On and On About Harry & Meghan Part 4

Fragile Bird

Just now, Cas Stark said:

What's offensive about it?  It's a fact.  She's biracial.  

Dude if, upon re-reading, you can't see what's wrong with that, then nothing I can say is gonna help you. 

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

What's offensive about it?  It's a fact.  She's biracial.  

I have several mixed race friends, who all, very strongly, identify as being black. My friends are proud of their heritage, and if some random white dude was to sneer that they are not black but biracial, I'm pretty sure I know how they'd react. 

I may be behind the times here, but I always thought that the term 'Black' was used to describe people with African ancestry, regardless of how light their skin might be. Happy to be corrected. 

Edited by Spockydog

Just now, Spockydog said:

I have several mixed race friends, who all, very strongly, identify as being black. My friends are proud of their heritage, and if some random white dude was to sneer hat they are not black but mixed-race, I'm pretty sure I know how they'd react. 

And there is the difference.  Barack Obama is also biracial but identifies as black.  Meghan to my knowledge has never identified herself as black, but as mix-ed race, going so far as to say she was never treated like a 'black woman' until she married Harry.  The issues around driving/camping/shopping/walking while black is predicated on the individual visually appearing 'black' , if the cop/shop owner/karen looks at you and sees an Italian or a Brazilian, then it isn't going to be the same situation ,but I'm sure you will be offended by that as well. 

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I have several mixed race friends, who all, very strongly, identify as being black. My friends are proud of their heritage, and if some random white dude was to sneer that they are not black but biracial, I'm pretty sure I know how they'd react. 

Honestly I think it’s a holdover from some historical racist attitudes, anyone not totally white being considered other and so black. I don’t buy into that bullshit at all, although I get why some people do, or that there is some level of cultural motivation to identify as black. Either way I think it’s complex and kind of individual, but I generally think that trying to group everyone by race in simplistic terms is something I’d hoped we would be moving away from 

Just now, Cas Stark said:

And there is the difference.  Barack Obama is also biracial but identifies as black.  Meghan to my knowledge has never identified herself as black,

Hmmmmm...... 

African Americans know Meghan Markle is black. Yet many whites want to call her something else.

To many African Americans, Meghan Markle is simply black. So are Barack Obama, Kamala Harris, Halle Berry, August Wilson, Frederick Douglass and Booker T. Washington.

It doesn’t matter that one of their parents happened to be white or another ethnicity. African Americans are an embracing culture. If you have some of our blood running through your veins, we consider you one of us.

Maybe it goes back to the old one-drop rule. That was one of the Jim Crow laws passed in the South during the early 20th century to thwart racial equality and keep mixed-race people from passing as white. The law generally stated that if a person had even one ancestor of African ancestry — one drop of black blood — they were considered black.

It puzzles me why some white people get upset when Markle or Obama are identified in the media as “black.” I am often flooded with emails from whites insisting that they should be identified as “biracial.” I’m baffled as to why they care so much.

“Perhaps you can answer a question for me,” a reader emailed the other day. “In Britain, it seems, Meghan Markle is referred to as biracial. In the U.S., the press refers to her race (as) black. It was the same with Barack Obama. It strikes me that biracial is more accurate but wonder what you think? Or if you could explain it to me?”

Most of the emails I receive on the subject aren’t that polite. Some people are downright angry. I can only surmise that they feel like black people are trying to lay false claim to successful people who don’t really belong on our side of the aisle. It’s as if we want to hog all the credit for their success, without acknowledging the role the white side of them played.

Or maybe they are desperate to preserve America’s white majority, which is quickly being overtaken by people of color. Whatever the reason, it seems silly.

Most biracial Americans have no problem acknowledging both sides of their heritage, as they should. Regardless, they often are asked to choose.

According to a 2015 PEW Research Center survey, the majority of multiracial adults — 60% — are proud of their mixed-race background. At the same time, 55% said they had been subjected to racial slurs or jokes.

