US Politics: the McCarthy Trials

Kalbear

10 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Yes, but it was realistic fantasy

I just like thinking through political thought experiments, no matter how unlikely.

But today it appears that there's actually more Democrats missing than Republicans. Not enough to change the math substantially, but still a disappointment. Those Democrats better have damn good reasons though.

Jim Jordan and Donald Trump's embarrassing week reminds us: MAGA "tough guys" are cowards at heart
Trump's efforts at witness intimidation fall flat, while Jordan fails to bully his way to power

https://www.salon.com/2023/10/20/jim-jordan-and-donald-embarrassing-week-reminds-us-maga-tough-guys-are-cowards-at-heart/

.... That's Jim Jordan in a nutshell: A lot of talk about how tough he is, followed up by an unwillingness to show even the barest amount of real courage. Telling these players they should have killed Strauss is not about actually being a badass. It's about shifting the blame to the victims so that Jordan can avoid taking action. 

The stakes were much lower on Thursday, but the pattern held firm: Jordan's focus was on creating an illusion of tenacity while being too much of a wimp to own up to his own failures. He talked up a big game about going forward to a third vote to be Speaker, having lost the first two. In reality, Jordan was negotiating a deal to cancel the vote and let Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., take on the role of "temporary" Speaker. (Though that looks like that option won't be happening, either.) As Jake Sherman and John Bresnahan of Punchbowl News explain, "Jordan hates to lose. His entire brand is wrapped up in fighting liberals and being a winner." He found a way to pull out of the race while pretending to stay in. ....

.... The emptiness behind the manly-man posturing of MAGA Republicans was hilariously illustrated on Wednesday when Trump failed to pretend that he was too busy fighting in court to handle the tedious candidate duties of kissing babies and eating corn dogs. Talking to reporters outside the courtroom, Trump complained, "They want to keep me here instead of campaigning in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, lots of other great places." Even by his low standards of chest-thumping, this lie was weak sauce. Not only did Trump sound more whiny than resolute, it was also a transparent lie that he "had" to be at a court proceeding he's been skipping out on for two weeks. 

But then the fragile ruse completely fell apart when a reporter asked Trump if he'd be in court again Thursday. "Probably not. We're having a very big professional golf tournament at Doral," Trump responded. Mr. "I'll Go To Prison," it turns out, doesn't even have the stamina to skip golf to meet voters. Unsurprisingly, Joe Biden's campaign had fun with this on Twitter.  ....

15 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I'm starting to believe (ok, actually I've believed it for quite some time) that NOBODY above the ground troops will go to jail for the coup attempt. Seems the second and third tiers will flip and get genrous deals (unless they get off otherwise, like Meadows still might) to tell on Trump, and I doubt that he'll ever go to jail.

I don't think Donald Trump will ever see the inside of a cell, true, but Rudy Giuliani just might. In fact, I have a feeling that Powell's testimony might be worse for Rudy than for The Donald. Powell and Giuliani were thick as thieves, and you've gotta figure she can tell some juicy stories.

(This is my intuition speaking, mind you. I don't have any special information.)

That's true, Giuliani might be the only one facing real consequences.

As for the speaker vote, I do love it when they get humiliated! Not that this will keep him from trying again, one way or another. Who will finally make the race, Gym, who'd threaten your grandkids if you don't vote for him, or Kevin, who'd sell his own grandkids (provided he has any)? Stay tuned and find out!

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

25 Republicans against Gym Jordan this time:

https://x.com/kylegriffin1/status/1715401324643152021?s=46

Hmm...five days ago I'd have said that Jordan was a lock simply because there was no alternative on offer. However, losing votes over successive attempts argues against my previous position. So I am now flip-flopping to "who knows what will happen."

38 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

I don't think Donald Trump will ever see the inside of a cell, true, but Rudy Giuliani just might. In fact, I have a feeling that Powell's testimony might be worse for Rudy than for The Donald. Powell and Giuliani were thick as thieves, and you've gotta figure she can tell some juicy stories.

(This is my intuition speaking, mind you. I don't have any special information.)

Rudy's broke, and most of his money was smoke and mirrors anyway, depending on 'gigs', not ownership of infrastructure like golf courses.  Without money you're nobody, in the courts as well as everywhere else.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Boebert is deeply and profoundly stupid.

Well, she's probably wrong attributing this to ALL the Republicans in the House, but it actually seems to me like one of most insghtful statements about herself she's ever made. I certainly think Boebert, Paul Gosar, Matt Gaetz, and Jim Jordan see themselves as being aggressive "Alpha" people and that explains some of their bad behavior.

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Well, she's probably wrong attributing this to ALL the Republicans in the House, but it actually seems to me like one of most insghtful statements about herself she's ever made. I certainly think Boebert, Paul Gosar, Matt Gaetz, and Jim Jordan see themselves as being aggressive "Alpha" people and that explains some of their bad behavior.

They're not even aggressively average. 

We are here because we convinced hundred of thousands of people that we are leaders.”

They are there because They are so stupid They don't even know They are the puppets of fascists like Roger Stone who are actually pulling the strings, which, at the moment is to make the federal government utterly dysfunctional so They and fascists can exercise all the control of all the resources of the USA and its people -- control everyone, particularly African Americans and women.

Yes, They are right -- there is a deep state and dark government, and They are the ones working on behalf of Their masters to bring it out overtly.