Jump to content

Ukraine: Holding


Recommended Posts

@RhaenysBee 

Certainly not. Apologies if my occasional updates re sanctions and divestments made it seem like I was indifferent or gleeful. I'm not, and just yesterday had a long conversation with my daughters about differentiating between the Russian state and people because the subject had either been broached or responded to by a few of their teachers, and it felt like maybe that distinction hadn't been made.  

Edited by JEORDHl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has Putin bothered to justify his insistence that no other countries can intervene in Ukraine "or else", while he accepts boots and hardware from Belarus?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Has Putin bothered to justify his insistence that no other countries can intervene in Ukraine "or else", while he accepts boots and hardware from Belarus?

 

He doesn't consider Belarus a real country anymore than Ukraine, is why. It's all part of the same delusion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turkey has said it will not let warships pass through the Bosphorus and Dardanelles. Also, Erdoğan has criticised the USA and the west for being indecisive. 

Bit rich considering that a few days ago, Turkish diplomats were breathing sighs of relief after discovering a sub-clause in a 1936 treaty that would sadly not allow them to stop Russian warships from entering the Black Sea. 

Though I think it's case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted anyway. 

Edited by dog-days
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The great New Orleans radio station, WWOZ, that streams and broadcasts specifically New Orleans music, had several thousand Ukrainians tuning in.  As of this afternoon there are only 8 tuning in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

12 Russian diplomats being booted from the UN mission in New York, which Russia has called a violation of the UN charter, in the host country agreement.

We’re all heartbroken for them.  Just heartbroken.

I’m likely to be in DC next week.  Any protests at the Russian embassy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

@RhaenysBee 

Certainly not. Apologies if my occasional updates re sanctions and divestments made it seem like I was indifferent or gleeful. I'm not, and just yesterday had a long conversation with my daughters about differentiating between the Russian state and people because the subject had either been broached or responded to by a few of their teachers, and it felt like maybe that distinction hadn't been made.  

No apology necessary. That’s a beautiful and admirable thing to discuss with your children, and I’m certain millions appreciate it. I clearly overreact out of emotion because, well this is an unprecedented event in my life that stirs up unprecedented emotions and tribalism and whatnot. It’s just way too close home in every sense. I didn’t mean  to make an unfair suggestion about anybody’s sentiments, I’m sorry. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No apology necessary. Please. The thought experiments, argumentation and hypotheticals on many subjects can [very infrequently] feel a little ghoulish at times, but the board has got to be like 98% decent people. I'm glad you brought it up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m likely to be in DC next week.  Any protests at the Russian embassy?

Trucker convoy comin' to D.C. Will they be showing their hatred of the USA by going to defend the embassy of he whom their hero's head is all way up his ass -- not sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought about putting this in the Canadian politics thread, but...

I know I more or less endorsed an oil and petrochemical product embargo a few days ago, but that was before all the latest rounds of sanctions. Could be oblique application of further pressure on Putin while there's these kinda-negotiations ongoing, but I don't know. 

We're not a big importer, but If other nations jump on this bandwagon, Putin could possibly lose whatever is left of his fucking mind.  

   

Edited by JEORDHl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

No apology necessary. That’s a beautiful and admirable thing to discuss with your children, and I’m certain millions appreciate it. I clearly overreact out of emotion because, well this is an unprecedented event in my life that stirs up unprecedented emotions and tribalism and whatnot. It’s just way too close home in every sense. I didn’t mean  to make an unfair suggestion about anybody’s sentiments, I’m sorry. 

I don't think you overacted at all. Millions of innocent Russians will have their savings annihilated, and financial future in jeopardy because of the sanctions, through not fault of their own, and entirely due to the actions of their autocratic criminal government. It is a terrible situation for those people, and I think for us to be gleeful about it is in poor taste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Trucker convoy comin' to D.C. Will they be showing their hatred of the USA by going to defend the embassy of he whom their hero's head is all way up his ass -- not sure.

Nah, I think they'll directly gather to defend the Trump Inernational Hotel.

Sorry Scot, I think you should pick another place to stay. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nah, I think they'll directly gather to defend the Trump Inernational Hotel.

Sorry Scot, I think you should pick another place to stay. :D

My Mom’s in emergency surgery.  My sister is on her way up now.  My brother is there.  We’re talking about shifts to take care of her when she’s out of the hospital.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My Mom’s in emergency surgery.  My sister is on her way up now.  My brother is there.  We’re talking about shifts to take care of her when she’s out of the hospital.

Oops, sorry. Didn't know that. You wrote about planning to go to DC, and I just assumed it was work related.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...