NBA - the King passes Cap, but his team are still crap.

BigFatCoward

It's really hard to predict NBA finals as pretty much every single post-season is going to have a major contender (or more) fail due to injury. In theory, I think a healthy Bucks squad beats a healthy Boston squad, with Philly absolutely able to beat either of them on a given series. One cornerstone goes down, though, or even a vital contributor, and someone like Cleveland could come together (and get lucky) and sneak into the Finals.

The west is hard to guess even if we assume everyone's healthy. I agree that the Suns are probably the Vegas favorite, but I'll be rooting hard for the Nuggets. Everyone keeps talking about the Clippers as a playoff juggernaut, but it's hard to tell if George and Leonard are just sand-bagging the regular season, or if injuries are actually hampering them.

Meanwhile in Bulls land, I haven't disliked this roster and coach so much since the immediate post-Jordan teardown teams. I don't think in my entire life has there not been a single Bulls player I'm not really happy to see on court. Usually I have a bench all-hustle guy to root for. I guess Derrick Jones Jr is fun to watch as a beanpole with crazy hops. I found Karnisovas' press conference to be a complete insult to Bulls fans. The roster is pathetically underperforming, and he's talking about being a buyer. I wholly blame Jerry Fucking Reinsdorf.

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

It's really hard to predict NBA finals as pretty much every single post-season is going to have a major contender (or more) fail due to injury. In theory, I think a healthy Bucks squad beats a healthy Boston squad, with Philly absolutely able to beat either of them on a given series. One cornerstone goes down, though, or even a vital contributor, and someone like Cleveland could come together (and get lucky) and sneak into the Finals.

The west is hard to guess even if we assume everyone's healthy. I agree that the Suns are probably the Vegas favorite, but I'll be rooting hard for the Nuggets. Everyone keeps talking about the Clippers as a playoff juggernaut, but it's hard to tell if George and Leonard are just sand-bagging the regular season, or if injuries are actually hampering them.

Meanwhile in Bulls land, I haven't disliked this roster and coach so much since the immediate post-Jordan teardown teams. I don't think in my entire life has there not been a single Bulls player I'm not really happy to see on court. Usually I have a bench all-hustle guy to root for. I guess Derrick Jones Jr is fun to watch as a beanpole with crazy hops. I found Karnisovas' press conference to be a complete insult to Bulls fans. The roster is pathetically underperforming, and he's talking about being a buyer. I wholly blame Jerry Fucking Reinsdorf.

The Cavs have looked great the past couple of weeks.  They finally seem to be starting to gel with Okoro figuring things out and becoming a decent corner three guy offensively, which means it no longer feels like they're playing 4on5 on offense when he's on the court.  They're also signing Danny Green, whose shooting helps address their biggest weakness.  Plus, Mobley really seems to be making a mid-season leap and has the ability to just assert his will on a game at times.  His passing ability is incredible for a big man.  You can tell he's a coach's son.

My main concern with them is just their lack of experience come playoff time.  They've got one of the youngest rosters in the league and only a couple of guys have extensive playoff experience.  I think Love is the only one who has won a title, and he's not even in the rotation right now.  And I guess Danny Green has won too, but he's just joining the team.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Kyrie and Luka putting up great stats when playing together and still losing both games should surprise nobody. 

The Wolves are just too good! :P

Man the West is crazy bunched up. The difference between 4th and 11th is next to nothing. 

Ben Simmons' coach knows what's up.

Nets Coach: The Challenge With Ben Simmons Is He Is A Crappy Player | Defector

"...This one is the bleakest, I think, and also the most revealing. The challenge with Ben Simmons, as Vaughn lays it out, is that he can't function as the playmaker in a lineup featuring a big center type, because he not only can't shoot but isn't willing to try to shoot, and so the team won't be able to space the floor; and he also can't function next to an adept playmaker, because without the ball in his hands he is so comprehensively useless that it undermines whatever value the other playmaker's skills bring to the floor; and furthermore he can't function as the big guy in a small lineup stacked with shooters, because he doesn't rebound well enough to keep the team from getting muscled off the floor. Got all that? You can't play Ben Simmons with a big guy, or as a big guy; he can be used neither with a guard, nor as one. Simmons has that broad player profile in common with virtually every cashier at my local supermarket. You can see the challenge this poses!"

His advanced metrics are mediocre at best. Given that and he's averaging 7/6/6 on 44% FT shooting I just don't see how he's playable in any meaningful situation. He has no incentive to agree to a buyout, but once his contract is up I expect for him to retire (or more likely, be forced into retirement) Sucks the Nets owe him nearly $80m over the next two seasons. One more reason why they're going to be in winter for some time. 

I'd read some consternation online regarding Mac McClung, a G-Leaguer only signed to a 2-way contract to the Sixers like 2 days before the break (and after he was announced as a Slam Dunk Contestant). I watched some of his dunk videos the other day and already assumed he'd only lose to a dumb gimmick. Luckily the gimmicks lost the crowd and McClung going 4 for 4 and every dunk spectacular won us all over. A legitimate 540! Dude's shorter than I am!

I havent watched other than a few highlights, and everyone knows the all star game is a doss. 

But there are pictures of people standing around with their arms crossed, hands on hips etc when the ball is live, it's kinda pointless now. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I havent watched other than a few highlights, and everyone knows the all star game is a doss. 

But there are pictures of people standing around with their arms crossed, hands on hips etc when the ball is live, it's kinda pointless now. 

All-star games are rather unwatchable at this point, regardless of the sport. I guess baseball does it best.

Indications are that story is fake, and Howard had no such game.  Or at least, there is no video of it, and none of the local sports reporters commented on it, and given what a colossal stat line that is, feels safe to say that they would. 

Archived