US Politics: Hell Yes THEY Were Trying to Overthrow the Government

Zorral

To quote Negan, "It's gonna be pee-pee pants city here real soon. Looks like it has finally sunk in to Meadows that he might finally experience the same horrific conditions for prisoners that he advocates for. And he is in no way prepared for this.

Mark Meadows seeks to move Georgia prosecution to federal court
Trump himself is expected to follow suit with a motion to transfer the case out of Georgia state court.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/15/meadows-georgia-case-federal-court-00111382

Mark Meadows, who was Donald Trump’s chief of staff during the 2020 election and the ensuing efforts to overturn its results, is trying to transfer his Georgia state prosecution to federal court with the goal of having the charges against him dismissed.

In court papers filed Tuesday, lawyers for Meadows argued that the case against him should be moved out of Georgia state court so that Meadows can argue in federal court that he is immune from the prosecution under the U.S. Constitution. The charges against him, his lawyers said, amount to “state interference in a federal official’s duties” in violation of the Constitution’s supremacy clause. Meadows intends to file a separate request for “prompt dismissal” of the charges, his lawyers added.

An interesting take from Clark Nelly at CATO as to why a conviction against Trump in one of the four cases is virtually inevitable:

https://www.cato.org/blog/third-times-charm#

One last point. These three dynamics are not isolated and discrete; instead, they’re dynamic and mutually reinforcing. Being an inveterate liar is a major liability in litigation. So is being openly disdainful of the entire process. And so is complexity. But put all three of those together at the same time for the same defendant, and his goose is cooked. So you can put a fork in Donald Trump—he’s done.

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They’ve been awfully quiet lately. Though I am starting to hear some buzz in the mainstream press about that fat wad of cash Jared Kushner got from the Saudis. 

Like I said before, it's weird Republicans want to go after Hunter Biden so much because they're going to create a landscape that's a massive own goal. What he likely did isn't great, but contrasting it against everything all the Trumps have done is an easy thing to do. Pointing out the hypocrisy won't move the MAGA Republican base, but it will be effective with suburban moderates. 

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I assume the major issue with the state prosecution is the fact a president can’t pardon convictions…

And a more friendly/ white jury pool in federal court? (Once it's federal, you demand to move it to West Virginia bc DC is so prejudiced and 'WV is far more diverse.)

ETA: Sounds like Meadows will probably get out of this:

Edited by Mindwalker

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Like I said before, it's weird Republicans want to go after Hunter Biden so much because they're going to create a landscape that's a massive own goal. What he likely did isn't great, but contrasting it against everything all the Trumps have done is an easy thing to do. Pointing out the hypocrisy won't move the MAGA Republican base, but it will be effective with suburban moderates. 

What contrast? Hunter Biden is a Biden and trump isn't. This is like saying that Yankee fans are going to be upset when they slam red Sox players.

Also somewhat related - simply making the argument that all sides do it and Trump isn't unique (or even better is a poor victim) also helps tremendously in moving the allowed window of behavior.

8 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

What contrast? Hunter Biden is a Biden and trump isn't. This is like saying that Yankee fans are going to be upset when they slam red Sox players.

Also somewhat related - simply making the argument that all sides do it and Trump isn't unique (or even better is a poor victim) also helps tremendously in moving the allowed window of behavior.

Arguing that everyone cheats really helped the Astros public perception, right?

Again, going after HB only plays with the base. The squishy people in the middle will be paying more attention to everything Trump is facing and hammering home Javanka's corruption helps cement that image further. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Arguing that everyone cheats really helped the Astros public perception, right?

Yeah, I definitely think the Astros aren't going to win the presidential election

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Again, going after HB only plays with the base. The squishy people in the middle will be paying more attention to everything Trump is facing and hammering home Javanka's corruption helps cement that image further. 

Yes. It's almost as if they have a strategy of not caring about voting being fair and not allowing non-base voters to vote.

14 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Yeah, I definitely think the Astros aren't going to win the presidential election

Hot take city!

Yes. It's almost as if they have a strategy of not caring about voting being fair and not allowing non-base voters to vote.

And they also expect Democrats to be cowards. Sadly they typically are. 

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I assume the major issue with the state prosecution is the fact a president can’t pardon convictions…

There is the condition that the federal court in that state is in northern Georgia, a much more 'conservative' i.e. secession section of the state, so inherently a more friendly to Them jury pool,  than Fuller County in the southern section, where the state court is, which presumably, has a less friendly jury pool.  This weighs at least as much as potential pardon IF jerkwaddie isn't convicted and / or in prison.

As for #1 gangster defendent organizing another coup attempt from prison or jail, there are laws as to how much contact with the outside a prisoner has in prison, how much non-surveilled contact, which makes organizing a coup with more criminal racketeering lawyers a lot more difficult.

Edited by Zorral

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

han Fuller County in the southern section, where the state court is, which presumably, has a less friendly jury pool.  This weighs at least as much as potential pardon IF jerkwaddie isn't convicted and / or in prison.

You mean Fulton County I assume?

OMG, I totally need a TFG video of his arraignment, mugshot etc to the music of Fulton Prison Blues! (Why yes, I'm simple folk. I know it's not Fulton in the song but...)

As for Meadows, moving his case to federal court might also rid him of the indictments entirely, as explained in the video above. (I'm already fuzzy on the details.)

Edited by Mindwalker

23 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Fulton Prison Blues!

Folsom Prison Blues. (I assume you thought of Johnny Cash).

Ironically California (location of the Folsom State Prison) is one of the states where he is not under indictment (for now).

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

12 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Folsom Prison Blues. (I assume you thought of Johnny Cash).

Ironically California (location of the Folsom State Prison) is one of the states where he is not under indictment (for now).

I specifically wrote I know it's not Fulton in the song. Idc.

12 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

To quote Negan, "It's gonna be pee-pee pants city here real soon. Looks like it has finally sunk in to Meadows that he might finally experience the same horrific conditions for prisoners that he advocates for. And he is in no way prepared for this.

Mark Meadows seeks to move Georgia prosecution to federal court
Trump himself is expected to follow suit with a motion to transfer the case out of Georgia state court.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/15/meadows-georgia-case-federal-court-00111382

lol

That's a Fail Mary.

21 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

California does have a federal prison or two, and I’m sure Governor Newsom would be happy to welcome him to our state, even if the accommodations are federal.