Underrated Badasses

Floki of the Ironborn

For my part, I'm going with Marq Piper and Kayl Vance.

Not enough attention is given to these two. They have much the same situation as Beric Dondarrion and Thoros of Myr, when you look at it. In the name of protecting their smallfolk, they rode south to King's Landing in order to get Ned's help against the encroaching Lannisters. They then survive a tremendous defeat against the Lannisters, but rather than become demoralised broken men, they rally fifty supporters and proceed to harass and raid Jaime's army for as long as they can. After Robb shows up on the scene, they become among his most prevalent support in the Riverlands. Marq even survives the Red Wedding, which is more than you can say for most of the men who attended those festivities.

Here's hoping that they play a role in liberating the Riverlands in the next book.

Rolland Storm. The man who single-handedly led the rearguard and allowed Stannis and hundreds of his men to escape King’s Landing. The man who also defied his king to save a boy from death, and who stuck around to face the consequences and got a promotion instead. I can only hope that he survives the siege of Dragonstone to restore House Caron to Nightsong.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, SerDuncan said:

...The Tall

Dunk can only be underrated in the opinions of some in the fandom, the same ones who have totally insane & delusional takes on characters… Dunk is one of the absolute best characters in the story, and definitely the best knight even not being a ‘proper’ knight. Or maybe because of that… 

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Dunk can only be underrated in the opinions of some in the fandom, the same ones who have totally insane & delusional takes on characters… Dunk is one of the absolute best characters in the story, and definitely the best knight even not being a ‘proper’ knight. Or maybe because of that… 

Exactly. Like the famed ones before the Andals set foot on the continent. or Luke Skywalker. Or Mugabe and Ceaușescu. Ok too far, those were knights.

Andrik the unsmiling : a giant of a man and his house has a v.steel sword he could borrow!!

Daario(i know i know) anyone who looks and acts like him.esp amomg mercs has gotta attract fights daily! I mean description alone says "punch me" yet in a  world of cut throat mercs hes allowed to peacock away and even says he doesnt consider it a good day without killing someone! 

Some good callouts so far.  I agree with Andrew the Unsmiling, and Rolland Storm, and could go along with Karyl Vance.   I don't think I'd put Marq Piper in the badass category.   I think a lot of the other underrated badasses are from the less publicized regions (Dorne and the Iron Isles):  I'd say Daemon Sand, Anders Yronwood, Qarl the Maid, and Jason Mallister

Is Davos considered a badass? If he is, I apologize. But Ser Davos Seaworth. He repeatedly does actions he believes are right and then faces the consequences. Davos stands for what he believes in, and does not back down even when most would be afraid, or go with the flow. 

Ser Robar Royce - Without him, Catelyn and Brienne would most likely be dead, and I think his actions to protect someone he thinks is innocent, but is also essentially his enemy (Catelyn) is extremely honorable. 

4 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Is Davos considered a badass? If he is, I apologize. But Ser Davos Seaworth. He repeatedly does actions he believes are right and then faces the consequences. Davos stands for what he believes in, and does not back down even when most would be afraid, or go with the flow. 

Ser Robar Royce - Without him, Catelyn and Brienne would most likely be dead, and I think his actions to protect someone he thinks is innocent, but is also essentially his enemy (Catelyn) is extremely honorable. 

Royce's younger brother Waymar was also a badass. He's face-to-face with the ancient enemies of humankind after thousands of years since they last appeared and his response? "Dance with me, then." 

1 hour ago, SerDuncan said:

Yes

I've heard so called canon experts ask me who the hell he was

Wait, what????? We didn't all read the Dunk and Egg books?? I am being serious, there are times in which I believe the Dunk and Egg books are the best part of the series (not all the times, but I do freaking love them). And I do think actually they are kind of important-ish to understanding what is going on with (f)Aegon. 

4 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Wait, what????? We didn't all read the Dunk and Egg books?? I am being serious, there are times in which I believe the Dunk and Egg books are the best part of the series (not all the times, but I do freaking love them). And I do think actually they are kind of important-ish to understanding what is going on with (f)Aegon. 

Personally, Dunk and Egg's adventure in the North and their meeting with the she-wolves of Winterfell is my most awaited book.

10 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Royce's younger brother Waymar was also a badass. He's face-to-face with the ancient enemies of humankind after thousands of years since they last appeared and his response? "Dance with me, then." 

House Royce is the definition of badass.

11 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Davos is absolutely a badass, for all the reasons you gave.

”Jared of House Frey, I name you liar” is still one of my all time favourite GRRM moments.

Edited by James Steller