Canadian Politics: more than a truck load of covidiots, eh?

A Horse Named Stranger

So the blockade of Ottawa is cleared, and the vote on the Emergencies Act is also going forward today.

It appears that the Government considers it a vote of confidence.

The NDP are expected to back the vote, but they do have the power to say vote against and block it. Doing so, it appears, would be a motion of no confidence and trigger an election.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/emergency-situation-not-over-pm-trudeau-says-after-police-crackdown-in-the-capital-1.5789734

Later today, MPs will be voting to confirm the powers, with Trudeau suggesting he also views the vote as an indication of the level of confidence the House of Commons has in his continued leadership.“

I can't imagine anyone voting against this bill as expressing anything other than a deep mistrust in the government's ability to keep Canadians safe at an extraordinarily important time,” Trudeau said.

The NDP have vowed to pull support the moment they feel it is no longer necessary.

We believe very strongly that this has been a national crisis,” said NDP leader Jagmeet Singh during a press conference following Trudeau’s address. “In response to that failure of leadership to take this seriously, we believe now the measures put in place… are helping to address the serious crisis… But I also want to be clear, we are prepared, and we've advised the prime minister, that we are prepared to pull our support and to trigger a vote on emergency measures… as soon as we believe it is no longer necessary.”

Happened on the start of some video the other day that was featuring Evangeline Lilly and had to thumb past fast before my ears started to bleed. Undecided if that was worth sharing, but I don't like seeing her anywhere and wish Marvel would do something about that, but she's just mild enough that a lawsuit could stick [if they turfed her]

---

Lich denied bail and will be held through court date. Suspect the same with King, but who knows.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just noticed that Trudeau lifted the Emergencies Act yesterday. That didn’t take long.

All the haters who have been screaming that he is a dictator are now pivoting to him being weak, that it was going to be defeated anyway, and he is trying to save face.

10 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

All the haters who have been screaming that he is a dictator are now pivoting to him being weak, that it was going to be defeated anyway, and he is trying to save face.

The fastest about face since the Molotov -Ribbentrop pact was signed.

I cannot fucking phantom what Trudeau was trying to achieve here. Getting a handful of truckers vaccinated in an epidemiologically irrelevant move and create the worst self-inflicted crisis in Canada in decades amid rampant inflation and supply chain problems.  Declare "state of emergency", ruthlessly clear the protesters and now it's over, because it needs to be over. Because there was absolutely no way he couldn't foresee that one of the worst international crisis was about to explode in our faces.

I'm sorry Canadians but your PM is an imbecile.

If that is the quality of the western leadership, it becomes quite clear why Putin doesn't respect you.

Just a reminder that in Canada medical issues are a provincial responsibility not federal so  Trudeau has no voice in who gets vaccinated or any other medical decision. Considering that our only land borders are with the US and the US banned unvaccinated truckers from crossing, blaming Trudeau for this is not really a useful point. We do have sea borders with Denmark and France but the capacity of those is rather limited and I don't think either country has closed them off to the unvaccinated.

You are more than likely to be right in your prediction than so many currently predicting/speculating/telling us what we must know and think and do. Gads do I despise professional pundits -- well, not all of them, but most of them, who so love to lead with, "What Whomever Is In Power MUST Do To Stop This Get This Going Etc."

As Xeni Jardin sez: "Welcome all you just now minted experts on Ukraine!"

The trucking supply chain problem has very little to do with vaccinnations. The vast majority of drivers are vaccinated.

Furthermore, even if Trudeau had not implemented vaccine requirements, it would still be a requirement to enter USA, so lack of reciprocity would just advantage American drivers over Canadian drivers.

I have been shipping product, via road and rail for years. The road driver shortage predates COVID, and has been going on for most of the 2010s. This issue crosses over many industries and has a lot to do with older generation retiring, and lack of new recruiting that many industries did for the last two decades. Construction has almost the same problem.

The other big issue is actually an equipment shortage. Flat bed trailers are in huge demand, so command high prices. Dry-vans are much more expensive now too, but are more plentiful.

ETA:

With regards to Trudeau and the Emergencies Act. I do agree that invoking it was a mistake, and that he expended a lost of political capital for very little gain. To me, it was clearly unecessary, as both municipal and provincial police forces already had the powers required to clear blockades (see Windsor and Coutts, for example)

I disagree about the Emergencies Act. Without it the protesters would still be in Ottawa right now. Under the Act, police came in from across the country and went straight to work. Without it, every police officer had to be sworn in, and if Ottawa did get their 1800, that would have taken three days or longer. And the banking powers stopped transactions going on. I’m sure there were investigative powers that were used as well. And they shut it down fast.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I disagree about the Emergencies Act. Without it the protesters would still be in Ottawa right now. Under the Act, police came in from across the country and went straight to work. Without it, every police officer had to be sworn in, and if Ottawa did get their 1800, that would have taken three days or longer. And the banking powers stopped transactions going on. I’m sure there were investigative powers that were used as well. And they shut it down fast.

I don't agree. Nothing was stopping the municipality from bringing in other police officers without the Act.

In fact, Windsor police were supported by forces from other jurisdictions (including RCMP) when they cleared the Ambassador Bridge.

4 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

I cannot fucking phantom what Trudeau was trying to achieve here. Getting a handful of truckers vaccinated in an epidemiologically irrelevant move and create the worst self-inflicted crisis in Canada in decades amid rampant inflation and supply chain problems.  Declare "state of emergency", ruthlessly clear the protesters and now it's over, because it needs to be over. Because there was absolutely no way he couldn't foresee that one of the worst international crisis was about to explode in our faces.

I'm sorry Canadians but your PM is an imbecile.

If that is the quality of the western leadership, it becomes quite clear why Putin doesn't respect you.

The restrictions, re: truckers needing to be vaccinated, were/are on both side of the Canada/US border. Cool your jets, fool. 

Archived