UK Politics: Tory Closing Down Sale- Everything Must Go

polishgenius

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

This doesn't seem dodgy at all. I mean, I get it, if it's cancelled something has to be done with the land eventually, but why the unseemly rush? 

Could be corruption, could be incompetence, could just be plain spite. Not enough to cancel the project, have to make it impossible for anyone to reverse the decision.

Partner hearing the video in the other room, yells, "What the fuck language is that??????"

I respond, "British Tories."

"Savages," he growls.  "They speak English like a buncha savages, doncha know!"

8 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Could be corruption, could be incompetence, could just be plain spite. Not enough to cancel the project, have to make it impossible for anyone to reverse the decision.

And it could be both! 

Not to worry though, the mighty Tories may have a new leader in a few years! :stillsick:

https://www.politico.eu/article/nigel-farage-leader-uk-conservative-party-2026/

21 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And it could be both! 

Not to worry though, the mighty Tories may have a new leader in a few years! :stillsick:

https://www.politico.eu/article/nigel-farage-leader-uk-conservative-party-2026/

Well for that he would have to 1) join the Conservative party.  2) get himself selected to run as an MP for them,  3) win local election and become an MP  (something he has failed to do many times so far)   and then 4) get the Tory MP's to elect him as leader unopposed or be in the final 2 then get the wider party members to vote for him.

I do not think we have to worry about him actually being Tory leader.  he just likes to be in the news.

6 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Well for that he would have to 1) join the Conservative party.  2) get himself selected to run as an MP for them,  3) win local election and become an MP  (something he has failed to do many times so far)   and then 4) get the Tory MP's to elect him as leader unopposed or be in the final 2 then get the wider party members to vote for him.

I do not think we have to worry about him actually being Tory leader.  he just likes to be in the news.

I hear ya. But these are crazy times. Seems Sunak and Rees-Mogg would be fine w/ him joining. And seriously, he'd fit right in. 

17 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I hear ya. But these are crazy times. Seems Sunak and Rees-Mogg would be fine w/ him joining. And seriously, he'd fit right in. 

he would in many ways fit right in.  but Fararge is not a team player.  he wants to be the big fish and not a follower.  he would have to be a follower at least to start with to get within shot of being the main thing.

6 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

he would in many ways fit right in.  but Fararge is not a team player.  he wants to be the big fish and not a follower.  he would have to be a follower at least to start with to get within shot of being the main thing.

I’m pessimistic enough to believe he probably has a fair shot. The more extreme/nutter elements of the party seem to be unopposed to it. Truss etc. I think they see him as having populist appeal like Johnson but less of a loose cannon. They could parachute him into a safe seat, and if there’s no credible alternative then he could get in.

Hopefully the more moderate Tories can rally and drag the party to the centre.

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Man who has literally no power is apparently the most powerful black person in the UK. Pretty damning. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67229513

I mean the Prime Minister, the actual most powerful person in the UK is Asian.

Oh and so is the first minister of Scotland and the mayor of London.

Edited by Heartofice

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Man who has literally no power is apparently the most powerful black person in the UK. Pretty damning. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67229513

Influential, not powerful - bloody headline writers!

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I mean the Prime Minister, the actual most powerful person in the UK is Asian.

Oh and so is the first minister of Scotland and the mayor of London.

And neither are black - for this award it's specifically African, African-Carribean or African-American

Edited by Which Tyler

13 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

And neither are black - for this award it's specifically African, African-Carribean or African-American

Right.. so what is the point that is trying to be made? It's damning? Who is it damning? If some of the most powerful positions in the UK are held by non white people, what are we meant to take from the idea that it's damning?