US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

12 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I just find those alliterations in names very unfortunate and a bit cartoonish.

So Ronna Romney would kinda fit right into that pantheon of names.

I always advise people whose surname is also a common noun, especially one that refers to an animal, never to alliterate because then it sounds like a cartoon character. Years ago there was a man who was featured on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" whose parents had named him Donald Duck three years before Walt Disney created the character. But despite the Marvel characters (and all the L.L. characters in DC's "Superman") I think saying all alliteration is "cartoonish" is an overreaction. Are Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, and Herbert Hoover "cartoonish" names?

Edited by Ormond
correcting line break

19 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Ronna Romney McDaniel is actually named after her mother, Ronna Stern Romney, who is also a Republican activist.

It is in fact highly unusual in modern American culture for a mother to give her daughter her own first name. It really could be seen as a somewhat feminist thing to do, though I am sure Ms. Stern Romney would deny that.  It certainly might help explain why Ronna Romney McDaniel is so much more willing to cowtow to Trump than her uncle, given what may be her identification with a mother whose first name she shares, especially since her mother and father are now divorced. It's a complicated family situation, though, as Mitt seems to have campaigned for Ronna Stern Romney during her two runs for the US Senate in Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronna_Romney

How fascinating. 

According to Wikipedia, Ronna's interest in public service was inspired by her mother and grandmother.  Trump literally made her change her name to drop the Romney so her public profession of devotion to him would be total.  He really is Voldemort isn't he?

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I always advise people whose surname is also a common noun, especially one that refers to an animal, never to alliterate because then it sounds like a cartoon character. Years ago there was a man who was featured on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" whose parents had named him Donald Duck three years before Walt Disney created the character. But despite the Marvel characters (and all the L.L. characters in DC's "Superman") I think saying all alliteration is "cartoonish" is an overreaction. Are Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, and Herbert Hoover "cartoonish" names?

Coolidge and Hoover are uncontroversially two of the worst US presidents ever, so yes?  

14 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Are Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, and Herbert Hoover "cartoonish" names?

Yes. That's the very short answer. I mean with Herbert Hoover I could possibly write up some fictional comic book villain stuff.  With Ronna Romney it's on some level even worse, because it's not merely the same phonem/letter. It's essentially the same sound because of the vowel. Ro-Ro. Well, Ron-Rom. The distincion between two nasal sounds.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

14 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Coolidge and Hoover are uncontroversially two of the worst US presidents ever, so yes?  

I don't think that's necessarily true, especially for Coolidge, who seems to average out in the third quartile and whose relative ranking actually seems to have risen a bit during the last couple of decades:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States

And Ronald Reagan, who I suspect many on this thread would claim is even more "cartoonish", actually averages out around #11 on historians' rankings according to the link.

27 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I don't think that's necessarily true, especially for Coolidge, who seems to average out in the third quartile and whose relative ranking actually seems to have risen a bit during the last couple of decades.

I think it's not so much that his ranking has improved as that the US has painfully discovered in the last two decades there are presidents whose activities are objectively worse than a profound philosophical commitment to inactivity.  But, yeah, OK, true.  There have always been silent Cal fanboys and fangirls.  

53 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Trump literally made her change her name to drop the Romney so her public profession of devotion to him would be total.  

#FamilyValues

51 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Everyone forgets Harding, who also sucked. The run from Taft through Hoover is stunningly bad.

34 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I don't think that's necessarily true, especially for Coolidge, who seems to average out in the third quartile and whose relative ranking actually seems to have risen a bit during the last couple of decades:

The last generation of conservatives made an effort to improve his image much like the old guard of today tried to make Reagan seem better than he was. Coolidge was a bad president whose policies more likely than not helped cause The Great Depression. He also was awful on foreign policy. He gets credit for the Roaring Twenties, but he didn't do much to actually cause the economic boom and his most notable lasting legislative accomplishment is heavily restrict immigration.

Edited by Tywin et al.

2 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I think it's not so much that his ranking has improved as that the US has painfully discovered in the last two decades there are presidents whose activities are objectively worse than a profound philosophical commitment to inactivity.  But, yeah, OK, true.  There have always been silent Cal fanboys and fangirls.  

Silent? There's nothing silent about @Kalnak the Magnificent

Both Trump and Biden have made rather unfortunate remarks about the conflict in Gaza (Trump by calling Hezbollah 'smart and the Israeli defense minister a 'jerk', and Biden by falsely stating something about the beheading of children). Meanwhile Tuberville is blocking 9 senior military positions associated with the ME because of...reasons.