Markle, who has a black mother and a white father, wrote about her experiences growing up in Los Angeles in a piece for Elle Magazine in 2015. She once refused to follow a teacher’s direction to check the “white” box on a census form in her English class. While home on college break, she heard her mom called the N-word. “My skin rushed with heat,” she wrote. “I shared my mother’s heartache.”

During her first visit to South Africa last year, Markle spoke of her black heritage during a stop in Cape Town.

“On a personal note, may I just say that while I am here with my husband as a member of the royal family, I want you to know that for me, I am here as a mother, as a wife, as a woman, as a woman of color and as your sister,” she said as the crowd cheered.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Honestly I think it’s a holdover from some historical racist attitudes, anyone not totally white being considered other and so black. I don’t buy into that bullshit at all, although I get why some people do, or that there is some level of cultural motivation to identify as black. Either way I think it’s complex and kind of individual, but I generally think that trying to group everyone by race in simplistic terms is something I’d hoped we would be moving away from 

Indeed. But old white men don't get to decide who is and who isn't. 

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Isn’t that exactly what you are doing by saying anyone biracial is black?

No. All of a sudden, Cas Stark decided that Meghan Markle wasn't allowed to Identify as black. 

Whether she does or not, has nothing to do with me or Cas or you or anyone fucking else. And it was that bullshit I was reacting to. Because that's what it is. 

Anyone who actually read my posts properly would know this. 

Edited by Spockydog

I'll move away from bringing up race when I see a society where race isn't a factor in employment, housing and policing & many other aspects of society. Let's have a look at the latest report on the people that police the city I live in & my profession - both in the UK

Edited by Raja

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No. All of a sudden, Cas Stark decided that Meghan Markle wasn't allowed to Identify as black. 

Whether she does or not, has nothing to do with me or Cas or you or anyone fucking else. And it was I that bullshit was reacting to. 

Anyone who actually read my posts properly would know this. 

She can obviously identify as whatever she wants, I mean, that goes without saying.  But to my knowledge she has always identified herself as 'biracial', indeed sometimes she has identified herself as caucasian and spoken at length of growing up as biracial in the US.  

Sometimes, when people don't like you or what you say they find reason to be 'offended' and always choose the most negative possible interpretation of other people's words.

Edited by Cas Stark

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

She can obviously identify as whatever she wants, I mean, that goes without saying.  

So why start this ridiculous fucking discussion? Is referring to herself as a woman of colour whilst in Africa not definitive enough for you? FFS. 

I'm outta here. 

Edited by Spockydog

Just now, Spockydog said:

So why start this ridiculous fucking discussion? Is referring to herself as a woman of colour whilst in Africa not definitive enough for you? FFS. 

In the US 'woman of color' encompasses a lot of ethnicities that aren't considered black.  Is it controversial now to not consider Asians and people from Latin America as black?  And for the record, while I am old, one of my parents is non white and I am not male.

33 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Is referring to herself as a woman of colour whilst in Africa not definitive enough for you?

Her going to Africa in a private jet, wearing her designer gear and doing the 'I'm one of you' thing is so on brand for Meghan. That should tell you all need to know about her.

Edited by Heartofice

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

But other than that, Phillips is totally correct in what he’s saying, which I know upsets people like Tywin who want to believe so badly in their fiction. The reality is Britain really isn’t a racist society at all, far from it,

:lmao:

Your society is built on racism and xenophobia. I can say the same about the US. Why does it scare you so much to say the same of the UK? You're the one living in a fictional world. I mean saying "at all" just lets everyone know you just have zero interest in facing reality and want to live in your little bubble, especially when you're comment is followed by one that says MM isn't even really black. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

:lmao:

Your society is built on racism and xenophobia. I can say the same about the US. Why does it scare you so much to say the same of the UK? You're the one living in a fictional world. I mean saying "at all" just lets everyone know you just have zero interest in facing reality and want to live in your little bubble, especially when you're comment is followed by one that says MM isn't even really black. 

Ok.. whatever you say.