Glasgow 2024 (Worldcon)

I'd originally booked at the downtown Marriott (3/4 mile from the SEC), but then learned that I am eligible for an accessible room due to recently-diagnosed lung issues. So, with help from the con's Accessibility team and the GCB staff, I am now at the Hilton Garden Inn on the SEC campus, with substantially less walking required.

On 1/13/2024 at 12:25 PM, Pebble thats Stubby said:

mcbigski

cuellar

Tav and I are both in for the con.  Tuesday and Wednesday before we ll be bouncing around the Inverness area for Scotch tastings.  Staying there both nights and training back for Thursday is the plan.

Reserved my own hotel for Glasgow.  Willing to look at an airbnb or such as long as I have my own room.

If anyone wants to join us for Scotch tastings pre con just let me know.

Looking forward!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really confused by the hotel situation. The conference rates are more expensive than the normal rates for these hotels.

I'll be attending the con, by the way.

Just booked a cute AirBnB for $120 bucks (discounted) that's only 0.5 miles. I'll be coming into Glasgow on August 5, leaving the night of the 12th, flying home from Edinburgh on the 13th.

I noticed that about the rates. It's definitely awkward that the rates they're getting are not obviously superior to their regular rates. The hotels are giving nothing in return for an effort to help them fill these blocks. But this feels like it's been a thing for several years, at least -- hotels are far less willing to cut deals of any kind, and in fact seem to realize that a big convention is basically their prisoner and has very little leverage to bargain for better rates when they absolutely have to guarantee rooms for people.

19 hours ago, LugaJetboyGirl said:

I'm really confused by the hotel situation. The conference rates are more expensive than the normal rates for these hotels.

I'll be attending the con, by the way.

They did have some rates that were cheaper than the prices on other sites but I think those probably got snapped up quickly.

1 hour ago, LugaJetboyGirl said:

Ugh, I knew those AirBnB rates were too good to be true. The system had posted the availability wrong.

That is annoying, I hope you can find somewhere else that isn't too extortionately priced.

On 2/16/2024 at 9:46 PM, Deedles said:

Well I’m furious. Despite booking in November, the hotel has bumped me. (I did book though a third party). I’m not impressed

sorry this happened to you. so wrong.

You could always try the premier Inn.  Its not part of the con hotel packages but also very close and not too expensive.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Adz of CCAA said:

Would be great. :ninja:

I think Sisters Without Standards won the day in Dublin, but I'd like to suggest again the Boarders Without Boundaries idea as a theme.  It's actually kind of a pun, which I didn't even realize last time.  Primary inspiration is the doctors without borders people, but also acknowledges our global nature and shall we say encompasses the less socially adroit in an inclusive way.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:49 AM, mcbigski said:

Tav and I are both in for the con.  Tuesday and Wednesday before we ll be bouncing around the Inverness area for Scotch tastings.  Staying there both nights and training back for Thursday is the plan.

Reserved my own hotel for Glasgow.  Willing to look at an airbnb or such as long as I have my own room.

If anyone wants to join us for Scotch tastings pre con just let me know.

Looking forward!

Regarding good whisky pubs in Glasgow, I’d recommend The Pot Still (Glasgow City Centre) and The Ben Nevis (Finnieston, near West End). Both will be busy during weekends

I can't speak for anyone else, but I really feel like I want my Boarders to have boundaries. Love you all, but boundaries are healthy. Also, such a shirt slogan could be intepreted wrongly, causing code of conduct issues. So I would be saying that if anyone is organising a shirt printing, that slogan is a no.

Also have to see the schedule when we get there, but definitely want to do a martini happy hour at some point, probably at the Hilton on William where Tav and I have booked.  Saw some rather nice orange for peel yesterday at the grocer, and so I'm thinking I'll pack my shaker, the orange bitters and a peeler.  Assuming we can acquire oranges, vermouth, and Bombay Sapphire in the UK without much difficulty.  

X Ray and Mr X taught me a thing or two about cocktails, and I have fond memories of the first half of the covid era zoom gathering drinking the same, where I woke up the next morning to find we had plotted a Vegas meet up. (Which was awesome.) Pay it forward.

On 4/2/2024 at 9:10 PM, mcbigski said:

Assuming we can acquire oranges, vermouth, and Bombay Sapphire in the UK without much difficulty. 

Are you aware that the convention has its own bespoke gin? I tasted it at one of their bid parties and thought it was excellent. It would seem appropriate to use it for cocktails while at the convention. The link will take you to their merch page, which not only provides details on the gin but also offers their recipe for the Glasgow Gimlet, which is more to my liking than a martini.

https://glasgow2024.org/for-members/merchandise/

Edited by DaveAx
additional info

What's the con party situation like? In the convention hall, as has ecome the norm these days, or are there actually going to be room parties? I miss room parties.