Ukraine 14 - Back to the Mud

Maithanet

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

A military warehouse has been destroyed in Belgorod, some suggesting a Ukrainian helicopter raid, and a railway bridge in Kursk Oblast has been sabotaged and collapsed, the latter apparently by Russians themselves.

If the Counter-attack is… very… successful.  Do you think the Ukrainians would risk pushed boots or treads into actual Russian territory?  I can understand the impluse but it seems like a poor plan politically.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/01/world/ukraine-russia-war-news#as-russia-brings-the-ruble-to-kherson-the-regions-cellphones-and-internet-fall-silent

The Russian forces in control of the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson and its surrounding province started to enforce a transition to the Russian ruble from Ukrainian currency on Sunday, a move that Ukrainian officials have described as part of an attempt to scrub a part of the country clean of its national identity and embed it in Moscow’s sphere of influence.

At the same time, the Ukrainians reported on Sunday that nearly all cellular and internet service in the area was down. The Ukrainian Ministry of the Interior accused Russian forces of cutting service, saying it was an attempt to keep Ukrainians from accessing truthful information about the war. ....

.... Russian television programs dominate the airwaves, although a recent explosion at a television tower briefly stopped the broadcasts.

The British military’s intelligence agency said on Sunday that the introduction of the ruble and statements from a recently installed pro-Russia administration declaring that a return to Ukrainian control would be “impossible” demonstrated “Russian intent to exert strong political and economic influence in Kherson over the long term.”

Kherson’s Ukrainian mayor, Ihor Kolykhaiev, who has been pushed out by the Russian authorities, could not be reached by phone or email on Sunday. He told the BBC on Saturday that he did not believe the introduction of Russian currency would work because the only banking system in the region was Ukrainian, not Russian.

The Russian occupation has met resistance — like angry street protests and more clandestine military efforts only hinted at in the daily updates from Ukrainian commanders — but it is increasingly hard to verify information coming from the region.

On April 19, the Main Intelligence Directorate of Ukraine’s Defense Ministry accused the Russians of preparing sham referendums to “legalize” the occupation administrations in the temporarily occupied areas, including Kherson. ....

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The Russians are openly and without shame attempting genocide.  They justify themselves by claiming “Ukrainian” culture is really “Russian” culture.

:/

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If the Counter-attack is… very… successful.  Do you think the Ukrainians would risk pushed boots or treads into actual Russian territory?  I can understand the impluse but it seems like a poor plan politically.

Probably not an invasion as such. It's only 400 miles from Kharkiv to Moscow, considerably less distance than the original battle front in Ukraine, and if the Russians felt that there was even a remote chance of a direct attack on the capital, they'd glass Ukraine in five seconds flat. The Ukrainians know that. So I suspect the focus will be on raids to target infrastructure, slow down reinforcements and destroy supplies. If possible, hit airfields where sorties are being launched from. 

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Probably not an invasion as such. It's only 400 miles from Kharkiv to Moscow, considerably less distance than the original battle front in Ukraine, and if the Russians felt that there was even a remote chance of a direct attack on the capital, they'd glass Ukraine in five seconds flat. The Ukrainians know that. So I suspect the focus will be on raids to target infrastructure, slow down reinforcements and destroy supplies. If possible, hit airfields where sorties are being launched from. 

I’ve been making jokes about a Russian Army mutiny for weeks.  If it were to happen… does the Russian Government have forces that could counter a mutiny by the troops already in Ukraine?  Would the Russian Government use Nuclear weapons on their own troops?  In their own territory?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ve been making jokes about a Russian Army mutiny for weeks.  If it were to happen… does the Russian Government have forces that could counter a mutiny by the troops already in Ukraine?  Would the Russian Government use Nuclear weapons on their own troops?  In their own territory?

The Russian military police and (heavily militarised) civil police and the national guard, but they've been deployed to Ukraine. Not all of them, obviously, but they're definitely split in operations and might not be able to cover everywhere at once.

And no, of course Russia isn't going to nuke Russia. Although given how this has all gone, I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The Russian military police and (heavily militarised) civil police and the national guard, but they've been deployed to Ukraine. Not all of them, obviously, but they're definitely split in operations and might not be able to cover everywhere at once.

And no, of course Russia isn't going to nuke Russia. Although given how this has all gone, I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

Yeah… they’d attempt to blame it on NATO.

I love this!  Authoritarians always make this error, it never occurring to them (looking at bush & co. back in the 9/11 days) that those they are invading really do possess, understand and operate such new fangled tech as iphones, computers etc. (though evidently bush himself didn't :dunno: )  Evidently Putin & co. share that mindset that farmers, and other land and trades working people are too stupid to know about such stuff.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/01/europe/russia-farm-vehicles-ukraine-disabled-melitopol-intl/index.html

Here is a 30 minute YouTube video of the map of Ukraine and major events in the first six weeks of the war.  Ends about 7 April. Focusing on the map gives the impression Russia controlled more territory than they really did, but nonetheless it is interesting.

Mixed reports on Gerasimov.  Other outlets are reporting that he is uninjured but a different Russian general at the scene was seriously injured/killed (along with many other Russian troops).  We'll have to wait to get a clearer picture.

If I was Zelensky or Zaluzhnyi, I'd move out of the presidential palace/HQ, and into a nondisclosed location for the next couple of days. Russians will be looking for payback for this.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

I love this!  Authoritarians always make this error, it never occurring to them (looking at bush & co. back in the 9/11 days) that those they are invading really do possess, understand and operate such new fangled tech as iphones, computers etc. (though evidently bush himself didn't :dunno: )  Evidently Putin & co. share that mindset that farmers, and other land and trades working people are too stupid to know about such stuff.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/01/europe/russia-farm-vehicles-ukraine-disabled-melitopol-intl/index.html

John Deere should capitalize on this in their next ad campaign: their tractors have the Russian seal of approval :D

27 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

John Deere should capitalize on this in their next ad campaign: their tractors have the Russian seal of approval :D

However, as delightful as the story is, it doesn't change that the facts on the ground are Russia is consciously, with evidently some organization, literally plundering Ukraine, the oldest reason in the book for going to war with one's neighbor -- to take their stuff. The plunder isn't limited to grain and heavy mechanical equipment by any means. They are emptying out museums and churches too.  As well as the homes of the Ukrainian people.

It's disgusting. Pure nazi.  The average German soldier was encouraged to bring home as much stuff as he could, to boost boost the living standards of the average German household.

I’m glad they aren’t talking about liberating Canada from their farm equipment, and goodies. I guess we have Ukrainians who may be made to be liberated. I thought Trumpy was eyeing our water, natural resources and auto pact. Maybe he would want to liberate poor downtrodden Conservatives in Canada…the ones who like being Aholes

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

The plunder isn't limited to grain and heavy mechanical equipment by any means. They are emptying out museums and churches too.  As well as the homes of the Ukrainian people.

Also it should be noted they’re literally stealing children.

3 hours ago, Gorn said:

If I was Zelensky or Zaluzhnyi, I'd move out of the presidential palace/HQ, and into a nondisclosed location for the next couple of days. Russians will be looking for payback for this.

If they could have killed him by now they would have.

And they’ve tried.

So long as the war wages they will continue to try.

22 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Also it should be noted they’re literally stealing children.

Thank you for that reminder.  Argh, I'm sorry I neglected to include that. :(

Just now, Zorral said:

Thank you for that reminder.  Argh, I'm sorry I neglected to include that. :(

That Russia is stealing people from Ukraine (children especially) to bolster their own population is among the most bizarre features of this war.

Archived