Football - Never Say Die!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

51 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Bayern 1-1

2-1 Bayern in the end. It was fun while it lasted. But that Gladbach side was totally dismantled by Alonso's Leverkusen the other week. Early in the season and all, but Leverkusen have really been the team to watch in the Bundesliga thus far.

He needs to win a World Cup if he wants to measure up to Zizou (I assume that was the weight of his new number you were refering to). But since England never wins anything...

As for his old number not that many #22 I can remember.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Klopp’s obviously gone right off the concept of defensive midfielders after the Caicedo saga. Missing out two first choice centre backs against a team who’re usually good on the break? Looks like Endo’s going to be important. Nah, fuck that, we’ll just stick Mac Allister in there again.

Fair play, it does appear to be working so far though.

Villa are playing a pretty high line here and are being punished for it. Odd for Emery to be trying that especially away from home and against Liverpool of all teams. Sitting deep and hitting on the counter seemed like the obvious strategy to employ and Villa are a good counter-attacking side anyway.

Does the absence of Coutinho make this much difference for Villa?  I was expecting a more competitive game at Anfield, but Aston Villa have looked a bit limp throughout.

Unai is a fine coach, so this game has been surprising.  Well, not the "Nunez hits the woodwork!" part, but the competitive intensity aspect, or lack thereof.

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Does the absence of Coutinho make this much difference for Villa?

Coutinho is basically irrelevant. I didn't see today's game but by the sounds of it it was pretty much the same as against City- they push up and play high and as a result are vulnerable on the break against the best attacking teams. I thought after the Newcastle game that that's going to happen to them a few  times, but most of the time they'll be fine.

Mount injured for us, which means Eriksen starts in midfield which is worrying. Arsenal meanwhile revert to a proper backline.

Surprised that the biggest game of the weekend - the Jæren Derby - isn't mentioned yet.

But fear not! Bryne FK crushed local upstarts Sandnes Ulf 3 - 0 at home, after goals from Tobias Guddal, Lars Erik Sødal and Sjur Jonassen. This leaves us only a couple of points outside qualification for PL as of now. 

There's about 10 points down to qualification for relegation too, but why focus on that? Heia Bryne!