In my defense . . .

Bowen Marsh

I had no personal hate against Lord Commander Jon Snow.  I was not conspiring behind his back.  I thought he was doing a poor job but those bad decisions were his to make.  I disagreed with some of his decisions but obeyed them like any good man of the watch would.  I gave him the respect which is due a high ranking officer.  Out of duty and out of fear.  Not a one of us wanted to end up a victim like poor Janos Slynt.  One must be careful around our emotionally explosive leader. 

The assassination was solely done to stop Jon from leading a wildling raid on Lord Roose Bolton who happens to be the new Warden of the North.  It was too late to reason with Jon.  He had recently shown his unwillingness to debate and listen.  He had become tyrannical of late.  The announcement at the Shield Hall was not a negotiation but rather a declaration.  Jon declared his intentions and had already set the stage for a wildling attack on Lord Roose and his vassals. 

I am not without sympathy for the commander's predicament.  He loved his sister.  All of us left loved ones and family behind.  Through wars and rebellions we remained at our post even when our own families back home were in danger.  The duty we have to our sworn family at the wall supersede the duty we had to the families we left behind.  For that is the only way a Brotherhood made up of men coming from different loyalties and families can work together for the good of Westeros.  Jon could not accept the requirements of his duties and was not really fit for command but we nevertheless tried to work with him because he was voted in according to the rules.  It was only when he declared war on Lord Roose that prompted us to act. 

Sincerely,

Bowen Marsh, Lord Steward of the Night's Watch. 

29 minutes ago, Bowen Marsh said:

Not a one of us wanted to end up a victim like poor Janos Slynt. 

Slynt was not a victim, he was guilty of insubordination, a criminal offence in your institution. He refused a direct order from the Lord Commander multiple times. You should be well aware that death is the standard penalty for such activities.

1 hour ago, Bowen Marsh said:

I had no personal hate against Lord Commander Jon Snow.  I was not conspiring behind his back.  I thought he was doing a poor job but those bad decisions were his to make.  I disagreed with some of his decisions but obeyed them like any good man of the watch would.  I gave him the respect which is due a high ranking officer.  Out of duty and out of fear.  Not a one of us wanted to end up a victim like poor Janos Slynt.  One must be careful around our emotionally explosive leader. 

The assassination was solely done to stop Jon from leading a wildling raid on Lord Roose Bolton who happens to be the new Warden of the North.  It was too late to reason with Jon.  He had recently shown his unwillingness to debate and listen.  He had become tyrannical of late.  The announcement at the Shield Hall was not a negotiation but rather a declaration.  Jon declared his intentions and had already set the stage for a wildling attack on Lord Roose and his vassals. 

I am not without sympathy for the commander's predicament.  He loved his sister.  All of us left loved ones and family behind.  Through wars and rebellions we remained at our post even when our own families back home were in danger.  The duty we have to our sworn family at the wall supersede the duty we had to the families we left behind.  For that is the only way a Brotherhood made up of men coming from different loyalties and families can work together for the good of Westeros.  Jon could not accept the requirements of his duties and was not really fit for command but we nevertheless tried to work with him because he was voted in according to the rules.  It was only when he declared war on Lord Roose that prompted us to act. 

Sincerely,

Great letter.

I do feel your title should have 3 dots for the ellipses not two though as Lord Marsh can count very well. 

Ah Bowen, 

You are not a bad man. But the picture you paint is incomplete. Similarly to your understanding of the bigger pitcher.

While I do understand your fear. Your lack of understanding of that bigger picture, and the consequence of your actions has severely hurt the Watch and the Kingdom as a whole.

Firstly, Janos Slynt.

He disobeyed a direct order from his Lord Commander in a public setting. Surely you understand why that cannot be tolerated in a military organization. The precedent it would set would be disastrous. The Lord Commander must be obeyed, or everything falls apart. The Watch was already on shaky ground. Janos, without realizing he was being given another chance, made a poor choice in pushing so far with the Lord Commander, he was forced into a position of action. Alas, he paid for that poor choice with his life.

Secondly, The Bolton's.

They have been Wardens of the North for 5 minutes and they are already skinning people and making demands of the Watch unheard of under the Starks. This is a dangerous situation for the watch.  King Stannis was the only one in the whole realm to come to the defense of the Wall while under attack. Would you give up his wife and daughter so easily ? Do the laws of guest right mean nothing to you ? Are you a Frey ? You choosing to trust a Lord who has already skinned people over your own Lord Commander, in giving up protection of your guests during these dangerous times shows incredibly bad poor judgement.

