Star Trek: I miss Hemmer (spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

29 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Chakotay and Janeway were totally boning on that that plane where they were both stuck for months, but they decided not to continue on the ship, feeling it would be bad for morale.

Yeah, but that is just the one instance where their chemistry is very explicit. There are lots of other episodes where it is made crystal clear that they are closest, emotionally, deeply loyal to each other, etc.

The 'bad for morale' excuse was a cop-out that made literally no sense in light of the fact where they were and how their personal happiness (and possibly even 'the continuation of the journey home' would depend on them producing a second generation of Voyager crewmen). It also flew in the writers' face when they decided to have Tom and B'ellana hook up.

The one great thing Prodigy did so far - among many other great things - is effectively confirming that Janeway and Chakotay got together after all.

29 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The Doctor/Seven was a fan-favourite pairing (and they end up together in the Millennium novel trilogy) but never the main idea from the writers, despite them having far more in common and more chemistry than Seven/Chakotay (urgh).

If it wasn't something they thought about it they really had an odd way of showing that - like with Janeway/Chakotay Seven and the Doctor are very close 'emotionally' (if that is the right word there), have similar issues in common, share a lot of interests, etc.

I watched the animated series for the first time. Some of the episodes are bad but not too different from bad TOS eps. Others worked really well for me though.

Now catching up on season 2 of Strange New Worlds. I gave up on Discovery early but this works for me. 

I'm thinking about watching season 3 of Picard next. I stopped watching early in season 2 and I have no urge to finish that season to be honest.

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

18 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

LD season 4 drops September 7. Believe its a 2-fer, so thats fun. I'd enjoy as much as Star Trek as we can, as who knows when some of these shows will return.

I got a message from Paramount + of a new LD Episode yesterday afternoon.  Given what they did with “Those Old Scientists” on SNW I got excited.  Obviously it was a false alarm…

That first episode was absolutely magnificent. Every time you thought they'd escalated enough, they found a new place to go. It's striking enough that at the end even the captain has to say that was a very bizarre day even by their standards.

Spoiler

Why in the name of fuck would Janeway agree to have robot replicas of her and Tom Paris post-Warp 10 mode on the ship? The total lunatic nonsense of it was amazing. And "Tuvixing" the guy and the whale was outstanding ("Not my best work").

It so easy to rip the piss out of Voyager because so many episodes are fundamentally shit, but they really went beyond the call of duty. Referencing the racist Irish episodes and their nonsense!

Episode 2 could never compete with that and just ended up being okay.

Edited by Werthead

58 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That first episode was absolutely magnificent. Every time you thought they'd escalated enough, they found a new place to go. It's striking enough that at the end even the captain has to say that was a very bizarre day even by their standards.

Hide contents

Why in the name of fuck would Janeway agree to have robot replicas of her and Tom Paris post-Warp 10 mode on the ship? The total lunatic nonsense of it was amazing. And "Tuvixing" the guy and the whale was outstanding ("Not my best work").

It so easy to rip the piss out of Voyager because so many episodes are fundamentally shit, but they really went beyond the call of duty. Referencing the racist Irish episodes and their nonsense!

Episode 2 could never compete with that and just ended up being okay.

Spoiler

The second episode seems to be an extended Seinfeld riff… the Kenny Roger’s Roster light from the nacalle.  The repeating of “Livick” like Jerry saying “Newman”.  

I noticed the Whale song probe is now among the ships fighting the Borg Cube in the opening.  And I’m wondering if the probe randomly attacking ships is an iteration of that Whaleship probe.

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

The second episode seems to be an extended Seinfeld riff… the Kenny Roger’s Roster light from the nacalle.  The repeating of “Livick” like Jerry saying “Newman”.  

I noticed the Whale song probe is now among the ships fighting the Borg Cube in the opening.  And I’m wondering if the probe randomly attacking ships is an iteration of that Whaleship probe.

Oh that's a very deep cut.

Spoiler

In the TOS movie-era novel Probe, a direct sequel to Star Trek IV, the whale probe recounts (via mindmeld with Spock, IIRC) that it was damaged in battle with several Borg cubes and forced to destroy them, which is one of the reasons it's unhappy with finding Earth infested with similar bipedal creatures and its whale friends extinct.

First episode was stellar. Just an absolute piss take if the entire Voyager show...yet was also done kinda lovingly too.  Just brilliant. Though it may have needed a Doctor cameo or something...

Episode two...just as enjoyable, if not quite as strong...but still showing the show's strength...who doesn't want one of Boimler's Mirror Universe Archer figures...? Loved the episode title though, riffing on, "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

I too found the first episode amazing and the second good. Its kind of great how much they are able to pack in 30 minutes, while also allowing for quiet moments where our fantastic four can sort of hang out together (you know, like the classic Trek shows that always have some of the senior staff just do buddy stuff together).

Lower Decks is just a strange show. This series basically started out as a parody of Star Trek and visually looks like Rick and Morty, yet strangely enough has so much dam heart and soul, I can't help, but love it. I like how the characters seem to be finally growing and adding T'Lyn to the cast is only icing on the cake. The fact that this series has created a Vulcan character that I actually like, is a miracle in itself.