Star Trek: I miss Hemmer (spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

I really do.  He was a facinating character.  So… interesting that they didn’t have La’an and J. Kirk interact more.  

A strong episode… but… I can’t wait for next week.  Will the Lower Decks season 4 trailer finally drop after the crossover episode?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

I greatly enjoyed the episode, too. While I wish there had been more interaction between La'an and Jim, it's also fine they're taking it slow for that plot. A lot of great character interaction nonetheless.

And the Kirk in the main timeline seems more like the asshole we know. The Kirk from the “Earth Ruined Timeline” seems more… touchy feely to me.

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And the Kirk in the main timeline seems more like the asshole we know. The Kirk from the “Earth Ruined Timeline” seems more… touchy feely to me.

Probably by design. 

I didn't exactly get "asshole" vibes from him...but the character we see on screen in this episode felt more in line with what Shatner did with the character, yet had something else to it too...

20 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Probably by design. 

I didn't exactly get "asshole" vibes from him...but the character we see on screen in this episode felt more in line with what Shatner did with the character, yet had something else to it too...

Do you think we will get a moment where La’an defends James to Sam telling him his brother was willing to give up his whole life so that his Brother would have a chance at life?

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Do you think we will get a moment where La’an defends James to Sam telling him his brother was willing to give up his whole life so that his Brother would have a chance at life?

No. I don't believe so. 

Only...and only if...at some point where Sam Kirk leaves Starfleet to live his life on the planet where he's meant to die...which would be ironic if La'an makes that statement to Sam in that manner.

Honestly, Sam Kirk's character feels like it's meant to be there for the comedic relief at times.

55 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

No. I don't believe so. 

Only...and only if...at some point where Sam Kirk leaves Starfleet to live his life on the planet where he's meant to die...which would be ironic if La'an makes that statement to Sam in that manner.

Honestly, Sam Kirk's character feels like it's meant to be there for the comedic relief at times.

Does TOS tell us who Sam’s wife is?

33 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Pretty sure no. I don't know if it's all that important beyond Sam seemed happily married...at least until the whole killer alien stuff...

Enjoyable episode, though it felt a little odd to have them seem baffled by invisible lifeforms in a nebula when "The Elysian KIngdom" was exactly about their run-in with an invisible lifeform in a nebula...

Really liked Sam and James and how they interacted, and thought it particularly fanservice-y to have Kirk remark on Spock's dangerous 3D Chess position.

Clip for the next episode, for those who haven't seen it:

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I really do.  He was a facinating character. 

The actor was said to return to the show, but it was vague in what form/what character.  This episode might have been all it was suppose to be, but perhaps they've brought him back in a different role like they did on Discovery with Sara Mitich switching roles from Airiam to Nillson.

Apparently he does a stage play in Calgary called Goblin:MacBeth.

When three Goblins come across a copy of the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, they’re intrigued by a writer who clearly knows his witches, faeries, goblins and monsters. They decide to co-opt a theatre space and cajole an audience into participating in their first attempt at “doing theatre”. They choose Macbeth because it’s short…and has lots of blood! Get set for a unique theatre experience with this joyfully interactive production.

Edited by SpaceChampion

I thought the episode was fine, but there was no [insert technobabble] to actually figure out how to communicate with the aliens, or even visualize them. So now we have a pretty important refinery destroyed with no evidence as to why (for those who cant communicate with them, with the exception of...Uhura). For a show that purportedly deals with science thats a bit hard to take. They could have thrown in a few minutes of 'remodulate the deflector beam and reverse the polarity of the tachyon field' gibberish to at least try to seek out the new life.

If you want to consider this episode entirely on how it handled the different relationships, then yes, it did very well. But that makes it more like a drama with the thinnest veneer of sci-fi.

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I thought the episode was fine, but there was no [insert technobabble] to actually figure out how to communicate with the aliens, or even visualize them. So now we have a pretty important refinery destroyed with no evidence as to why (for those who cant communicate with them, with the exception of...Uhura). For a show that purportedly deals with science thats a bit hard to take. They could have thrown in a few minutes of 'remodulate the deflector beam and reverse the polarity of the tachyon field' gibberish to at least try to seek out the new life.

If you want to consider this episode entirely on how it handled the different relationships, then yes, it did very well. But that makes it more like a drama with the thinnest veneer of sci-fi.

I have a sneaking suspicion Pike will be in deep shit over his actions based upon what we saw early in the season.

But you are right… they handwaved hard to not explain why only Uhura and Ramon “heard” the aliens.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But you are right… they handwaved hard to not explain why only Uhura and Ramon “heard” the aliens.

I feel like the missing bit was their examining Ramon's medical records. I suspect he, like Uhura, had been suffering from extended insomnia which messed with cortisol and serontin levels (per M'Benga).

It’s having a great run, this show. They’re really threading the needle with classic Trek plots, but good character exploration on the way. One complaint here is that it was SUCH a classic Trek setup, that the first thing I thought was ‘is this aliens trying to communicate’ and it took a long time to actually get there. Then once they did, they seemed to sacrifice the technobabble for a moment of trust between Pike and Uhura, which is fair enough. But really all she was going on was the ‘burnt out receiver’ having a nice ring to it, and her contorting these visions into some meaning. She really wasn’t “certain” at all. I would rather have seen Kirk and Uhura puzzle out from what they knew, that organic substance X would be present if they were correct, quick scan, cool, blow up the station. 

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but did anyone think the conversation between Kirk and his brother went out of its way to establish this was the Prime timeline? “Our father WHO IS TOTALLY ALIVE STILL…”

On 7/20/2023 at 8:12 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes, Aurelan Kirk, and their son Peter. All three turn up in the TOS episode Operation: Annihilate! George "Sam" Kirk is already dead and Aurelan dies on the Enterprise. Peter survives and is quite literally never seen (or I think mentioned) again. Aurelan and Sam had two other children, but the episode is very unclear on if they were killed or even on the planet at the time of that episode's shenanigans.

7 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but did anyone think the conversation between Kirk and his brother went out of its way to establish this was the Prime timeline? “Our father WHO IS TOTALLY ALIVE STILL…”

Huh. I assumed they were talking about what their dead father would have thought of them...

The really good tidbit about that episode's background stuff was that it established how it was that Kirk got to Tarsus IV where he met Kodos. Him and Sam having that bad a relationship is not something I think is great since it feels a bit immature and cheap.

In context we can expect Sam to run away from Enterprise at the latest when it is known that Jim is going to be Pike's successor as captain, but perhaps even earlier. Although it might be nice if SNW were to introduce us to Sam's wife and see them marry on the Enterprise.

Events like that could even bring old man Kirk as a guest star, and perhaps even Jennifer Morrison (from the silly JJ movie) to return as Kirk's mother.