Twitterly dee dee dum dum ...

Zorral

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What does it say that social media is generally operating at a loss?

Streaming services are having a hard time too. But hey, I here cyrpto and NFTs are doing great!

I don't think we understand modern markets and it's only going to get worse as climate change causes mass migrations. And we have no idea what the water wars of the future will look like, but do not lie to yourself, they're coming.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:19 AM, Tywin et al. said:

You can never take "Moy governor can beat up your governor" away from the child in me.

Also, since we've been discussing Elon's losses, it's crazy to be reminded that Zuckerberg has lost around $100B just in 2022. 

Advertising is very lucrative.  But the rubber needs to meet the road somewhere.  

We haven't been in a recession the last few quarters and even if we were, the media would have pointed towards the established bug bear.  

A cynic would expect a shit of bad official statistics the next quarter or two.  But we'll hear all about how the Biden economy is roaring in 18 to 20 months.  Like how the jobs report went from million plus new jobs to 10s of thousands last quarter.  LDLAS.

On 12/23/2022 at 1:47 PM, Spockydog said:

Not necessarily. Fusion power = limitless desalination.

The race is on.

If we just use 1950's fission tech, we have energy for the next 10000 years for about 20 billion or so people.  Probably more and longer.

People that are anti progress on those metrics are anti people in general.  Stop rooting for people that want you dead.  (Not sure where Spocky falls on this range, but the point stands on its own.)  

Cheap energy leads to prosperity and lower birth rates.  If you fancy yourself an environmentalist and are anti fission, you're just an indroctinated useful idiot for the oligarchy.  

Fission works.  Anyone against it is anti people.  Even the bottom 1% need electricity to make their lives better.

On 12/22/2022 at 9:22 PM, mcbigski said:

Well he didn't get to be the richest person in the world for a while without a whole lot government cheese.  I saw today that Starlink is up even stronger in Ukraine than before and that Twitter is censoring tweets questioning whether having Zyy drag us into nuclear war is a good idea or not.  As much as I'd love him to be a free speech warrior, he's more likely controlled opposition.

Sigh, you people have such simplistic notions on how people operate. 

On 12/23/2022 at 5:24 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What does it say that social media is generally operating at a loss?

It isn't. At least Facebook isn't. Market cap is down but the company is still doing well. It's more about expectations than actual business figures. Not sure what exactly those expectations were. More growth, obviously, but where that was supposed to come from is anybody's guess. It isn't specific to Meta (Facebook), though. Many tech companies have seen their market cap evaporate over the last year. 

1 hour ago, JGP said:

tHe BaTmAn IsN't OwNeD

HA! 

HAHAHAHAHA

AH HA! 

HA HA!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

UH

UH 

UHHAHAHA! 

It's all you, E! Oh my god. You just made me laugh hysterically as James Bond is about to get cbt by Dr. Lecter. 

I know Elon was a hero to a lot of people before he bought Twitter, people who admired electric cars and rockets. Who admired this or that or whatever. 

But after he bought Twitter, after everyone had their baba taken away and this dude has gone full Tiger Blood? 

That's when Elon Musk became a hero to me. 

On 12/27/2022 at 2:24 AM, JGP said:

tHe BaTmAn IsN't OwNeD

So i have to say something. There's a little room in my heart where I keep things that aren't supposed to be. 

My real feelings about "student" ""debt"" (there aren't enough quotation marks in this Matrix you people interpret as "world" to put around this last word coming up here to convey my level of irony so I won't even try) reform.

What I actually did last summer

My unabashed love of Gwen Stefani, feminist icon

That kinda stuff. 

Anyway, in this room in my heart there's a teeny tiny scrap of sympathy for Elon. That dude probably doesn't have any friends. 

