U.S. Politics: Great Men Master trends

Jace, Extat

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

To be fair, @mcbigski doesn't actually want that. I don't think he wants much or cares about much outside of what he's doing, kind of making him the height of straight white male privilege. Or to put it more bluntly:

I think that's sort of correct?

Ideally for me, we could all each do whatever the fuck we want.  If you let me be me, I'm obligated to let you be you, apart from when someone else is getting abused.  I don't see how that anything to do with privilege.  In fact that nullifies privilege if evenly applied.

Also not sure how that is anything like believing in nothing but I'm just a privileged handsome hung man genius.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

They Say we are in a 'soft civil war' and these mass shootings are a big part of it.

Seems to be given the massive disparity in who's perpetrating said shootings.

Honestly tells you a lot about the difference in mindset between the left and right that the people committing these shootings, police that coddle them, and perhaps most importantly politicians who sit there and continue to enable both of the former aren't turning up dead.

Like would any of use be surprised if one of the Uvalde victims parents killed Ted Cruz? You think these idiots ever realize how lucky they are?

5 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Ideally for me, we could all each do whatever the fuck we want.  If you let me be me, I'm obligated to let you be you, apart from when someone else is getting abused.  I don't see how that anything to do with privilege.  In fact that nullifies privilege if evenly applied.

Complete absence of rules just leads to oppression of some sort. The extreme Ayn Rand path will turn the US into Saudi Arabia. Certain people will have the complete freedom you desire. Certainly Alito and Thomas would be in the club.

Probably not you, though. Or any of us.

Laws, norms, and oversight processes keep people in check and make them play fair. When they're enforced, that is. Why is the highest court in the land subject to the lowest standards?

10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Ted Cruz and his wife are praying for the victims though according to Politico. So there's that.

Many years ago the Presbyterian church I attended in Ann Arbor, Michigan frequently had in its worship services the statement "We assume respsonsibility for all those things we pray for". If only that was a more common pledge. 

A friend of mine posted this quote from a CBS newsman who was at the Allen Outlet Mall yesterday:

”I never imagined in 100 years I would be thrust into the position of being the first responder on the site to take care of people,” he shared. “The first girl I walked up to was crouched down covering her head in the bushes, so I felt for a pulse, pulled her head to the side and she had no face.”

The reporter got a call from his son, who was working at the H&M store in the mall, about shots being fired. He raced to the mall, calling 911 to tell them there was a mass casualty incident and got there before any first responders arrived. He tried to help a woman and rolled her over onto her back, discovering she was dead but had covered and protected her young son with her body. He asked him if he was okay and all he could say was “my mom is hurt, my mom is hurt”. He pulled him around the corner and sat him down, he was covered from head to foot in blood.

Honestly, guys, I do not see things getting better in the US. I think that in ten years time women who wear pants in public will be arrested for not dressing  according to their gender, and every state will be open carry and police will be on every street corner. Or military.

Eta: two people at the H&M store were shot, his son was safe

Edited by Fragile Bird

When will the media and all the rest of us understand that Abbott is the most dangerous man in the country? He's making 'soft' civil war from angle, from murder of women denying them essential and fundamental health care, murder of anyone due to gunz, getting rid of education, libraries, and voting, immigration, civil rights of every kind, and doing it all by making laws. FL's clown may be emulating, but the clown shouts all over the place. Abbott just does it. He definitely plans to have TX the head of the neoConfederacy, from which secessionist position he exports the war of dominance upon the sane(er) states.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

A friend of mine posted this quote from a CBS newsman who was at the Allen Outlet Mall yesterday:

Allen, Texas is one of the fastest growing cities in the USA. It's a suburb north of Dallas in Collin County that had a population of 18,309 in 1990 and over 104,000 in 2020.  And it was the place where the 21-year-old who drove to El Paso in August 2019 and killed 23 people at a WalMart lived before his crime.

I really think that fast growing Sunbelt suburbs where almost everyone is a new resident who grew up someplace else are even more susceptible to creating these tragedies than the rest of the country. 

