Football: Does Infantino have a Time Turner?

Corvinus85

Ah, today was apparently a meeting about the future of German football. 

Originally it was intended as a four man roundtable event (Bierhoff, Flick, Neuendorf (FA President) and Watzke (in his role as an executive of the Bundesliga)).

After Watzke forced Bierhoff out, that meeting was down to the remaining three. Possible that Flick might follow Bierhoff on his way out. Flick left at the end of the meeting without speaking to the press. So not exactly a vote of confidence. 

Personally, I still think Flick will survive this and won't be dismissed before the end of his contract (after the Euros '24). Yes, Tuchel is available, but Watzke knows him from Tuchel's time at Dortmund, and he doesn't like him on a personal level. Other candidates? Klopp won't leave Liverpool, Bayern won't part with Nagelsmann (not sure whether he'd be interested right now anyway). Next name on the list would then probably be Kuntz. That's the name I'd put money on, if Flick really gets sacked. 

Right now, they're rather busy behind the scenes to find the Bierhoff replacement, Rangnick's name keeps popping up there.

I remember back during the 2006 WC (I think), it was reported that the Brazilian coach stated something like that Brazilian footballers are innately more skillful than any other country (because of how they are raised) and the only way other countries can beat them is if they can outmuscled by physically bigger players.  So Brazil was now concentrating their development on physically big players, since they will still be innately more skillful and that will cancel out the only advantage that other countries have.

We ended up with Hulk. 

I wonder does Winterfell is Burning remember something like that.  Anyhow, that is what the earlier discussion reminded me of.  Thankfully, it seems that Brazil has moved away from that philosophy.

Otherwise, it is nice that the quarter finals aren't completely dominated by the usual European/South American teams.  The big name came through all the other last 16 games.  But I don't have it in me to support Morocco.  I know people complain about Spain but that very defensive, see can we sneak a goal, tactics have never attracted me.  Spain's games can be great if a team tries to be more offensively minded against them.

The Swiss result is the most astounding one though.  Never seen them play so badly.  Very strange.  Great performance by Portugal though.  I'm not sure what to think about Brazil also.  They scored so early that it wasn't a real test.  And England were bad for 38 minutes but once they scored it was easy.  France did look good, as Poland finally put in a performance.  I do wonder if Poland had tried to play against Argentina, would they have won. 

Anyhow, interesting matches ahead.

11 hours ago, Padraig said:

I remember back during the 2006 WC (I think), it was reported that the Brazilian coach stated something like that Brazilian footballers are innately more skillful than any other country (because of how they are raised) and the only way other countries can beat them is if they can outmuscled by physically bigger players. 

If the coach actually said that then he was talking out of his arse.

Well, I don't remember Parreira saying something like this specifically, but there was a concern after Brazil was eliminated to Italy in 1982 WC to build stronger players and focus more on defense.

That always seemed non-sense for most pundits and serious football fans- in 1982, Brazil's by far physically strongest player, Serginho, was arguably the worst performer, and that result was more of a result of an inspired Rossi, some dodgy refereeing and the bad luck of losing it's two best strikers before the WC to injury.

Mind you, Parreira was never really popular in Brazil even after winning the WC- not only the football was by no means brilliant most of the time, people didn't forget Romário had to be forced into the team by popular demand and fear of not qualifying in the last game against Uruguay, so it's considered more of a WC that Brazil won despite Parreira than because of him.

58 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Fuck, there's Real Madrid taking another one.

What makes it worse is that I'd say from the Brazilian players I've seen playing around 16/17 (including Ronaldinho, Vini Jr, Rodrygo and Neymar) Endrick is perhaps the best of the lot at that age; at least in the level of the best of the others for sure.

That said, there's no guarantee he'll become a a great player (Anderson looked like a wonderkid when he was 16/17, and we all know all that turned out), and he's lucky enough to be playing in a team that doesn't really need him to win, so there's almost no pressure (when there was some demands to take him to the squad that played the Club World Cup early this year, the Palmeiras' coach said Endrick should go to the Disneyland instead. He only used Endrick when the Brazilian title was all but certain), and we'll have to see how he deals with the extra level of scrutiny and pressure this transfer will bring.

On 12/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Well, I don't remember Parreira saying something like this specifically, but there was a concern after Brazil was eliminated to Italy in 1982 WC to build stronger players and focus more on defense.

Hmm.  I wonder how much I should trust my memory.  Could be that somebody said something in 2006 but they were referring to something said in 1982.  I definitely remember the comment because it was quite striking but when exactly is a different question.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If there is a Sports God, please give us Brazil vs Argentina in the semis.

I've got a feeling Holland might win, but Brazil v Argentina semi followed by a Messi v Ronaldo final would be pretty sweet. 

35 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've got a feeling Holland might win, but Brazil v Argentina semi followed by a Messi v Ronaldo final would be pretty sweet. 

Argentina is my team, but a Brazil vs France final would be fun too.

Broke my foot at the right time. I'll even be able to watch the semis!  

Archived