Football: The odds are not even

polishgenius

People wrongly judge this Inter being defensive when it's just a team not being much technically and creatively gifted compared to City/some other top teams in Europe. Inzaghi tries to go forward. For what it's worth, that cost him plenty of games and almost his job just two-three months ago. 

Conte was defensive (while played the same formation), it was eye-bleeding at times but it won us the league. Yet embarrassed us in Europe.

Inzaghi is the opposite, bottled the league last year, but won all the domestic cups both years, and reached a CL final in his second year, with a squad much worse than Conte's. 

15 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

The past week I've been watching what I can on youtube for this final's preview (part of the charm of a CL final is the buildup) and since it was an English club vs Inter, Manchester City, normally I've watched what the British pundits had to say. I have to be honest, they were terrible. Maybe you'll laugh but in the Balkans (Serbian, Croatian) the pundits are better, more professional, and have a better football knowledge and analyze the games a level above. 

You're completely right. I have occasion to listen to punditry in German and Polish and both of them are far better than almost anything in England.

It doesn't even have the advantage of being fun. Like, the US get shows like this. In the UK the closest we ever come is Soccer Saturday, and I feel like that's long past its best and now Stelling's gone. And like someone in the comments said, all of these pundits were on UK shows at one point. Still are, some of them, but they're better here. They're allowed to be themselves. 

On 6/11/2023 at 5:06 AM, The Sunland Lord said:

The past week I've been watching what I can on youtube for this final's preview (part of the charm of a CL final is the buildup) and since it was an English club vs Inter, Manchester City, normally I've watched what the British pundits had to say. I have to be honest, they were terrible. Maybe you'll laugh but in the Balkans (Serbian, Croatian) the pundits are better, more professional, and have a better football knowledge and analyze the games a level above.

Man, I'd like to hear what Serbian TV has these good pundits you came across. I've been looking for decades and still haven't found one.

And Frankfurt have announced who will succeed Glasner as headcoach.

Dino Toppmöller. Toppmöller's last gig was assistant at Bayern under Nagelsmann (who is in talks with PSG (which comes as surprise to noone).

Fun fact, Dino's father, Klaus, had the Frankfurt job in the 90s for a season or two. He was also a more succesful footballer than Dino. Anyway, like I said, Toppmöller has been linked to the job for a while. So the announcement was really expected.

Bayern'S Hernandez is still linked with PSG, he apparently wants to leave, Bayern want to extend. Upamecano is another potential departure. Depends on what Tuchel wants. The higher-ups like Upamecano's qualities, but they are also a bit weary of his brainfarts. Ah, they want to announce their next DoF/Sporting Director by Christmas.

Hoeneß doesn't fancy going back into the frontline permanently. So that's a priority for them.

How good are we?

Good enough for our board to walk after not having been at Goodison for half a year ("feeling unsafe"). Good enough to be sued by Carlo Ancelotti. 

We're absolutely good enough to get relegated.

1 hour ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

How good are we?

Good enough for our board to walk after not having been at Goodison for half a year ("feeling unsafe"). Good enough to be sued by Carlo Ancelotti. 

We're absolutely good enough to get relegated.

Your fans got to celebrate two relegation escapes in consecutive years.  There’s something to be said for finishing on a cathartic high note just as the spring sunshine beams down.

On 6/11/2023 at 9:05 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Now that City have won their first CL, watch them win multiple CL's in next few years. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a treble again. 

They have turned PL into a farmer's league of sorts, they will do the same to CL. So depressing. 

Only Pep is responsible for this and that ends as soon as he leaves in 2025. It'll be wide open after that.

13 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Only Pep is responsible for this and that ends as soon as he leaves in 2025. It'll be wide open after that.

If they would let Eddie drop a billion quid it would be more interesting quickly. 

27 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Your fans got to celebrate two relegation escapes in consecutive years.  There’s something to be said for finishing on a cathartic high note just as the spring sunshine beams down.

Not sure I relish the experience, tbh.

38 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Not sure if you meant that as a I joke because I thought the latest news is that he intends to extend his contract at City.

14 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Not sure if you meant that as a I joke because I thought the latest news is that he intends to extend his contract at City.

He signed a contract extension in November. Apparently he plans to leave when that runs out in two years but who knows how accurate that is or whether he'll change his mind over the next two seasons. :dunno:

Edited by ljkeane

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Yeah, if they hire Lampard after that they'll be fighting to remain in the PL.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Yeah, if they hire Lampard after that they'll be fighting to remain in the PL.

When you are not 100% sure whether something was meant as a joke.

Anyway. Yeah, Guardiola has built this team and made the expensive parts click. You justifiably may not like how he got to put this team together, but the end product is a well run Guardiola team.

Unfortunately, they will not pick Lampard to succeed Guardiola in a few years, but somebody who is competent and knows what they are doing. Successor won't (probably) be as good as him, but somebody who can very much work with the foundation that's in place. Since the entire sporting department is competently run, they will also pick a manger, whose football idea is kinda similar. So no Mou at City either. So wide open is overselling it. A bit more competitive, maybe.

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Guardiola is clearly a great manager who has made City work like they do, but if it was only him Liverpool would have at least two more league titles than they do. 

Considering how close they came, you can probably really make that argument. I mean, if you just think Guardiola was worth 2-3 points extra those seasons (compared to a potential successor), than Liverpool have their two extra titles. Pep compared to Lampard, we are probably talking more like 15-20 extra points for Guardiola.

26 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

. I mean, if you just think Guardiola was worth 2-3 points extra those seasons (compared to a potential successor),

I know what you're saying, but my point was actually the opposite. That Pep is great and all but operating on anything resembling a fair playing field (not even level, just a bit closer and without constant cheating) Klopp would have at least three titles.