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I will simply never understand this:

That's why your ceiling is being my First Lady. Stick to decorating my Imperial Summer Palace in Hawaii and leave the meandering meme'dness of the masses to me baby. 

9 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

That's why your ceiling is being my First Lady. Stick to decorating my Imperial Summer Palace in Hawaii and leave the meandering meme'dness of the masses to me baby. 

Can't you at least get us a private island? And I simply cannot live without my own helicopter, a brand new Sega Genesis with all the Sonic games and some high end cutlery. Also don't be cheap on the towels. 

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Simple, inflation happened while Biden was president, hence Biden's fault, hence Trump better with the economy.

Economists of all ideologies were starting to talk about inflationary fears as early as 2018. Like with everything else, the pandemic just sped things up. That said, over the last 50 years or so the economy has been consistently better while Democrats held political power, but the American public never seems to understand this. And in my experience, when you try to explain this to your average person the conversation begins and ends with some form of "you're trying to raise my taxes."

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Economists of all ideologies were starting to talk about inflationary fears as early as 2018. Like with everything else, the pandemic just sped things up. That said, over the last 50 years or so the economy has been consistently better while Democrats held political power, but the American public never seems to understand this. And in my experience, when you try to explain this to your average person the conversation begins and ends with some form of "you're trying to raise my taxes."

It's a shame most people don't understand economics.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can't you at least get us a private island? And I simply cannot live without my own helicopter, a brand new Sega Genesis with all the Sonic games and some high end cutlery. Also don't be cheap on the towels. 

Private island??? My dear sweet boy, The Americas are our island. A hemisphere's worth of coastlines to choose from. I'll give you the moon too, but you'll have to let me establish supremacy on earth first. The Chinese won't kowtow themselves. 

No Mars, though. I can't trust the reactiveness of my future earth empire to a light delay of anything more than a few seconds. Plus, I'm not watching you eat potatoes you grew in your own shit. 

You want to build an empire from a place that allows ty, yes, ty, free access to firearms, just because.

I will lead the horse folk to Mars. The rest of you can go pew-pew. Our hooves shall walk on the ashes of your so called civilization.

12 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's a shame most people don't understand economics.

I'm not sure if some people who studied economics understand it. At the very least Stephen Moore doesn't. Organic chem is probably the hardest into course, but macro and mirco aren't that far behind.

5 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Private island??? My dear sweet boy, The Americas are our island. A hemisphere's worth of coastlines to choose from. I'll give you the moon too, but you'll have to let me establish supremacy on earth first. The Chinese won't kowtow themselves. 

No Mars, though. I can't trust the reactiveness of my future earth empire to a light delay of anything more than a few seconds. Plus, I'm not watching you eat potatoes you grew in your own shit. 

Just so long as there's a place to hunt humans for sport. It would be more entertaining to do on Venus. Or at the very least in Fiji. But don't forget the Sega. #priorities. 

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You want to build an empire from a place that allows ty, yes, ty, free access to firearms, just because.

Buddy, I'm from the Midwest. I've got three firearms less than 20 feet from me. One day I might even buy a Steyr AUG. I know, it's Austrian, but it was good enough for Karl in Die Hard. :P

Edited by Tywin et al.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure if some people who studied economics understand it. At the very least Stephen Moore doesn't. Organic chem is probably the hardest into course, but macro and mirco aren't that far behind.

Just so long as there's a place to hunt humans for sport. It would be more entertaining to do on Venus. Or at the very least in Fiji. But don't forget the Sega. #priorities. 

I once made a burner account called Pee'Tain (like Petain) specifically for the purpose of trolling Stephen Moore on Twitter. A one-shot weapon. Like a kind of AT gun, but on Twitter. 

So don't worry, I'll remember the Sega. ;) 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Buddy, I'm from the Midwest. I've got three firearms less than 20 feet from me. One day I might even buy an Aug. I know, it's Austrian, but it was good enough for Karl in Die Hard :P

QED.

Oh, and buy a Sig (Sauer). They're a northern German manufactuerer. Heckler & Koch, and Walther are southern Gemrans, and the Glocks are Austrians.