US Politics: Catch the big crook under the “Big Cone”

Ser Scot A Ellison

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Oh I don’t know about that… the biggest supporters of whistleblowers around here are the far right wing kooks.  There is even a house two doors down from my in laws that has a big wooden sign in their front yard that looks like a flag and on the white stripes it says “Politicians must support ‘real’ whistleblowers exposing government corruption.”

It all just depends on what you want your whistle blown on.

2 hours ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Yeah there's no point pretending there's any kind of ideological champion of whistleblowers in our politics. There's allies of convenience. 

I've known lots of Rightie types who love Assange and Snowden, despite seeming to know less about them than I do (and I don't even know if I'm spelling their fucking names right, so...) because they're Anti-Gov champions, but they hate Danielle Manning because... "something, something... definitely not the trans thing..." So, IDK. 

I honestly think that most folks on most sides of most issues have no idea what the fuck they're talking about and latch emotionally to the first argument/activity/actor who aligns with them emotionally. But I'm not sayin nothin nobody don't already know

Discourse!

I'm sorry, no, this is a bunch of horseshit.  Posing as if it's "both sides" and there's no ideological congruence between the left and protecting whistleblowers is simply ignorant of history.  While it's true most of the legislation that actually does protect whistleblowers - and necessarily civil servants - received overwhelming bipartisan support, it was all initiated by Democrats BECAUSE it is a leftist tenet - from the Freedom of Information Act to the Civil Service Reform Act to Ethics in Government Act to the actual Whistleblowers Protection Act.  None of this would have been passed if it was just the right and/or Republicans running Congress/the government.

The crazy right might pay lip service to whistleblowing, of course, but that doesn't mean shit.  Whereas on the left they actually have.  One practical example of this is the Merit Systems Protection Board - which is the agency set up to protect civil servants upon whistleblowing.  Trump let the board lapse into not being able to have a quorum, meaning the board was functionally unable to carry out their role in protecting whistleblowers.  And of course, come on, when we're talking about protecting civil servants, the last people that are going to do that are Trumpists.  They think civil servants ARE the enemy and the key cog in the evil "deep state."

Like, even going back to THE modern example of a whistleblower - Daniel Ellsberg - it was the left that pushed for his protections and the publishing of the Pentagon Papers.  Even though the Pentagon Papers were predominately damaging to the Johnson - a Democratic - administration.  Do you think all the "anti-gobment" types on the right would do the same to a Republican administration?  GTFO.

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm sorry, no, this is a bunch of horseshit.  Posing as if it's "both sides" and there's no ideological congruence between the left and protecting whistleblowers is simply ignorant of history.  While it's true most of the legislation that actually does protect whistleblowers - and necessarily civil servants - received overwhelming bipartisan support, it was all initiated by Democrats BECAUSE it is a leftist tenet - from the Freedom of Information Act to the Civil Service Reform Act to Ethics in Government Act to the actual Whistleblowers Protection Act.  None of this would have been passed if it was just the right and/or Republicans running Congress/the government.

The crazy right might pay lip service to whistleblowing, of course, but that doesn't mean shit.  Whereas on the left they actually have.  One practical example of this is the Merit Systems Protection Board - which is the agency set up to protect civil servants upon whistleblowing.  Trump let the board lapse into not being able to have a quorum, meaning the board was functionally unable to carry out their role in protecting whistleblowers.  And of course, come on, when we're talking about protecting civil servants, the last people that are going to do that are Trumpists.  They think civil servants ARE the enemy and the key cog in the evil "deep state."

Like, even going back to THE modern example of a whistleblower - Daniel Ellsberg - it was the left that pushed for his protections and the publishing of the Pentagon Papers.  Even though the Pentagon Papers were predominately damaging to the Johnson - a Democratic - administration.  Do you think all the "anti-gobment" types on the right would do the same to a Republican administration?  GTFO.

I mean I'll take your word for it if it comes up on Final Jeopardy

I don't know that much about it

I'm more interested in the political and political theater shit

2 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

I'm more interested in the political and political theater shit

In other words, more interested in talking out of your ass without being informed.  Yeah, sounds like the far right.

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

In other words, more interested in talking out of your ass without being informed.  Yeah, sounds like the far right.

