Football: The summer of selling (out)

polishgenius

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Maybe it seemed to be a lot of effort to you but it was really nothing to me. I was simply clearing up the apparent misconception by Tywin of academy football in England being of a higher level than it actually is. 

Idk. Just for comparison I'd expect one of the top NCAA basketball teams with multiple potential NBA prospects to beat a middling second tier club in Europe. I don't see a big difference here with the added factor that I think young footballers would actually fair better than young basketball players. 

50 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Varies/depending on several factors. age (the older closer you are to the pro contract, the better), club (bigger clubs bigger budgets), and talent (who highly you are rated). But we are talking peanuts for most parts. When you sign your first pro contracts (or rather your parent signs it for you) at age 16/17 then they start to get paid (amount still varies, elite prospect at a big club playing at the u23 (basically third or fourth tier football means pay gets decent, but at that point you've made it to the pro level (this is talking Germany, where the reserves play in the real leagues)).

A 14 y.o. at a smaller club's academy might consider himself lucky to get anything between 250-500 € a month.

You get nothing here besides under the table payments until you make it to college, and even then most people don't get paid at all except with scholarships (which most college athletes don't receive) that can be taken away at any second (with the under the table stuff going on for some). NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) is brand new and still leads to most athletes getting nothing. It's basically benefiting top end men's football and basketball players and then not surprisingly really hot women. 500 a month is pretty crazy compared to things in the US. At my school we were lucky to get free meals and access to a gym. And the meals weren't that great tbh. Young athletes in the European academies do have it better from your description unless you're the rare potential superstar here (a buddy of mine got a house paid for by a school to transfer, but that's a one in a million kind of thing). 

57 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I think it was this one.

Haven't seen that one, but trust me, there are a lot. Basically everyone hates them at this point. I went to a D1, power 5 university and being on the student government I got a really good up close look at just how awful the system is.

Meanwhile Bayern's goalkeeper situation seems to slowly sort itself out.

Schenk is on his way to Münster on a loan deal.

Nübel to Stuttgart seems to take shape, the shape of a loan deal that is. Sorta weird, but ok.

Leaves Sommer to Inter (if Neuer returns in time), Neuer (when he is back) and Ulreich. With the potential of a new guy arriving (would help facilate the Sommer to Inter deal). So that they'd have Neuer, Ulreich + x for the new season.

Situation still doesn't make that much sense to me.

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk. Just for comparison I'd expect one of the top NCAA basketball teams with multiple potential NBA prospects to beat a middling second tier club in Europe. I don't see a big difference here with the added factor that I think young footballers would actually fair better than young basketball players.

I don't know anything about NCAA so can't comment.

My estimate of the standard of football at academy level is not a wild guess. There's this cup competition called the EFL Trophy where the 48 teams from League One and League Two participate + 16 category 1 academies are invited to play in. The academies aren't exactly blowing away their 3rd and 4th division opponents in the competition. On the contrary, only a handful of the academy sides even manage to get out of the group stage each season and none have ever reached a final. If I'm not mistaken, the best result achieved by an academy side was Chelsea U21 5 or 6 years ago when they lost in the semifinal. Man City's academy have been steam rolling the youth league over the past three seasons yet they didn't even get out of the group stage last season.

Edited by Consigliere

Somehow there's a rumor about us loaning DCL to Roma.

I want to know how on God's green earth that can be possible, or if it's not a real rumor, who thought that was believable.

We currently have one (1) other striker. Neal Maupay. Who fits our team like Trump fitted the presidency. Sure, DCL has fitness issues, we *do* need another striker. But how the solution should be to leave Maupay our only recognized striker ... 

Makes. No. Sense. What. So. Ever.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Al-Hilal are gonna have a midfield of Verratti, Neves and Milinkovic-Savic. Not too shabby.

For an annual salary that would pay for the whole of the Man City team I'd imagine. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

First rule of sports, never piss off the other team's star. 

Horan's goal was definitely improved by all the preceding shit talking.

Edited by Corvinus85

26 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Horan's goal was definitely improved by all the preceding shit talking.

Nice to see them having fun at the end of the match with each other. 

US was clearly the better side, but their finishing has been awful. Nothing you can do about the goal on them, but they should have scored several times. That has to be cleaned up. The gap has been closed between the US and several other teams. Spain scares me the most. 

ETA: I'm confused though. On the broadcast they said neither team is through. Aren't they both locks now and it just depends on who has the better outcome in their next matches?

Edited by Tywin et al.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

ETA: I'm confused though. On the broadcast they said neither team is through. Aren't they both locks now and it just depends on who has the better outcome in their next matches?

Mathematically speaking that's correct, since the Portugal-Vietnam game hasn't happened. If that ends in a draw, then both Portugal and Vietnam would have a mathematical chance of advancing by winning their final matches with good scores. Realistically, at least one between the US and the Dutch is pretty much in.

11 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Mathematically speaking that's correct, since the Portugal-Vietnam game hasn't happened. If that ends in a draw, then both Portugal and Vietnam would have a mathematical chance of advancing by winning their final matches with good scores. Realistically, at least one between the US and the Dutch is pretty much in.

I misread the table. I thought everyone had played two matches. We'll see what happens in a few hours. Time for a nap. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

I was happy with his performance. A proactive keeper prepared to play as a sweeper is what we've been missing. Just have to accept that he might misjudge from time-to-time but I still believe a sweeper-keeper with good distribution will provide more positive than negative in the long run.

Far more concerning is United's finishing. We competed well with Real, created good chances and should have had two goals. A draw would've been a fair reflection of the game. We struggled badly in front of goal last season and there's been zero improvement on that front. We aren't going to get lucky again and finish in the top 4 by scoring a measly 50 odd goals from 38 games.

Every preseason tackle I see from Lisandro Martinez makes me crazy. All he wants to do is hurt someone.

Arsenal looked better. Rice missing out due to injury is very Arsenal.

Edited by Mexal