Sychophants, leechers, liars, and charlatans I guarantee you he's lousy with. And it's fun to point and laugh at Gavin Belson(en(in(?))) and his Blood Boy, but that's a human being too and in all candor it makes me sad. Not because Elon is a man who deserves having good friends or anything, it's just that the further down this path of isolated batman he goes the less possible it becomes that he will come back to planet earth. He isn't gonna become Hitler or something, but I have known a LOT of people who really believed in this guy and these technocrats. I'm sorry for them as well, I guess. And for the fact that so many people in this country and the alleged 'developed' world have so little to believe in that they've hitched their emotions to the fortune and fortunes of these people who see them as a dot on a graph. Elon helped create those conditions too, so don't think I'm trying to in any way cast him as a victim. 

Elon deserves his ridicule, he's acted like an ass and that has consequences. And that assedness involves a fuckuvalot more sins than being a cyberclown the last few years.

That being said. He's a person. And I have never had access to that kind of power- I don't know what that's like, to have people after your money all the time probably does make a motherfucker cynical. But I'm sad that he probably passed a theshold a long time ago where he's not coming back to us (US, like, planet earth. Actual human reality instead of his billions bubble).

Just my feels, cynicisms aside. 

If Elon has bots sifting through the web looking for keywords associated with him -

That's Elon Musk ELON MUSK elon musk of SPACE X and/or TESLA or TWITTER

- I'd tell that dude to chill. Unplug it baby. Find an actual human friend, maybe some real motherfucker he used to know in college, and go skiing. Books and BluRays only. [Skiing sucks, snowboard] The same advice I'd give any other human, except most of them don't have the means to actually do that. 

Alternatively, I have a TV. I can get the weed and vodka if E gets the soda pop and doritos and we can play through the MCC on Legendary for five or six days. Just take a week out of his year and let the man remember what it is to just kill some fucking aliens and take a shit without thinking about stocks and shit. As long as he keeps his Moon Man boondoggles, racial(I just assume) theories, and appeasement crap to himself we might even have fun. 

Sorry, can't sleep. 

By Paul Krugman: Did the Tesla Story Ever Make Sense?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/27/opinion/tesla-stock-elon-musk.html

If you’re one of those people who bought Bitcoin or another cryptocurrency near its peak last fall, you’ve lost a lot of money. Is it any consolation to know that you would have lost a similar amount if you had bought Tesla stock instead?

OK, probably not. Still, Tesla stock’s plunge is an opportunity to talk about what makes businesses successful in the information age. And in the end, Tesla and Bitcoin may have more in common than you think.

It’s natural to attribute Tesla’s recent decline — which is, to be sure, part of a general fall in tech stocks, but an exceptionally steep example — to Elon Musk’s purchase of Twitter and the reputational self-immolation that followed. Indeed, given what we’ve seen of Musk’s behavior, I wouldn’t trust him to feed my cat, let alone run a major corporation. Furthermore, Tesla sales have surely depended at least in part on the perception that Musk himself is a cool guy. Who, aside from MAGA types who probably wouldn’t have bought Teslas anyway, sees him that way now?

On the other hand, as someone who has spent much of his professional life in academia, I’m familiar with the phenomenon of people who are genuinely brilliant in some areas but utter fools in other domains. For all I know, Musk is or was a highly effective leader at Tesla and SpaceX.

Even if that’s the case, though, it’s hard to explain the huge valuation the market put on Tesla before the drop, or even its current value. After all, to be that valuable Tesla would have to generate huge profits, not just for a few years but in a way that could be expected to continue for many years to come.

Now, some technology companies have indeed been long-term moneymaking machines. Apple and Microsoft still top the list of the most profitable U.S. corporations some four decades after the rise of personal computers.

But we more or less understand the durability of the dominance of Apple and Microsoft, and it’s hard to see how Tesla could ever achieve something similar, no matter how brilliant its leadership. Both Apple and Microsoft benefit from strong network externalities — loosely speaking, everyone uses their products because everyone else uses their products. ....

All the Muskie's friends and colleagues are purportedly very angry indeed with Netflix, for the portrayal of EM "as a  bad and stupid man' in Glass Onion.

How did they know that bad and stupid guy is Musk?  The movie says the bad and stupid guy is named Miles Bron. So why in the world would they think this is Musk?

"Glass Onion" Slammed for Depicting Elon Musk as a "Stupid Man" (bestlifeonline.com)

Archived