Dawg

I posted a -decidedly neutral- review of the facts as I understand them. I was also open and honest about the fact that I didn't know much about the stuff besides general lived-in observances. 

"talking out of your ass" 

Dude, I was just trying to be involved in the conversation in what capacity I, myself, thought might glean me some kind of insight or further observable. From how you people react (or don't react) if nothing else. 

Learned somethin' eh? 

"without being informed." 

28 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Dawg

I posted a -decidedly neutral- review of the facts as I understand them. I was also open and honest about the fact that I didn't know much about the stuff besides general lived-in observances. 

Dawg.  You posted asserting that because in your experience some people on the far right express sympathy for Edward Snowden, this means therefore therefore there's no "ideological champion" of protecting whistleblowers.  I pointed out this was horseshit and explained why, then you responded by belittling my providing political context as trivial - e.g. "comes up on Final Jeopardy."  Instead, you said, you were interested in the "political theater" aspect of this discussion.  Which, as opposed to talking about what's actually happened as I tried, I can only assume means you just want to talk out of your ass.

And who do we have here in the lovely state of Maryland? Seems the FBI acted just in time to prevent assorted nut jobs from wrecking your power grid, or at least a portion of it. 

It's almost like there is some group or another coordinating these infrastructure attacks...

Anyhow...

FBI agents said they thwarted a plot to take out Maryland's power grid after a neo-Nazi and his girlfriend blabbed to an informant (msn.com)

• The FBI says its agents thwarted a plan to take out Maryland's power grid. 
  • The FBI said the people accused of planning the attack blabbed to an FBI informant online. 
  • Sarah Clendaniel and Brandon Russell were charged with conspiracy to destroy an energy facility. 

FBI agents said they thwarted a plan by a neo-Nazi and his girlfriend to take out Maryland's power grid after the couple blabbed to an informant in an online chat room. 

The Department of Justice filed charges in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland on Monday against Sarah Beth Clendaniel and Brandon Clint Russell. Clendaniel and Russel were charged with conspiracy to destroy an energy facility. 

In a probable cause affidavit, the FBI detailed the accusations against Clendaniel and Russell and alleged that the couple planned an attack on an "encrypted communication application."

Russell, who the FBI said admitted to subscribing to Nazi beliefs during an interview, "made statements in direct messages to [an FBI informant] throughout much of 2022 regarding conducting critical infrastructure attacks, including statements about sniper attacks against substations, and how conducting a small number of attacks on electrical substations could cause a 'cascading failure,'" the affidavit said. 

Interestingly, most of the conservative commentators on the thread were insistent this was a 'set up' by the FBI, or at least an overreach on their part.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

Oh a ballon is definitely getting painted on that plane. Not only is it the first ever air-to-air kill for an F22, it's the first US air-to-air kill since 2017 and only the second since 1999. And I believe it's the first ever air-to-air kill over the lower 48 US land/territorial waters.

I am sure more than a few birds have had the misfortune to be in the flight path of a military plane over the US.

3 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

The current D slate of possible candidates looks somewhere between dismal and lackluster.  

Oh I strongly disagree with that.  In particular, the Democratic bench looks a whole hell of a lot better than the GOP bench.  Unfortunately, Biden's almost certainly running for reelection.  Which means we're waiting til 2028.

There is no GoP bench right now (apart from Haley), no one wants to be the target of Trump's unhinged rants. Biden will probably announce sometime after the SoTU, but there arent too many people enthused about his re-election bid. To be honest, at some point elections have to stop being about surviving (i.e., fending off a Trump Presidency) and more about thriving (i.e, have a dynamic leader in charge of our journey in the 21st century). What a pathetic state of affairs we have right now.

On 2/6/2023 at 9:11 AM, Fez said:

Oh a ballon is definitely getting painted on that plane. Not only is it the first ever air-to-air kill for an F22, it's the first US air-to-air kill since 2017 and only the second since 1999. And I believe it's the first ever air-to-air kill over the lower 48 US land/territorial waters.

May also be the highest altitude air-to-air kill ever for a plane.

Trivial.

The cycle always seems to run this way. The Republicans vilify each other in the race for the nomination, Democrats get excited about how much damage they're doing, then one of them wins and all is forgotten, by R voters and candidates both.

Archived