Football: So it begins

Raja

1. We need to stop being shit at closing out games. Had total control and let Forest back in, and we did that too many times last season too especially at the emirates, but also away from home, like against West Ham.

It's a confidence thing, but also I think a manager thing because Arteta refuses to change things at all and then you get Elanga running against a tired Saka & Rice. I think he needs to get better at managing a squad but we should be conceding from a corner like that.

2. Martinelli showing why he starts with that performance. Not only setting up the goal but running past people as well as tackles & interceptions. He's excellent.

3. I think tactically it made sense why we had Partey at RB/ CM - we need to get used to breaking down teams that sit back to the extent Forest did, and in the first half it worked. 2-3 occasions where ben white, our CB made excellent runs and passes  down the right

4. Lots of new players & roles, so things will take time to gel properly.

Edited by Raja

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

London is a shit night out. Places that I've been that are better. Newcastle obviously and by miles, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham, Leeds. Places that are worse Hull, Middlesbrough, Oxford, Stoke. 

Only if you keep off the moors. 

So ... very good first half, if we disregard Maupay missing two 100% chances, and Doucoure missing one.

Also, wonder about that disallowed goal from Atwell. Seemed a clear case of "well, keeper was involved, so had to be a free kick"-itis.

Aaaand Dyche's desicion turned out, to nobody's great surprise, to be stupidly wrong.

Fulham plundered a goal, and Maupay continued to be as dangerous as Tony Hibbert. I did say before the match that the only reason to play Maupay is if he's the only chance to make up a full strength side, and I stand by that. He isn't a great finisher in the PL, and he fits our team not at all. 

Another great piece of business by Newcastle getting Tonali in for the price they did especially when you consider the prices for Caicedo and Rice. Neither of those are better than Tonali.

This is a really good game for the neutrals thus far.

Edited by Consigliere

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Top five horror comedies in my book. And Jenny Agutter is the definition of cute girl next door.

Man, fuck NBC. Now you have to pay for Peacock premium to watch PL matches. Such bullshit. Every corporation is squeezing us. I'll still pay it, but fuck them all. 

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Another great piece of business by Newcastle getting Tonali in for the price they did especially when you consider the prices for Caicedo and Rice. Neither of those are better than Tonali.

That doesn’t seem to be the universal opinion on Tonali. I haven’t really seen much of him but a number of usually good journalists seem unconvinced. It’ll be an interesting one to see how it goes.

Edited by ljkeane

4 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

That doesn’t seem to be the universal opinion on Tonali. I haven’t really seen much of him but a number of usually good journalists seen unconvinced. It’ll be an interesting one to see how it goes.

Depends on the journalists. Many English journalists tend to be like English pundits: incredibly arrogant about the PL and look down on other leagues. I think most people who have watched a good amount of Serie A would agree that £55m for Tonali was a great deal for Newcastle.

Edited by Consigliere