Tully Madness

Sydney Mae

On 4/14/2023 at 5:33 AM, Roswell said:

@Sydney Mae

Bowen Marsh had just gotten things sorted out at the wall and Arya sticks him with that sword.  Tragedy and more tragedy.  

Jon’s last message to Arya, stick em with the pointy end. We already know this kind of thinking will lead to nothing good. Revenge is the way of the Starks. Arya is obsessed with it. 

On 1/15/2023 at 8:47 PM, Sydney Mae said:

The Tully sisters went mad.  Catelyn Tully-Stark and Lysa Tully-Arryn were showing signs of madness and emotional fragility.  Lysa had it from her youth to her death.  Catelyn lost it at the wedding.  She cut Aegon Frey's throat and killed him.  Catelyn went mad that minute.  There is insanity in the Tully blood.  Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon are half Tully.  Cat's brood inherited the gene predisposing them to insanity.  I know stress can trigger the disease.   

A lot of people get subjected to prolonged stress and they do not snap.  The slaves in Meereen suffered more than Catelyn and Lysa.  Madness or the predisposition to become insane do run in the Tullys and their children. 

On 1/15/2023 at 8:47 PM, Sydney Mae said:

The Tully sisters went mad.  Catelyn Tully-Stark and Lysa Tully-Arryn were showing signs of madness and emotional fragility.  Lysa had it from her youth to her death.  Catelyn lost it at the wedding.  She cut Aegon Frey's throat and killed him.  Catelyn went mad that minute.  There is insanity in the Tully blood.  Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon are half Tully.  Cat's brood inherited the gene predisposing them to insanity.  I know stress can trigger the disease.   

Trauma from repeated stress and this new revelation fully explains Arya's mental instability. 

On 1/25/2023 at 8:40 PM, Rosetta Stone said:

It cannot be ignored and it should part of the factors to consider when evaluating the chances of Cat's children losing their minds.  I believe it has already happened to Arya.  Sansa has a smooth temper and good emotional control.  Being dumb doesn't mean she will go crazy.  I don't think Sansa will.  If another Stark besides Arya is to go batshit, it will be Bran.  Though I would not be surprised if it is only Arya who is crazy.   

Arya for certain. Jon is on the edge and teetering. 

19 hours ago, Kierria said:

Trauma from repeated stress and this new revelation fully explains Arya's mental instability. 

Lysa's instability has been known since the first published book in 1996.  A sleep-deprived mother "going mad" after an assassin tried to murder her comatose 7-year-old son was also published in 1996.  27 years ago is not "new", and nothing in this thread is a "revelation".

Hereditary madness is such a ludicrous claim for Targaryen fans to be pushing anyway.  Targaryens are the only family in Westeros famously prone to madness.  Claiming that being a product of multiple generations of incestuous inbreeding protects Dany from becoming mad is extremely illogical, but let's go for it.  If there being no evidence of any children of Targaryen mothers going mad proves that Dany can't go mad, show us the evidence of children of Tully mothers going mad.  There is none.  At least be consistent with your arguments.

Then there's the fact that none of Catelyn's children have shown any signs whatsoever of going mad, which trumps any hereditary disposition.  Meanwhile, Dany is currently conversing with blades of grass in the Dothraki Sea.  I blame her illness on that more than madness, but it is certainly a better case that Dany will go mad than any Stark-Tully madness "theories".

People who love Dany should talk about how awesome Dany is.  I see no need to trash every other character (about non-existent madness of all things) in an attempt to make Dany look good.

It would be surprising if Catelyn or her children did not have problems with mental health, if only because any normal person would be traumatised by such experiences.

We don’t describe soldiers as “mad” who have been traumatised by their experiences.

On 4/30/2023 at 5:36 AM, Bowen 747 said:

A lot of people get subjected to prolonged stress and they do not snap.  The slaves in Meereen suffered more than Catelyn and Lysa.  Madness or the predisposition to become insane do run in the Tullys and their children. 

Arya went crazy first. Rickon will probably go mad next.  A weak mind in a trying environment could mess up the Rickster.  

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

What book is this again? Or is it fanfiction.net instead?

No book I’ve read, must be fanfiction.net! :lol:

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

How is Rickon weak-minded?

I don’t even understand this one… he’s like 5 now? Mind-boggling how silly people are willing to look to defend some truly pathetic and inane stuff, fuck me. 

40 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t even understand this one… he’s like 5 now?

He might be the ripe old age of 6 by now, but he was 4 the last time we saw him.  I'm not sure if any of the many anti-Rickon posters have ever met a 4-year-old before.  He cried when his parents both left Winterfell without him... proving that he is a weak-minded, wild, insane child.

18 minutes ago, StarkTullies said:

He might be the ripe old age of 6 by now,

Yeah, 5 or 6 now since he was all of 3 at the start of AGoT. 

18 minutes ago, StarkTullies said:

but he was 4 the last time we saw him.  I'm not sure if any of the many anti-Rickon posters have ever met a 4-year-old before.  He cried when his parents both left Winterfell without him... proving that he is a weak-minded, wild, insane child.

Indeed. And here I thought the absolute stupidly of some arguments and the utter lack of empathy and compassion couldn’t get any worse. Colour me astonished.

On 4/30/2023 at 5:36 AM, Bowen 747 said:

The plight of the Westeros lower class puts them in consistent state of misery and pain.  They cope and live without going mad.  Arya lost it because of this trait she inherited from Cat. Her personality too is tense and reacts strongly to stress.  

Rickon was losing himself to Shaggydog because the instincts of the animal overpower his feeble reason.  It wasn't madness but the boy going wild.  He sure has a taste for human flesh with garlic by now but that in itself is not crazy to the Skagos people.  It would look insane to normal people though.  

Arya is like TNT.  She comes in small but she can blow instantly.  That she is losing her sanity make her all the more dangerous.  She is more Aunt Lysa like.  Catelyn had her emotions in check most of the time.  Arya and Lysa get upset very quickly. 

Edited by The Lord of the Crossing

On 4/25/2023 at 10:16 PM, Darth Sidious said:

Jon’s last message to Arya, stick em with the pointy end. We already know this kind of thinking will lead to nothing good. Revenge is the way of the Starks. Arya is obsessed with it. 

And those Starks are slowly digging their own graves.