The Witcher S3: Bye Bye Henry

Ran

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Sapkowski says that Netflix never really bothered with his input on the show, which he takes as normal put of Hollywood.

TBH he also shits on the games so I’d take his opinions on anything outside of his own books with a grain of salt lol. Love the books but he doesn’t respect anything other than his own work when it comes to Witcher. 

• 1 month later...

Laurence Fishburne To Star As Regis In ‘The Witcher’ Season 4
https://deadline.com/2024/01/laurence-fishburne-regis-the-witcher-season-4-1235720527/

The Witcher has found its Regis. Emmy winner and Oscar nominee Laurence Fishburne is joining the upcoming fourth season of the Netflix series as the fan-favorite character from The Witcher books and games.

Introduced in Sapkowski’s novel Baptism of Fire, Regis is a world-wise Barber-surgeon with a mysterious past who joins Geralt on his journey in Season 4. Geralt will be played by Liam Hemsworth, who takes over the role from Henry Cavill, who exited at the end of Season 3.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:53 PM, Ran said:

Sapkowski says that Netflix never really bothered with his input on the show, which he takes as normal put of Hollywood.

This is comical because one of the most consistent complaints about the show I've read, especially with regards to Season 3, is how they've been "downplaying Geralt" and "Ciri is the main character." Which is basically the primary plot of the books (Geralt does jack shit in the last couple of volumes until the end, is barely in them and Ciri is 100% the primary protagonist at that point).

The Witcher franchise may be unique in how relatively few people have read the actual source material versus experiencing the spin-off media, and then whinging because they think the spin-off media is the source material (and even The Witcher 3 takes semi-frequent breaks from Geralt to see what Ciri's up to now).

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This is comical because one of the most consistent complaints about the show I've read, especially with regards to Season 3, is how they've been "downplaying Geralt" and "Ciri is the main character." Which is basically the primary plot of the books (Geralt does jack shit in the last couple of volumes until the end, is barely in them and Ciri is 100% the primary protagonist at that point).

The Witcher franchise may be unique in how relatively few people have read the actual source material versus experiencing the spin-off media, and then whinging because they think the spin-off media is the source material (and even The Witcher 3 takes semi-frequent breaks from Geralt to see what Ciri's up to now).

I think I'm one of the few fans who's never played the games, and know very little about them.

But, I really enjoyed the books, and liked to see Ciri developing into the main protagonist.  The show, I find something of a curate's egg.  Good in parts.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

And I've no familiarity with either, which may be why I'm liking Witcher more with each season, when I started off just flummoxed by both quality and content? They are making it a more coherent show, which it sure was not at first.  (Also, absolutely no fan for monster of the week, me, but that is just me, not being interested in monsters and horrors generally.)

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

That’s not the main issue for me , I like having more Ciri. The main issue is the complete butchering of character motivations and changing their personality like Eskel, Yennefer,Vesemir etc inventing their own storylines and the lack of faithfulness to how they look and their age vs books (and games) the production design is also quite generic 

I haven’t seen S3 fully nor do i intend to see the show but I’m willing to give the animated film a try when it comes out to see if it’s any better(also love that short story)

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 3:13 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Laurence Fishburne To Star As Regis In ‘The Witcher’ Season 4
https://deadline.com/2024/01/laurence-fishburne-regis-the-witcher-season-4-1235720527/

The Witcher has found its Regis. Emmy winner and Oscar nominee Laurence Fishburne is joining the upcoming fourth season of the Netflix series as the fan-favorite character from The Witcher books and games.

Introduced in Sapkowski’s novel Baptism of Fire, Regis is a world-wise Barber-surgeon with a mysterious past who joins Geralt on his journey in Season 4. Geralt will be played by Liam Hemsworth, who takes over the role from Henry Cavill, who exited at the end of Season 3.

Which is a truly weird choice for Regis - and I'm not talking about race. Regis is, ostensibly, a harmless, middle-aged man, lean and looking like a tax collector. Say, Mahershala Ali would kill as Regis. Giancarlo Esposito. Morgan Freeman, if he wasn't actually four hundred years old already. But not Laurence Fishburne.

(Fishburne would've been a perfectly natural choice for, say, Dijkstra).

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

https://redanianintelligence.com/2024/04/03/the-witcher-season-4-adds-bonhart-zoltan-and-skellen-cast/

South African actor Sharlto Copley will play the ruthless bounty hunter Leo Bonhart. 

James Purefoy as Stefan Skellen, Emhyr spy and advisor.

They're breaking out some casting firepower for the (very possibly final) season.

6 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

It's not possible to wrap it up in just one season,

Is there anything to wrap up, really? It just meanders around, pretty much. Ha!  Though it somehow still manages to provide a mildly dependable escapist entertainment.  Maybe that was all down to Cavill though -- I did so admire his face's ability to show the same expression almost all the time!

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Is there anything to wrap up, really? It just meanders around, pretty much. Ha!  Though it somehow still manages to provide a mildly dependable escapist entertainment.  Maybe that was all down to Cavill though -- I did so admire his face's ability to show the same expression almost all the time!

I mean that’s the character, he’s suppose to be like Spock and show very few emotions.

On 4/17/2024 at 7:58 AM, 3CityApache said:

It's not possible to wrap it up in just one season, so if it's really the last one, it will be a complete disaster. And I mean even bigger than so far, which is saying something.

The books meander like hell through the last two (and arguably three) volumes, they can easily wrap it up in 16-18 episodes for the final two seasons without breaking a sweat. One season would have been tight, but doable.

If the show ends like the books do, expecting some controversy.