No one should look to the US for help on the international stage anymore. Good luck, China.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

#FamilyValues

Everyone forgets Harding, who also sucked. The run from Taft through Hoover is stunningly bad.

The last generation of conservatives made an effort to improve his image much like the old guard of today tried to make Reagan seem better than he was. Coolidge was a bad president whose policies more likely than not helped cause The Great Depression. He also was awful on foreign policy. He gets credit for the Roaring Twenties, but he didn't do much to actually cause the economic boom and his most notable lasting legislative accomplishment is heavily restrict immigration.

Well the most memorable thing about coolidge is the coolidge effect :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolidge_effect

Wilson was kind of the worst/best of both Worlds wasnt't he? A dedicated Racist and fan of the KKK on one hand but also kind of idealistic when it came to foreign policy (I assume the league of nations would have worked much better if Wilson wasn't incapacitated during his last months in office and if he managed to get the US into it), his foreign and domestic policy overall was reasonable (aside from everything that had to do with African Americans, nonwhites, confederates, segregation, Jim crow etc.)

Just now, Spockydog said:

Aye. Of course. Though you'd never guess it, based on almost every single news report. 

MSNBC is usually my go to, but their coverage and guests have been veering pretty hard into defensive justification was what's going on in Gaza currently, and about to.

The UN has reported something like 11 aid worker deaths, and the Red Cross as had 3 or 4 too. Need an aid corridor badly, for life necessities, medications, etc. 

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Biden by falsely stating something about the beheading of children)

TBH, I'm really disappointed in Biden and his response.

It's as though everyone is trying to out-hysteria everybody else.

Particularly about the children -- people are literally howling it's true.

The mainstream media, o lord -- they keep emphasizing clips in mainstream media -- particularly NPR and the BBC -- by people who are supposedly testifying to what happened to their families that more and more often cleverly include terms such as 'gassed' and other terms that came out of the Holocaust (that really and truly and truly evilly happened and which continues to make me sick -- just in case anyone wants to start yelling "denier!" -- every time it comes to my mind, which is every day).  More and more of them are ringing in my ears as manipulation and ... maybe ... not even true.  Israel isn't doing itself any favors with this, and that Biden is going along with it isn't doing himself any favor either.

The most measured, and intelligent, words I've heard, come from the callers, both Jewish and Arab, Israeli and Palestinians, who live here in NYC.  This doesn't mean, of course, there aren't hysterics on both sides here too -- except only the Jewish hysterics are getting on the air; Palestinians and Arabs who are thoughtful and measured, however do.  I throw up my hands.  Media should all be shut down, particularly the Xshytter.

They have all just about dropped coverage of anything else too  -- whatever happened to Ukraine?  The only other thing they will cover endlessly is every deranged piece of shyte that extrudes out of the open orifice of you know who.  The media is disgusting.

Edited by Zorral

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

whose relative ranking actually seems to have risen a bit during the last couple of decades:

Ya, he didn't actively slave trade in the White House like, o Jackson and Polk did.  Or actively sell it out, like Buchanan.  Or try to bring back the confederate traitors to the House and Senate like Johnson.  Or nuke Japan like Truman.

House Speaker race latest: Scalise still short of 217 votes : NPR

Steve Scalise ("David Duke without the baggage," in his own words) will probably take at least as many rounds of voting to win the gavel as Kevin McCarthy did, if he even manages to win it after Trump endorsed his main opponent.

Granted, I know the Gaslight-Obstruct-Project party doesn't even bother to have a pretense of caring about the responsibility to govern anymore, but surely this level of disarray and disfunction will have some impact. Particularly with the punted government shutdown looming over our heads, which will cause grievous harm to federal employees and their families, and to Americans in general -- who rely on federal agencies running.

Even American swing voters, who have seemingly been comfortable with Republicans racing off the cliff to the right and shedding any semblance of norms, might think twice before giving Republicans the majority in the House again. (I am not so naïve as to disregard how brutal the 2024 Senate map is for Democrats, on the other hand.)

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wanted also to change Romney to Ronna, as I assumed some auto-correct fail. But no, Ronna is indeed a Romney (Mitten's niece). Wasn't really aware of that. So before her marriage she was Ronna Romney? And I thought she couldn't possibly get more cartoonish

The reason I mentioned it is that apparently she dropped that name in the wake of trumpism/ her namesake (I actually thought they were related) not being that into him.