MCU - This Thread Wasn’t Made For You

DaveSumm

5 hours ago, JGP said:

Refresh me, your prognostication was that it’d be a box office failure, y/n?

I dunno. I haven't received the reminder yet. So exciting. 

As I recall, I specifically never used the "B" word; only that this film would significantly underperform compared to the first Captain Marvel film.

I may have been too optimistic. 

On the mid credit spoiler (that I decided to google, because.. why not)

Spoiler

So the predictions were right and it was Kelsey Grammer as Beast, which sets up the X-Men but also the Secret Wars plotline. All this talk of 'incursions' from other dimensions was actually telegraphed in other movies so shouldn''t be much of a surprise. 

My general reaction is just disappointment however, it feels like what could have been an exciting development, something the MCU has been building up to, have been completely squandered. Phase 4 has really dropped the ball when it comes to plotting out the Multiverse stuff, mostly amounting to a bunch of non connected movies where they remember at the last minute it's supposed to have some sort of common thread. To be fair even previous phases worked like that, but there was a semblance of something holding them together.

Secret War should have been a huge event, something everyone was looking forward to, a chance for all the characters to be shoved together and play off each other. I have no idea what characters they would even lead with in such a movie. None of the phase 4 introduced characters could really hold such a big movie up. Potentially they just bring in the Fantastic 4 and the X-Men and all the phase 4 non-entities are pushed the side.

Secret Wars can be the event that wipes the slate clean and erases all the mistakes of the previous phases, but it's only going to work if it's actually a good movie. Marvel will need to fix itself up for that to happen however.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

So the predictions were right and it was Kelsey Grammer as Beast, which sets up the X-Men but also the Secret Wars plotline. All this talk of 'incursions' from other dimensions was actually telegraphed in other movies so shouldn''t be much of a surprise. 

Spoiler

I can confirm the X-Men connection. We came back from the cinema about 20 minutes ago. 

Spoiler tag above to address what @Heartofice Googled.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I do want to watch The Marvels now, out of some morbid desire to see just how much of a clusterfuck it is. Guess I’ll have to wait a couple of weeks till it’s dumped on Disney+

We came back from it about 20 minutes ago and had a delightful time. The audience clapped at the end, and the kids around us walking out of the theater discussed how much they enjoyed it. 

It's Very Comic Book-y. Down to entire parts of the screen replicating comic book panels. Fans of Aha's Take On Me music video will find much to enjoy in the movie as well. 

It's a very tight, comedic, and fat-free movie. 

Also, if you're an Andrew Lloyd Weber fan, you will *howl* with laughter. It will leave you with some new...memories.

8 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

We came back from it about 20 minutes ago and had a delightful time. The audience clapped at the end, and the kids around us walking out of the theater discussed how much they enjoyed it. 

It's Very Comic Book-y. Down to entire parts of the screen replicating comic book panels. Fans of Aha's Take On Me music video will find much to enjoy in the movie as well. 

It's a very tight, comedic, and fat-free movie. 

Also, if you're an Andrew Lloyd Weber fan, you will *howl* with laughter. It will leave you with some new...memories.

Well I'm glad you liked it.. 

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well I'm glad you liked it.. 

I also just realised I wrote Weber and not Webber. 

I'm not a musical fan, so my wife had to explain what I was hearing on screen. I was already laughing and then when I understood the gag, I just laughed some more.

This is a deeply, deeply silly movie.

It's also very disposable, and to fully appreciate requires audiences to have seen WandaVision, Ms. Marvel, Secret Invasion, and Hawkeye, among others, which is not a sustainable narrative approach to these movies. They have to be able to stand on their own and not require viewing other things that might not even be interesting to viewers to fully appreciate and understand the story. 

It won't work for everyone, nor should any movie, really. But after sitting through a gigantic thunderstorm and keeping our dogs calm throughout that, during what's been a wildly stressful week, it was a welcome distraction from life.

27 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I also just realised I wrote Weber and not Webber. 

I'm not a musical fan, so my wife had to explain what I was hearing on screen. I was already laughing and then when I understood the gag, I just laughed some more.

This is a deeply, deeply silly movie.

It's also very disposable, and to fully appreciate requires audiences to have seen WandaVision, Ms. Marvel, Secret Invasion, and Hawkeye, among others, which is not a sustainable narrative approach to these movies. They have to be able to stand on their own and not require viewing other things that might not even be interesting to viewers to fully appreciate and understand the story. 

It won't work for everyone, nor should any movie, really. But after sitting through a gigantic thunderstorm and keeping our dogs calm throughout that, during what's been a wildly stressful week, it was a welcome distraction from life.

Have you seen any of the complaints made in the above videos? Did you notice them?

35 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Have you seen any of the complaints made in the above videos? Did you notice them?

Not something my particular brand of neurospicyness and ADHD enjoys. Give me text and I'm good. Give me a video that takes longer to watch than what I could read and I'll get tetchy and distracted and annoyed. 

So not to dismiss whatever valid points they might have, but it's not a medium I enjoy. 

Edited by IlyaP
Typo Hell

6 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Not something my particular brand of neurospicyness and ADHD enjoys. Give me text and I'm good. Give me a video that takes longer to watch than what I could read and I'll get tetchy and distracted and annoyed

That might explain why a movie that apparently seems to be just randomly assembled might appeal then! :D

33 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

That might explain why a movie that apparently seems to be just randomly assembled might appeal then! :D

*Shrug* It worked for us and did what we needed it to do after what's been a truly shitty week on our end. It spoke to our style of humor and let us have some quality time together that we desperately needed. And we got to see it in a classic old school cinema with only one screen and no ads - just two trailers for the Waititi soccer movie and Wonka, and in comfy seats. 

11 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Yeah I wasn't sure what the thing with Renslayer was meant to indicate. Only thing I could thing of with purple lighting and pyramids is Apocalypse from X-Men? But that's just a very vague maybe wrong memory from the 90s cartoon.

I just assumed she is in the Void. That is where pruned stuff goes. Have people forgotten that?

The light is this again I suspect. https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Alioth

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I just assumed she is in the Void. That is where pruned stuff goes. Have people forgotten that?

The light is this again I suspect. https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Alioth

Not gonna lie... I had completely forgotten him until you shared that link.  :lol:

I did wonder if that's where she was, but the pyramid threw me and then I promptly forgot about it lol. If that was there last season then I'd forgotten, and yes I definitely forgot Alioth as well