Star Trek: Attack of Shatner's Toupee Tribble

Werthead

I too was caught up in the emotive aspects of the episode on first viewing, but on future reflection started getting a bit annoyed with the plot holes, as well as the somewhat ham-fisted analogies they were drawing with current events.

At any rate, has everyone watched Short Treks? One of the episodes in it provides nice context for Spock's testimony (when he talks about Una's secret)

On 6/23/2023 at 1:03 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Prodigy dumped by Parmount+ unfortunately, reversing the decision for the season 2 pick up and shopping it elsewhere.

I started watching Prodigy. I liked the first two episodes a lot.

21 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I too was caught up in the emotive aspects of the episode on first viewing, but on future reflection started getting a bit annoyed with the plot holes, as well as the somewhat ham-fisted analogies they were drawing with current events.

At any rate, has everyone watched Short Treks? One of the episodes in it provides nice context for Spock's testimony (when he talks about Una's secret)

There’s a new season of Short Treks?

An alright time travelling episode

Spoiler

I did like the pairing of La'an with alternate Jim Kirk. Too bad she didn't learn the irony of it.

Not sure how much money one can win at street chess to afford a nice looking hotel suit for a night in Toronto.

Good episode. I really like La'an as a character, and Christina Chong is doing a fine job of it.

Spoiler

Kirk being like catnip to her was sort of surprising, but the real depth to that relationship came when she realized that for once she had met someone who did not know about her infamous lineage and made no judgments about her because of her name.

Wesley's Kirk is different from Shatner and Pine, but he grew on me more this episode.

Spoiler

The real trick is the way they're leaning into an attempt to clean up so many temporal stories by using the tools they've been given...temporal wars, departments of temporal investigations, 2024...

Obviously the biggest issue with things is Spock declaring a specific time for WWIII and the Eugenics Wars and that it's essentially been ignored since the 90s...but things seem to be coalescing towards readjusting Khan's story so it all still makes some sort of sense.

Picard set the stage in season 2, and now SNW gives that a little more set up...the Romulan agent even references that things have changed, but even so, certain things have to happen, such as Khan existing to help get the Earth to where it needs to be...

It isn't a bad thing at all...

Also, as an aside, does the time shenanigans they're playing with help explain why someone such as La'an would still have a Noonien Singh surname in the 23rd century? She's likely not a however many removed granddaughter, but still a family descendant...as her family branch had to still be on Earth after Khan escapes on the Botany Bay, wouldn't your family change their name...?

Edited by Jaxom 1974

50 minutes ago, Ran said:

Good episode. I really like La'an as a character, and Christina Chong is doing a fine job of it.

Reveal hidden contents

Kirk being like catnip to her was sort of surprising, but the real depth to that relationship came when she realized that for once she had met someone who did not know about her infamous lineage and made no judgments about her because of her name.

Wesley's Kirk is different from Shatner and Pine, but he grew on me more this episode.

Spoiler

Maybe some time they'll let Paul Wesley actually play a non alternate Kirk...?  Which is why it's such a differnt/alternate take...

Finally a good episode of Strange New Worlds this season. I have to admit, this new actor playing Kirk, is slowly growing on me. This really fleshed out La’an as well, and helped make her feel more human.

Edited by sifth

On 6/29/2023 at 4:48 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:
  Hide contents

Obviously the biggest issue with things is Spock declaring a specific time for WWIII and the Eugenics Wars and that it's essentially been ignored since the 90s...but things seem to be coalescing towards readjusting Khan's story so it all still makes some sort of sense.

Yea did you notice she said “this was supposed to happen in the 90’s”? I guess they’re implying there’s been slight changes that shifted that forward, but that’s quite the can of worms there if Shatner Kirk remembers it differently to Wesley Kirk. Maybe SNW isn’t canon to TOS after all…

12 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea did you notice she said “this was supposed to happen in the 90’s”? I guess they’re implying there’s been slight changes that shifted that forward, but that’s quite the can of worms there if Shatner Kirk remembers it differently to Wesley Kirk. Maybe SNW isn’t canon to TOS after all…

This is basically trying to keep all the canon dates. So in TOS, they say the augment warlords came to power in 1992, and the agent basically says that "time" (which I take to mean the Federation's future temporal protection department) keeps pushing back preventing the Romulans from radically changing history like they want, but it leads to pushing things further and further into the future. Presumably if they really want to end SNW with TOS being pure canon, they can do something where a bunch of dates gets retroactively moved back to the "right" point.

