed you are :(

Had a call with them yesterday and they can do a payment plan, as long as it's within this calendar year. Better than nothing. She was also willing to take my request for some relief to her manager, but mentioned that she did not know of that ever having been done in previous cases. She clearly felt bad for me but I understand this is a big org and not something anyone is personally doing to me. Will wait and see. Not much I can do but keep looking for work, taking deep breaths, and crying a lot.

On 4/20/2023 at 12:16 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

@Starkess are post-docs not an option? Hiring for them tends to be more flexible/informal and doesnt involve a rigorous selection process. Pay is meh (~50-60k), and of course it is more placing careers in holding patterns while you look for something more permanent. Still, you can do some cool science and get the monkey off your back for a bit.

Hm, at least in my field the entire post-doc application thing is quite the process. It has a pretty defined cycle too, which I've missed out on, and would require finding at least three letter writers, when I really only have one. Plus it would require location flexibility, which at the moment I do not have. Especially after this relocation debacle, and we're on a lease, it doesn't make sense to move again right now. So unfortunately, no.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Madame deVenoge,

It could always be worse. Imagine working for this dumpster fire. The numbers are staggering:

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/nasdaq-threatens-to-delist-crucial-nil-boosters-company

Quelle surprise, my alma mater's sports programs caught up in this sort of nonsense... again.

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Quelle surprise, my alma mater's sports programs caught up in this sort of nonsense... again.

Bro, this doesn't even crack the top 500 problems going on in Miami. Not that I need to tell you. :P

2 hours ago, Starkess said:

Applied for 29 jobs this week. I can already tell they're all going to be ghosts or form rejections. Job hunting is The Worst, especially for an introvert who is allergic to networking.

Good luck and much sympathy re networking.

How on earth did you manage to write 29 job applications in a week? Mine take me ages, and normally involve responding to a person specification point by point. 

22 hours ago, dog-days said:

Good luck and much sympathy re networking.

How on earth did you manage to write 29 job applications in a week? Mine take me ages, and normally involve responding to a person specification point by point. 

Most of them are a pretty simple resume upload. I do tailor my resume as needed and write cover letters when possible, but it doesn't take too much time. But that also means there are hundreds of other people doing the same thing....

27 minutes ago, Starkess said:

Most of them are a pretty simple resume upload. I do tailor my resume as needed and write cover letters when possible, but it doesn't take too much time. But that also means there are hundreds of other people doing the same thing....

There is nothing fun about job applications. :( They're all just shit in different ways. 

I think one of the big reasons I've only applied to public sector/education-adjacent jobs for the last nine years is that the rigid structure appeals to how my mind works. 

But given your qualifications, you'll stand out amongst the 'send in a CV' hopefuls. Most of them must get eliminated from the process quite fast.