Underrated Badasses

Floki of the Ironborn

1 minute ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Podrick Payne. We really don’t talk enough about how a ten year old was able to kill a kingsguard knight in the middle of a battle.

Didn't Pod stab him in the back and throw him into the Blackwater bay?

I was thinking on this one for awhile, but decided to say it : Loras Tyrell. I think the fandom actually...doesn't view him as a badass (maybe I'm wrong though). I think the abomination plays into this (Loras is very pouty in the show). However, in the books, he is..kind of what he appears to be. He is kind to most others, he is mostly chivalrous (except when he murdered his sworn brothers after Renly's death), and I think he honestly tries to be the best person he can be (unlike a lot of our main characters). He seems loyal to his friends and family, and he doesn't really seem to have any secret motives or hangups. I think people notice Garlan (and they should) but kind of skip over that Loras...isn't that different from Garlan (perhaps a bit quieter and a bit more cocky about his prowess). 

2 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Lol, no.

He killed his sworn brothers in a hissy fit.

He along with his family go crawling back to Joffrey a king they revolted against.

He is happy to bad mounth Brienne for no reason, and dumb enough to keep blaming her for Renly's death when she loved him, and had nothing to gain by doing the deed.

When he took command of the Siege of Dragon Stone even his own men were pissed at him for his rash actions.

Everyone thinks Brienne killed Renly. And Loras's sworn brothers abetted her escape, becoming accessories after the fact. Loras does eventually see reason but I don't really blame him for reacting the way he does. 

Dragonstone could be argued as a strategic masterstroke by Loras, freeing up the Reach forces to return to their own territories while causing the majority of the casualties to fall on the Westermen, thereby increasing the Tyrells' power relative to the Throne. 

Whether and to what extent Aurane's account of what happened is accurate is of course another matter.

We have yet to have first hand account of the Siege of Dragonstone.  I’m not convinced it had all occurred the way we’ve been told.  In my mind the westerman led a weak assault and allowed a great knight to shoulder the brunt of the damage and only after Loras secured the victory do the Kingslanding forces push forward.  Allowing Ser Loras to be bludgeoned and burned with boiling oil.

”Dying is not DEAD!” - Margaery Tyrell

Folks, I've deleted a number of posts. Keep it polite or I'll start banning people.

I'm not sure I'd call Loras underrated within Westeros -- he's considered a great knight, after all. George himself listed him as one of the top warriors in the series, so his status seems unquestioned. It certainly is true that there are people who are quick to dismiss him, usually with poor reasoning, IMO, but they're going against the author and the story in that case.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Folks, I've deleted a number of posts. Keep it polite or I'll start banning people.

I'm not sure I'd call Loras underrated within Westeros -- he's considered a great knight, after all. George himself listed him as one of the top warriors in the series, so his status seems unquestioned. It certainly is true that there are people who are quick to dismiss him, usually with poor reasoning, IMO, but they're going against the author and the story in that case.

Jaime underestimates him too stating the Ser Arthur thing that was degrading

Edited by KingAerys_II

Aegon the Uncrowned. 

But I think the most underestimated Queens are Rhaena Targaryen and Alyssa Velaryon, Rhaena suffered the abuse of her uncle, then, she stole Blackfyre and escaped from him with Dreamfyre and her daughter, meanwhile Alyssa married Lord Baratheon and gained the support of the major houses

Edited by KingAerys_II

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Well I thought this topic was meant to be....in the fandom's opinion, not in Westerosi's opinion. Hmm, if it is Westerosi opinion, then Brienne of Tarth. She is constantly underrated by everyone throughout the books.