Lastly, The Others.

How can a someone who's best skill is to count things not understand the danger posed by the White Walkers and the undead. Every life left north of the wall becomes an enemy. This is where the true danger lies. The Old Bear died going north, and the news that came back surely must have given you pause. While I do understand Wildings have been looked at as the enemy for a long time, your oath is to the Realms of Men, not the Realms of Men, except the Wildings. In light of the news coming back from north of the wall, did you not reflect on this? Did you not listen to your Lord Commander as to WHY this needed to happen ? For shame Bowen. For shame.

Your Lord Commander deserved more than your cowardice.

Sincerely,

A Stark Loyalist

On 12/21/2022 at 5:39 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

Sincerely,

Bowen is the hero at the wall.  Don't let the silly demonizing from the Jon fan club bother you.  

Sincerely,

An eloquent defense.  

Sincerely,

Wun Wun is coming for you

On 12/22/2022 at 12:35 PM, Northern Sword said:

Ah Bowen, 

You are not a bad man. But the picture you paint is incomplete. Similarly to your understanding of the bigger pitcher.

While I do understand your fear. Your lack of understanding of that bigger picture, and the consequence of your actions has severely hurt the Watch and the Kingdom as a whole.

Firstly, Janos Slynt.

He disobeyed a direct order from his Lord Commander in a public setting. Surely you understand why that cannot be tolerated in a military organization. The precedent it would set would be disastrous. The Lord Commander must be obeyed, or everything falls apart. The Watch was already on shaky ground. Janos, without realizing he was being given another chance, made a poor choice in pushing so far the Lord Commander he was forced into a position of action. Alas, he paid for that poor choice with his life.

Secondly, The Bolton's.

They have been Wardens of the North for 5 minutes and they are already skinning people and making demands of the Watch unheard of under the Starks. This is a dangerous situation for the watch.  King Stannis was the only one in the whole realm to come to the defense of the Wall while under attack. Would you give up his wife and daughter so easily ? Do the laws of guest right mean nothing to you ? Are you a Frey ? You choosing to trust a Lord who has already skinned people over your own Lord Commander, in giving up protection of your guests during these dangerous times shows incredibly bad poor judgement.

Lastly, The Others.

How can a someone who's best skill is to count things not understand the danger posed by the White Walkers and the undead. Every life left north of the wall becomes an enemy. This is where the true danger lies. The Old Bear died going north, and the news that came back surely must have given you pause. While I do understand Wildings have been looked at as the enemy for a long time, your oath is to the Realms of Men, not the Realms of Men, except the Wildings. In light of the news coming back from north of the wall, did you not reflect on this? Did you not listen to your Lord Commander as to WHY this needed to happen ? For shame Bowen. For shame.

Your Lord Commander deserved more than your cowardice.

Sincerely,

A Stark Loyalist

All of this and more… Bowen was conspiring against Jon since ASoS. He wanted to take sides himself, he wanted to side with Tywin because he was sure Tywin would win in the end. So, here’s a man, and I use the word lightly, who is out for himself above all else because he always wants to side with whoever he thinks will win. Too bad for him that he’s so stupid and so myopic because of his bigotry that he never picks the actual winner - going all the way back to Mad Aerys! :rofl:

He’s petty, cowardly, untrustworthy, resentful, stupid, disloyal, pathetic. And he deserves everything that’s coming his way. 

Sincerely,

Yea, but you still stabbed a man in the back. 

11 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

All of this and more… Bowen was conspiring against Jon since ASoS. He wanted to take sides himself, he wanted to side with Tywin because he was sure Tywin would win in the end. So, here’s a man, and I use the word lightly, who is out for himself above all else because he always wants to side with whoever he thinks will win. Too bad for him that he’s so stupid and so myopic because of his bigotry that he never picks the actual winner - going all the way back to Mad Aerys! /cdn-cgi/mirage/d061fbc8a99b74d9127f1b0a19a8d29641ec2a7e3541937299ee1540bc7d0bf1/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_rofl2.gif

He’s petty, cowardly, untrustworthy, resentful, stupid, disloyal, pathetic. And he deserves everything that’s coming his way. 

That’s the point.

Bowen & co. don’t actually believe in Nights Watch neutrality.

They support the Lannister/Bolton regime.

Archived