UK Politics: rooting for the vegetables

mormont

26 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Why take the heat off the tories in order to say something that will harm himself?

Because it's the truth? And, as Sir Keir is so fond of saying, "The British public have had enough of politicians lying to the people. Hold my beer. Lol."

And look, you say it will harm him to talk about renewing closer ties with the EU. But will it?

The reality of the damage wrought by Brexit is now so obvious that a whole bunch of Tories, including some of the more fervent Brexiteer donors and shakers, are admitting it was a massive fuck up.

But, sure, like every other enormous challenge currently facing our society, let's just not talk about it, and hope that everything will be fine.

He should be out there shouting, "Look. Look what they have done to us."

He's a fucking coward.

36 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Aside from that, why make the political news all about how labour f***ed up, when it's so busy reporting on how the tories are f***ing up. Why take the heat off the tories in order to say something that will harm himself?

Yeah, we have the chance to wipe them out for a generation, but no, lets start infighting so people can forget about the tory fuck ups over the last 50 years, and especially the last 12.

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah, we have the chance to wipe them out for a generation, but no, lets start infighting so people can forget about the tory fuck ups over the last 50 years, and especially the last 12.

Whatever happened to the popular front reg?

Telling the British people that we are better off being outside of the EU is pure bollocks, and, as Lucas said, intellectually dishonest.

Does anyone here seriously think that's what Sir Keir really believes?

Vote for Keir. Vote for the anti-Boris Johnson. Vote for honesty and integrity and principle.

(But only when it suits him.)

:ack:

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah, we have the chance to wipe them out for a generation

Their poll-lead is collapsing. In two years time, Rishi will pull some money out of his arse, give it to some gullible morons, and everyone will forget the past 14 years.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Aside from that, why make the political news all about how labour f***ed up, when it's so busy reporting on how the tories are f***ing up. Why take the heat off the tories in order to say something that will harm himself?

Well this aged poorly lol

https://news.sky.com/story/sir-keir-starmer-pledges-to-abolish-house-of-lords-in-first-term-as-prime-minister-12762032

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Whatever happened to the popular front reg?

"Yeah, apart from Brexit, crippling inflation, the sabotaging of the NHS, The Corruption Industrial Complex, and all the fucking rest of it, what have the Tories ever done for us?"

The only way rejoin happens is if the Conservative party adopts rejoin as a policy, or whatever party on the right replaces the Conservatives should they be completely destroyed at the next election. Because I don't see how the EU ever agrees to a rejoin process without both parties most likely to form future government, or be the senior partner in a coalition govt, are believably committed to rejoin. So the only question for currently committed rejoiners is what is the best strategy for getting the major party on the right to adopt that policy in the shortest time?

I guess one of the first steps on that process would be to get the Conservatives out of power, but that may not be strictly necessary. 

Hey, Sir Keir, you can have this one for free...

Put in your manifesto a promise to fully investigate the extent of the Tory Covid fiasco.

We need a full public inquiry into everything. The care homes. Test and Trace. Nurses wearing bin bags. The mechanisms behind "the VIP lanes". Why contracts worth hundreds of millions were awarded to chums and donors with zero field experience resulting in dangerously unusable PPE.

Even today, billions of pounds of public money remain completely unaccounted for. Where did it all go?

And we really need to be more like France, and start putting people like this behind bars.

Tory peer Michelle Mone to take leave of absence from House of Lords

The under-fire Conservative peer Michelle Mone is taking leave of absence from the House of Lords with immediate effect, her spokesperson has said.

They added she was doing so “in order to clear her name of the allegations that have been unjustly levelled against her”.

The move comes after the Guardian revealed Lady Mone appeared to have received millions originating from the profits of a PPE company.

The government is not expected to oppose a bid by Labour to force the release of documents relating to a £200m contract with PPE Medpro. Mone has previously denied having any relationship to the company.

She sounds as if she could be brilliant material for a biographical social satire possibly involving Chris Morris. "Mone came up with the idea for the Ultimo bra, the brand's first product, when she was wearing an uncomfortable cleavage-enhancing bra one day and believed she could create a more comfortable cleavage-enhancing bra.

Like the bra, the satire would be deeply uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In any other timeline, she would already be on remand.

