The Crimes of Jaime Lannister

Craving Peaches

7 hours ago, Bowen Marsh said:

I don't mind so much what he did to Bran.  It led to the War of the Five Kings and weakened Westeros but that war was coming anyway because the Baratheons mismanaged the kingdom.  I hate Jaime for what he did to Aerys and the Targaryens. 

So you don't care that he tried to murder an innocent little boy, but you do care that he killed a sadistic and cruel tyrant? Killing Aerys was one of the greatest acts of the series.

• 3 months later...
54 minutes ago, csuszka1948 said:

Rape? Where?

It is also very arguable if incest is a crime.

I think it probably is. There wouldn't be a need for a Doctrine of Exceptionalism if it wasn't.

I suspect though it is rather more narrowly defined than it was by medieval Catholicism, so that, for instance, first cousins are ok.

8 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

I think it probably is. There wouldn't be a need for a Doctrine of Exceptionalism if it wasn't.

I suspect though it is rather more narrowly defined than it was by medieval Catholicism, so that, for instance, first cousins are ok.

Yes, it is probably against the law.

Is the assassination of Renly a crime? Kinslaying is usually considered a crime of the highest order and the manner of it is even worse, but technically Renly was a traitor, so it's not against the law. 

Edited by csuszka1948

1 minute ago, csuszka1948 said:

Yes, it is probably against the law.

Is the assassination of Renly a crime? Kinslaying is usually considered a crime of the highest order and the manner of it is even worse, but technically Renly was a traitor, so it's not against the law. 

It gets complicated when there are multiple kings. By Stannis's own law, it wouldn't be a crime. But by the law of the land, blood magic is probably illegal anyway, and I think kinslaying would remain a "crime against the gods" even if the victim is a traitor. I guess it's debatable whether Stannis was actually the killer, as kinslaying seems to be an issue only when you're the one who actually wields the blade (a family member dying in battle against you is fine, so long as you're not the one who kills them).

26 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I think at one point Cersei tells him to stop and he doesn't (I think it might be when they decided it would be a good idea to make out in front of their son's corpse...)

I guess it’s a real turn on, screwing one’s sister on top of a church altar, in front of the decomposing corpse of one’s son.

56 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I think at one point Cersei tells him to stop and he doesn't (I think it might be when they decided it would be a good idea to make out in front of their son's corpse...)

Yeah, I thought that might be the scene you were referring to. I don’t think this scene was portrayed as rape in the books, but it definitely was in the show. I remember this scene was very much discussed back when it first aired. 

I’m not a fan of EWwww, but for what it’s worth:

https://ew.com/article/2014/04/21/george-r-r-martin-thrones-rape/

Martin: “In the novels, Jaime is not present at Joffrey’s death, and indeed, Cersei has been fearful that he is dead himself, that she has lost both the son and the father/ lover/ brother. And then suddenly Jaime is there before her. Maimed and changed, but Jaime nonetheless. Though the time and place is wildly inappropriate and Cersei is fearful of discovery, she is as hungry for him as he is for her. 

The whole dynamic is different in the show, where Jaime has been back for weeks at the least, maybe longer, and he and Cersei have been in each other’s company on numerous occasions, often quarreling. The setting is the same, but neither character is in the same place as in the books, which may be why [producers] played the sept out differently. But that’s just my surmise; we never discussed this scene, to the best of my recollection. 

Also, I was writing the scene from Jaime’s POV, so the reader is inside his head, hearing his thoughts. On the TV show, the camera is necessarily external. You don’t know what anyone is thinking or feeling, just what they are saying and doing. 

If the show had retained some of Cersei’s dialogue from the books, it might have left a somewhat different impression — but that dialogue was very much shaped by the circumstances of the books, delivered by a woman who is seeing her lover again for the first time after a long while apart during which she feared he was dead. I am not sure it would have worked with the new timeline.

That’s really all I can say on this issue. The scene was always intended to be disturbing… but I do regret if it has disturbed people for the wrong reasons.”

Edited by kissdbyfire