Star Trek: I miss Hemmer (spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

Yeah, the connection between Lower Decks and Lower Decks kinda came out of nowhere, but was well-done. It also makes me hope they pull the strings on the idea that Sito survived the events of Lower Decks (she was supposed to come back in DS9, and I believe they even briefly considered a Cardassian prison break episode with her, Tom Riker and maybe a few other bit-part characters, but didn't get around to it).

The season-long archvillain being fucking 

Spoiler

Nick Locarno?!?

made me laugh way harder than it should have done. Well-played, LD, well-played.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Hide contents

Nick Locarno?!?

made me laugh way harder than it should have done. Well-played, LD, well-played.

I have zero idea what the actual plan could be and if it'll make sense...but it might tie nicely into the idea you suggest about the abandoned Sito idea...

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, the connection between Lower Decks and Lower Decks kinda came out of nowhere, but was well-done. It also makes me hope they pull the strings on the idea that Sito survived the events of Lower Decks (she was supposed to come back in DS9, and I believe they even briefly considered a Cardassian prison break episode with her, Tom Riker and maybe a few other bit-part characters, but didn't get around to it).

Reveal hidden contents

Nick Locarno?!?

One thing I didn’t realise until reading up on Lower Decks the episode is that

Spoiler

It’s not Sito’s first appearance - she’s also part of Locarno and Wesley’s squad in The First Duty

22 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Not just an obscure character, but getting the proper actor to voice him...where they go with it, that'll be fun.

We're we already aware of some of that Mariner back story? Or was that all kind of sudden? I can't remember. The episode as a whole had some seemingly convenient convergences, but at the same time, pulling threads from all kinds of Trek history/Canon. I liked it a lot.

I think we already knew that she’d been in the Dominion War but no details.

Next season… Tendi focused.  That’s awesome because I love Tendi!  It’s nice that they have finally been able to resolve Mariner’s need to be ridiculously rebellious without removing all of her rebelliousness.  It was also nice to see where she got her penchant for kicking the authorities in the balls.  

Good Finale.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Could have been called The Wrath of Locarno.

Hide contents

Loved there was a paywall on the GD.  And loved we got to see the others of Nova Squadron in flashback.

Spoiler

I thought it was well done showing Mainer might have been a little one side in the friendship with Sito...that it was maybe a little more hero worship...

Also, what was the name of, and the class, of the ship Mariner commandeered...?

Edited by Jaxom 1974

On 11/3/2023 at 2:31 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I thought it was well done showing Mainer might have been a little one side in the friendship with Sito...that it was maybe a little more hero worship...

Also, what was the name of, and the class, of the ship Mariner commandeered...?

That was the USS Passaro, NCC-52670, named for Fabio Passaro, who was senior designer at Eaglemoss working on their line of model Star Trek ships. He passed away recently.

The class is interesting. It's a Steamrunner-class variant, but smaller in size, around the size of the Sabre-class. The Lower Decks informally call it a "Sabrerunner."

On 11/5/2023 at 10:28 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I have a question.  My 16 year old son says Trek is bypassing his generation. That no one his age is watching Trek. 

Is he correct?  Is Trek aging out?  Is it limited to Boomers, Xers, and Millenials?

Trek is trapped on Streaming Services only people already interested in Trek may go for, though with quite a few people (myself included) already too burned out that I don't even bother with pirating. So I see it utterly plausible that kids won't be interested in it.

Well, though admittedly, here in Germany a channel named Tele5 aggressively pushes for Star Trek Reruns on Free TV, so I'm thinking we are relatively good here... except most kids I interact with barely watch TV anymore either, so eh...

• 1 month later...

Okay... the last time I posted about this in a Star Trek thread, the thread just died, so I'm not sure whether there is all that much interest on here, but... over the last few years I started a collection that may have gotten a little overboard and with my latest additions from Christmas and Black Friday Sales, I guess I want to show off a little:

https://i.imgur.com/dL2Bs8D.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ljEhtpg.jpg

I don't know how it's overseas, but I guess thanks to Corona here "Lego" style brickbuilds (but don't call them that, Lego's lawyers don't like that) have gotten a slight revitalization and because Lego itself has gotten absurdly expansive, people are branching out to other brands that make use of Lego's lack of a copyright on their standard forms.

And one German company called Bluebrixx has gotten the official license to make Star Trek models and they have been churning out quite a number of them: https://www.bluebrixx.com/en/sets/star_trek

I must admit, I have become a sucker for the minifigure scaled Shuttles as they... kind of give off the Lego Star Wars playset vibe, except that they are far more detailed with wholly printed out LCARS interiors and smoothed out floors. The Type 6 Shuttle and the Deltaflyer are amazing and quite sturdy to boot. The only exception I stumbled across so far is the Runabout, which is a damn shame since it's also the most expensive model I've built. It's fully kitted out interior with cockpit, conference room, sleeping cots and even a bathroom gives off Star Trek camper van vibes and would be fantastic, but unfortunately Bluebrixx' hinge pieces are both too stiff and don't have enough power to even vaguely keep the engine casings above the nacelles in place, making it fall apart whenever you look at them too sternly. A damn shame. The Bird of Prey actually has a similar issue with two casing pieces of the engine falling off if you touch them. But it's far less of an issue there and I'm stunned how sturdy the wings are (I bought it because I built a Bird of Prey as a kid with Lego and the wings falling off all the damn time was always an issue). The Enterprise D was quite overpriced, but I got it when the discount for the first wave models came in. It's still good as a model and throning atop my desk makes the shape come off quite well, but naturally you have to be careful moving it around with both hands because off its stand, the saucer section is too heavy for the neck. The medium sized Defiant I also found fantastic. It has the perfect shape and is also extremely sturdy. Bluebrixx has most models in three sizes and the big sized Defiant for my liking was far too expensive and big.

From what I've seen in the reviews, people are also praising the large sized Voyager for being absolutely perfect. With landing gears, removable captain's yacht, a shuttle bay with a tiny shuttle and movable nacelles, it has everything you could wish for. There is also lots of praise for how cool the large NX-01 looks in silver bricks. Personally I have obviously long run out of space, but still am considering getting the mid-sized TOS Enterprise and maybe another shuttle or two (the NX-01 Shuttlepod and the TOS Galileo shuttle when it becomes available again).

Bluebrixx also recently has acquired the rights to do Stargate sets, so I'm curious where that is going.

Edited by Toth

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Very cool Bird of Prey!

Indeed! And... seriously, I don't want to know how much Lego would charge for such a monster. It has 1500 pieces and I paid 80€ for it in a sale. The wings can be adjusted with cogwheels and if you don't want to use the (admittedly a bit drab) stand, it also comes with landing gears.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I see they have the Excelsior, the best-looking ship of the line ever designed for Star Trek. I approve.

I'm actually a bit torn on that one. The deflector is so integral to the ship and damn hard to get across with brick builds. The latest medium size models are all pretty good, particularly the TOS Enterprise and Enterprise-A, and I have seen reviewers praising that Excelsior, but the pictures somehow never make it look like they actually got the deflector right: https://i.imgur.com/AOLBujV.png

The whole ship looks a bit rough, I think: https://i.imgur.com/I2laZPL.png

I wonder whether we will get a large size Excelsior at some point where that is less of an issue.

The details just look sad in comparison with, for example, my Defiant:

https://i.imgur.com/7xiKkCP.jpg

Or aforementioned TOS Enterprise I'm eyeing:

https://www.bluebrixx.com/img/items/105/105438/600/105438_1.jpg

Edited by Toth