40 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Given that there has to be at least one more time travel story this season I wonder what’s going on…

What makes you think that?

And the Romulan Agent, and to a lesser extent, the DTI agent, really give the impression that no matter how things go down, Khan is always going to rise somehow. The idea of "killing Hitler as baby" doesn't really work, because the time stream seems to require him to do what he's meant to do to ensure the world finds a way to move forward from it better...

Rewatching S1  of SNW with Linda, as I noted, and we just finished the fifth episode, "Spock Amok." What a fun hour of Star Trek, and Gia Sandhu is just terrific as T'Pring. Also liked how they handled Chapel and her burgeoning infatuation with Spock.

Pretty great episode, actually, especially depicting La'an's emotional state. Really liked the quiet hotel room scene there, with her throwing herself back and forth with her need for closeness and/or suppressed desire.

It seems they really want to revisit the whole 'Eugenics Wars' thing somehow in the new Trek shows. Perhaps even by having a show about it in the future. Picard's second season greatly hinted at that, and it seems obvious that this episode shows the fruits of the plans we saw in that season.

Interconnecting this with earlier Temporal (Cold) War plots is only reasonable. They could either go with establishing a new status quo for the Eugenics Wars - like a war in the mid-21st century before the first contact with the Vulcans, aka 'World War III' - or have a plot where the past timeline is changed back to the TOS status quo (augment reign of terror from 1992-1996). But the latter doesn't seem what they are going for.

It feels that folks obsession with augments and eugenics is much more extreme in the SNW timeline, especially in relation to Khan, than it was back in TOS ... where Khan Noonien Singh and his buddies are actually remembered quite fondly by most of the crew - as heroes and conquerors worthy of this dark age, not monsters who committed the most heinous crimes in human history.

Going with time-travelling Romulans was no bad idea ... but you cannot help but wonder why the hell they don't focus on preventing the super nova stuff. Sure enough, the agent there seems to come from the Star Empire, so she would be from the TNG era before Romulus is gone ... but still, if the Romulans can do time travel they sure as hell should do everything in their power to prevent the destruction of their planet.

Edited by Lord Varys

5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Pretty great episode, actually, especially depicting La'an's emotional state. Really liked the quiet hotel room scene there, with her throwing herself back and forth with her need for closeness and/or suppressed desire.

It’s a great example of how much better the pacing is in SNW than the hyper-frenetic Discovery. In the time it took La’an to have a nice character moment like this, Disco would’ve burned through 5 pages of dialogue.

And on the other end of the spectrum, this episode is basically the same premise as the entirety of Picard Season 2 and yet told a far more effective story in its single hour.

Meh, it appears like I was the only one who did not rate this episode. I mean, dont get me wrong, there were pieces in it that were nice, and the chemistry between Wesley and Chong was there, but I didnt think it landed.

Part of my issue with it is that it was another low budget episode without and pew-pew lasers (and you know, they film in Toronto so it was a bit lazy to just take the cameras outside rather than inside). Further, there have been too many episodes across various iterations of ST when our intrepid crewmembers return to contemporary North American Earth, and this episode didnt break new ground. My worry is that they are slowly losing momentum this season, but I hope Episode 4 is a return to form.

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

Meh, it appears like I was the only one who did not rate this episode. I mean, dont get me wrong, there were pieces in it that were nice, and the chemistry between Wesley and Chong was there, but I didnt think it landed.

Part of my issue with it is that it was another low budget episode without and pew-pew lasers (and you know, they film in Toronto so it was a bit lazy to just take the cameras outside rather than inside). Further, there have been too many episodes across various iterations of ST when our intrepid crewmembers return to contemporary North American Earth, and this episode didnt break new ground. My worry is that they are slowly losing momentum this season, but I hope Episode 4 is a return to form.

I was not hugely keen on this one either. It was trying to be City on the Edge of Forever, but not as good, just as the previous episode was trying to be Measure of Man but nowhere near as good (especially the fucking dumb-as-a-box-of-frogs-this-would-not-have-even-flown-on-Discovery-at-its-worst resolution).

It certainly wasn't shit, the actors were solid, there was some refreshment from the Voyage Home nods of time-travelling to a period when things are kinda okay, but it wasn't fantastic.