Football - , it's just that the world's about to end.

Lykos

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Germany squad for the event I won't watch.

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern München), Marc-André ter Stegen (FC Barcelona), Kevin Trapp (Eintracht Frankfurt)

Defenders: Armel Bella Kotchap (FC Southampton), Matthias Ginter, Christian Günter (both SC Freiburg), Thilo Kehrer (West Ham United), Lukas Klostermann, David Raum (both RB Leipzig), Antonio Rüdiger (Real Madrid), Niklas Süle, Nico Schlotterbeck (both Borussia Dortmund)

Midfielders and Attackers: Julian Brandt, Karim Adeyemi (both Borussia Dortmund), Leon Goretzka, Joshua Kimmich, Jamal Musiala, Serge Gnabry, Leroy Sané, Thomas Müller (all of them FC Bayern), Ilkay Gündogan (Manchester City), Jonas Hofmann (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Mario Götze (Eintracht Frankfurt), Kai Havertz (FC Chelsea), Niclas Füllkrug (Werder Bremen), Youssoufa Moukoko (Borussia Dortmund)

Roughly what could be expected. Suprise omission: Gosens (Günter got his spot). Hummels had hoped for a spot, but that was a 50-50 thing for him at best imho.

Surprise inclusions Bella Kotchap, Götze and Moukoko (sorta).

Injuries have excluded a few players. Reus (as is tradition) will miss out on yet another world cup, Werner has been mentioned before, Lukas Nmecha picked up an injury yesterday (thus Moukoko was called up). 

Gosens is not a surprising omission if you ask me. Inzaghi doesn't rate him and he gives him only 15-20 minutes per game this whole past year. No one knows why he didn't get more minutes. He'll be probably sold in January or in the summer in Germany.

So I understand Flick's decision knowing the context behind that.

Edit: Just a confirmation of what I wrote:

Tomori didn't deserve a call-up either. He's been poor this season and didn't do his cause any favours when he was the worst player on the pitch against Italy and had to be hooked off after an hour. If we are going on form then Dan Burn should have been picked ahead of either Maguire or Dier.

Listening to Michael Cox on the Athletic podcast saying World Cup Winners are mainly made up of squads who’ve been together a long time, rather than picking form players and even out of form players do well in tournaments.

Well then England should win this year because pretty much every player in our squad is massively out of form 

Aaron Ramsdale interviewed on the radio. First thing he says is how happy he is for Ben White. 

He was also very modest in giving Arteta all the credit for Arsenal being top of the league. The players also deserve enormous kudos for our improvement since Aubameyang got binned. 

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Germany squad for the event I won't watch.

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern München), Marc-André ter Stegen (FC Barcelona), Kevin Trapp (Eintracht Frankfurt)

Defenders: Armel Bella Kotchap (FC Southampton), Matthias Ginter, Christian Günter (both SC Freiburg), Thilo Kehrer (West Ham United), Lukas Klostermann, David Raum (both RB Leipzig), Antonio Rüdiger (Real Madrid), Niklas Süle, Nico Schlotterbeck (both Borussia Dortmund)

Midfielders and Attackers: Julian Brandt, Karim Adeyemi (both Borussia Dortmund), Leon Goretzka, Joshua Kimmich, Jamal Musiala, Serge Gnabry, Leroy Sané, Thomas Müller (all of them FC Bayern), Ilkay Gündogan (Manchester City), Jonas Hofmann (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Mario Götze (Eintracht Frankfurt), Kai Havertz (FC Chelsea), Niclas Füllkrug (Werder Bremen), Youssoufa Moukoko (Borussia Dortmund)

Roughly what could be expected. Suprise omission: Gosens (Günter got his spot). Hummels had hoped for a spot, but that was a 50-50 thing for him at best imho.

Surprise inclusions Bella Kotchap, Götze and Moukoko (sorta).

Injuries have excluded a few players. Reus (as is tradition) will miss out on yet another world cup, Werner has been mentioned before, Lukas Nmecha picked up an injury yesterday (thus Moukoko was called up). 