Though, in this instance of the multiverse, whether or not the Metropolitan Police view a Tory peer stealing almost thirty-million-pounds from the public purse as worthy of criminal investigation is another matter altogether.

9 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Hey, Sir Keir, you can have this one for free...

Put in your manifesto a promise to fully investigate the extent of the Tory Covid fiasco.

We need a full public inquiry into everything. The care homes. Test and Trace. Nurses wearing bin bags. The mechanisms behind "the VIP lanes". Why contracts worth hundreds of millions were awarded to chums and donors with zero field experience resulting in dangerously unusable PPE.

Even today, billions of pounds of public money remain completely unaccounted for. Where did it all go?

And we really need to be more like France, and start putting people like this behind bars.

Tory peer Michelle Mone to take leave of absence from House of Lords

Our govt has launched a royal commission of enquiry into its own handling of the pandemic. I don't imagine the UK govt will dop anything of the sort. I'm a bit vague on the specific or Royal Commissions of enquiry, but I believe they have pretty wide latitude for investigation and they are completely independent of the govt. So in theory there should be very little opportunity for white-washing kind of govt interference.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:49 AM, Spockydog said:

Telling the British people that we are better off being outside of the EU is pure bollocks, and, as Lucas said, intellectually dishonest.

Does anyone here seriously think that's what Sir Keir really believes?

Vote for Keir. Vote for the anti-Boris Johnson. Vote for honesty and integrity and principle.

(But only when it suits him.)

:ack:

Wouldn’t it be more prudent to be silent on Brexit? Hey 

Being pro-Brexit is a minority opinion(still too high, curse your country’s xenophobia and racism), he doesn’t have to say anything about it if he wants to entice the people who think it was a good idea because xenophobia but are irritated with the mismanagement and scandals of the tories.

This line of rhetoric would just anger the majority who wants closer ties to Europe and have some future hope of reconciliation.

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Wouldn’t it be more prudent to be silent on Brexit? Hey 

Being pro-Brexit is a minority opinion(still too high, curse your country’s xenophobia and racism), he doesn’t have to say anything about it if he wants to entice the people who think it was a good idea because xenophobia but are irritated with the mismanagement and scandals of the tories.

This line of rhetoric would just anger the majority who wants closer ties to Europe and have some future hope of reconciliation.

I think the majority opinion on brexit is  for ducks sake, I'm so tired of brexit.  Can we talk about something important?  Like my energy bills?  Yeah we probably should not have left but we have let's not open up the pain of that argument again.  The kids have only just started talking to uncle Jack again.

By saying nothing the Torries get to claim Starmer will try to get us to rejoin and frame it as in the next parliament.

By saying he wants brexit to work better he is saying closer ties to Europe without rejoicing at least straight away.  Rejoicing is not the job of the next government. Laying the groundwork to rejoin later is.  In the mean time things get a bit better each time we get a little closer to the EU.  And more people start to see the benefit.

Remember rejoicing means no rebate and the Euro.  Which are major hurdles remain did not face.

29 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

By saying he wants brexit to work better he is saying closer ties to Europe without rejoicing at least straight away.  Rejoicing is not the job of the next government. Laying the groundwork to rejoin later is.  In the mean time things get a bit better each time we get a little closer to the EU.  And more people start to see the benefit.

Remember rejoicing means no rebate and the Euro.  Which are major hurdles remain did not face.

I know it's nearly Christmas and all but all this rejoicing about Brexit is a bit much don't you think?

:leer:

As someone who does want to rejoin the EU, I'm not sure that at this point there's any other viable tactic than 'be nice to the EU' anyway. And that's basically what Starmer's saying, isn't it? I mean, he could put it differently, but it's not his worst sin. 

Article about potential drug shortages, in particular kids antibiotics.

https://news.sky.com/story/strep-a-pharmacies-warn-of-penicillin-shortage-as-parents-warned-not-to-self-diagnose-strep-a-in-children-12763138

I’vr noticed issues getting certing prescribed stuff for my daughter.

Most notably, on Thursday I was prescribed Clarithromycin (antibiotic). None of the pharmacisa had it. One called round various local ones, and there’s a supplier shortage. Luckily they had the atrongger version and so were able to calculate a reduced dose for my daughter. But this is an issue

Archived