Football: Red Card for the Roman Empire

A Horse Named Stranger

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

8-10 games isn't representative.  If the team ranked 6th doesn't qualify for a tournament with 32 teams there is clearly an issue. 

If 'deserve' is the criteria then increase the European and South American places so the best teams actually qualify and fuck off all the teams that get the charity spots. 

Well, South America already does that, where everyone plays everyone, but that's doable with only 10 nations., not with 50+.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Italy didn't win their group, they didn't win their play-off game, thus they don't deserve to play at World Cup.

Plain and simple.

Besides, it's Qatar, so who gives a toss?

And the 4th fastest Jamaican and American sprinter doesn't qualify for Olympics. It's bullshit. Sport is not about inclusion. It's about the best competing. Saudi Arabia are ranked 53rd in the world but they are going because they play against other dogshit teams in qualifying. 

The defending European champions missing out lowers the quality of the tournament. 

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

8-10 games isn't representative.

It's not? I think it generally is, but OK. Is 12 enough? 16? 38?

How are international teams going to ever play a more 'representative' number of games for a qualifying tournament?

If the team ranked 6th doesn't qualify for a tournament with 32 teams there is clearly an issue. 

With the team ranked 6th, I'd suggest. Their ranking is too high.

If 'deserve' is the criteria then increase the European and South American places so the best teams actually qualify and fuck off all the teams that get the charity spots. 

Harsh on England, but OK. ;)

ETA - I know it's cheap. England usually waltz through their qualifying groups. But honestly, most of us have enjoyed seeing one or other of the 'undeserving' teams do unexpectedly well at a finals in recent years. Yourself included, if memory serves.

Not the first time reigning European Champions miss out on the World Cup.

Denmark failed to qualify in 1994, so did the Greek in 2006.

There are 55 UEFA nations. 13 of those qualify. So roughly one quarter. Those are not terrible odds.

2 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Sweden is also in after beating Czech Republic.  And they didn't even need to beat Italy this time.

Not really in. They still have to beat Poland.

Northern Macedonia still has to eliminate Portugal.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

There really needs to be a better way of qualifying. Some of the shite that is going and Italy miss out demeans the tournament. 

That being said it's pretty funny. 

Come on. Why should Italy or anyone have a God-given right to play at big tournaments? What were all those protests against European Super League against? (I know it's different context though but still!)

Those sorts of closed shop competitions prevent the smaller nations like us to compete.

And tell me, why is it worse to finish second to Germany than finish second to Switzerland like Italy did? 

ETA: They had the home advantage too. What else should they be given?

I'd like to add that, we haven't qualified, we play Portugal who can beat us and qualify instead.

32 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The defending European champions missing out lowers the quality of the tournament. 

Didn't they technically compete in the tournament and due to poor play fail to make the playoffs, aka the WC?

32 minutes ago, Raja said:
Yes, they totally deserve a place. Zzzzzzz.

I mean they were pretty comfortably the best side at the Euros so, yeah, if I were picking 32 sides to go to the World Cup I’d prefer them to be there. Having said that I’m pretty ambivalent about watching this World Cup anyway and it’s funny so whatever.:dunno:

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I mean they were pretty comfortably the best side at the Euros so

Great. That has nothing to do with qualifying for the world cup, and the qualifying campaign which is what that tweet is about.

Just now, Raja said:

Great. That has nothing to do with qualifying for the world cup, and the qualifying campaign which is what that tweet is about.

Great. It was a couple of years ago, I’m sure they’re still capable of playing to something like that level and most of the teams going to the World Cup aren’t.

Archived