Going back to the German squad. Sport trivia question, can you name the four 2014 World Cup winners, who got called up again. 

I could easily name three (Neuer, Müller, Götze), when I heard there are four among them. I got the fourth name by elimination and making an educated guess.

Spoiler

The fourth one is bit tricky. Gündogan picked up an injury and missed out on 2014 title. Neuers back ups in Brazil were Weidenfeller and Zieler. Thus I (correctly) concluded it had to be Ginter, who didn't feature in any game.

Don't know why some United fans have such a hard on for Fred. He had a decent enough game as he does most times for us - not spectacular but servicable. Van de Beek is fucking useless though and doesn't get a fraction of the criticism. He doesn't create anything, doesn't link up particularly well and doesn't chip in with goals either - he's basically a slightly worse version of Lingard. We wasted an hour of this game accommodating VdB by playing our most creative player (Bruno) out of position.

39 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

We wasted an hour of this game accommodating VdB by playing our most creative player (Bruno) out of position.

I saw people on twitter claiming Bruno should be run out of the club. I get he can sometimes be frustrating and had a bad season last year, but... fucking mentalists.

Van de Beek's biggest problem is that his 'super positioning' actually involves positions that would indeed be really dangerous if the ball reached him, but often reaching him would involve sliding the ball through an eye-of-the-needle gap between three defenders or something. Requiring the kind of product as the basic expectancy that's really a once-a-game-at-best sort of showing, even for the best passers in the league. Just throwing all responsibility for creativity onto his team-mates.
And it's unreciprocated coz when he does get on it his passing is incredibly safe. 

So yeah, he's fucking shite. 

Fred's problem in this game was that, because it was him and McTominay, they were doing the thing where they both try to cover the DM role in bits and neither of them is good at it, hurting both. McTominay dropped to just dedicate himself to that when Eriksen came on which is a better solution but it's no coincidence that the best part of his game came in the last few minutes after Casemiro came on. We'd have been better off doing from the start what we sometimes do, which is accept that if you're playing both, one of them- preferably McTominay, as he's marginally better suited to breaking the play- should just play DM as best he can and the other one should box-to-box it. But ultimately we do need a backup DM eventually. 

eta: I mean, fuck me

I don't know who could be called in in his place, but taking Godin might turn out to be a worse decision than Brazil taking Daniel Alves, if he actually plays. He wasn't all that fast to begin with, but lost all that he had left. Hard to imagine him doing well against a striker like Son.

Also, just occurred to me they have 5 players going to their 4th consecutive WC- Godín, Muslera, Suarez, Cáceres and Cavani. That surely got to be a record.

USA roster for the World Cup. 

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Luton Town/ENG; 8 appearances for U.S./0 goals), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 10/0), Matt Turner (Arsenal/ENG; 20/0)

DEFENDERS (9): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic/SCO; 11/0), Sergino Dest (AC Milan/ITA; 19/2), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 29/3), Shaq Moore (Nashville SC; 15/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 46/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 29/2), Joe Scally (Borussia Monchengladbach/GER; 3/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami CF; 75/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 33/3)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United/ENG; 24/6), Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 53/2), Tyler Adams (Leeds United/ENG; 32/1), Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo/ESP; 12/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 37/9), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 19/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 32/0)

FORWARDS (7): Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas; 15/7), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 49/11), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 52/21), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 14/4), Josh Sargent (Norwich City/ENG; 20/5), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 25/3), Haji Wright (Antalyaspor/TUR; 3/1)

The biggest snub appears to be in the goalie department, with Zack Steffen missing out. Seems that all the US players who are active in the Premier League made it, which is no surprise.

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Van de Beek's biggest problem is that his 'super positioning' actually involves positions that would indeed be really dangerous if the ball reached him, but often reaching him would involve sliding the ball through an eye-of-the-needle gap between three defenders or something.

That's called 'hiding on the pitch' which is what VdB does. Like I said, he's a worse version of Lingard.

Archived