Football: Does Infantino have a Time Turner?

Corvinus85

2 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Fuck. Another mistake by Tite: leaving Neymar to take the last, and he didn't have the chance. Marquinhos had a disastrous day.

Classic mentality - put your best at the end because of the stress. Except every kick is stressful.

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

But Jesus has been great for Arsenal. So I think he was a good pick. But did you need three defensive midfielders in Casemiro, Fred and Fabinho? I didn't watch the Cameroon so I don't know if Fabinho played at all in this tournament.

Jesus only scored one goal for Brazil in the last 23 matches, zero in 8 in WC, the worst of any Brazil striker ever. Firmino has a better record, and Gabigol is very, very much a big game player. Besides, as I said at the time of the call-ups, his performance at Arsenal had nothing to do with it, he would have been called even if he was at the bench for Haaland at City.

Every year I root against the teams that I feel like always win it - Germany, Italy, France, Brazil.  England gets sorta grouped in here too even though they haven't won in my lifetime just because I don't like how high and mighty they act about soccer in spite of not winning much. 

So I'm always happy to see one of those sides go out, even though I know how much the WC means to Brazil. 

1 minute ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Their coach says that God is with them all the time, though. 

We have no proof that God isn't the devil. That's why it's called faith. And last time I checked every Republican presidential nominee says that God told them to run and is on their side. Cheeky fellow. 

People can cry all they want about selections and substitutions. The fact of the matter is that Brazil created enough chances, but their finishing was very poor just like it was against Cameroon. They had an xG of 2.6 and could only get one goal with top players in the forward positions - top players usually over-perform xG, so one would have expected Brazil to have bagged at least two goals with the quality they have up front - great fortitude shown by Croatia, but this was a Brazil choke job.

12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

People can cry all they want about selections and substitutions. The fact of the matter is that Brazil created enough chances, but their finishing was very poor just like it was against Cameroon. They had an xG of 2.6 and could only get one goal with top players in the forward positions - top players usually over-perform xG, so one would have expected Brazil to have bagged at least two goals with the quality they have up front - great fortitude shown by Croatia, but this was a Brazil choke job.

Teams with 2.5 XGs only score one goal all the time, the point is that Brazil should have had created more, and part of the reason it didn't it's that it had two improvised wing-backs, because Tite decided to call 39 year old Dani Alves because he plays the tambourine in the post-match samba, and he also decided to remove Brazil's best player in this WC, Vinicius Jr, with 25 minutes to go in the 2nd half.

Looks like my (assigned) support for Croatia in the 2010 Westeros World Cup has finally paid off! 

Idi Hrvatska!

Hopefully Costa Rica won't let my 2014 self down next time...

ETA: I had to go back to my name changes to remember I supported Denmark last WC...

Very happy for the Croats. Small country from an unfortunate part of Europe, 3,5 million people, with undeveloped football facilities and mediocre league, but their players always play their hearts out for their country. 1998 3rd place, 2018 second and now again in the World Cup semis. And they are an independent country for only 30 years after World Cups started taking place!

Those are some amazing accomplishments, all things considered.

7 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Teams with 2.5 XGs only score one goal all the time, the point is that Brazil should have had created more, and part of the reason it didn't it's that it had two improvised wing-backs, because Tite decided to call 39 year old Dani Alves because he plays the tambourine in the post-match samba, and he also decided to remove Brazil's best player in this WC, Vinicius Jr, with 25 minutes to go in the 2nd half.

A 2.6 xG is at the top end of what teams generally create per game. For example, Man City are the best in the PL with an average xG of 2.38 per game. Brazil created a well above average number of good chances but poor finishing ultimately cost them just like it did against Cameroon (but it didn't matter in that game).

Archived