Whatcha Watching?

Ramsay B.

Actually I liked The Killer, I didn’t love it however and that’s probably because it doesn’t feel very Fincher, it’s just a sort of run of the mill assassin movie. There are a couple of nice scenes, visually, but it felt like a Netflix movie, and that’s not a compliment.

Ive seen the ‘boring’ complaint a lot, I never found it boring, it’s about a meticulous character whose whole life is about waiting, I found that pretty interesting. In fact I’m not sure it really explored that well enough which is maybe a failing.

Mostly I just think the ending fell flat for me, a bit of a ‘huh? Is that it?’ kind of thing. 

Just checked out the documentary Buried. It's about a major avalanche at Lake Tahoe in the early 80s. It goes into the the days leading up, the event itself and the aftermath with interviews from survivors and those who had to lead the rescue. It also explores possible mistakes that were made and how it still haunts people who were there that day. I know it sounds grim, but it's really well done and does have a positive ending. 

On 11/8/2023 at 12:35 PM, Tywin et al. said:

How dare you! The Lion King is the best Disney movie ever! It's Hamlet, but with lions and a happy ending!!!

And the 90's videogame based on the movie was awesome! 

1989 (The Little Mermaid), 1991 (Aladdin), 1992 (Beauty and the Beast), 1994 (The Lion King)... I was 17 in 1994 so I wonder if I was just doing other stuff like having a boyfriend etc which is maybe why I didn't engage as much with it at the time it came out?

I just watched It's a Sin in one day. Keeley Hawes is great. Bit distracting, all the scenes of Manchester pretending to be London though, like the exterior wedding scene at Victoria Baths (home of the famous indymanbeercon)... I don't get why they didn't just set it in Manchester full stop? From the perspective of someone who works in infectious disease, it must have been absolutely insane, the ignorance, the slow drip of news with no internet to join up people and ideas. The 'don't die of ignorance' ad was such a watershed moment for anyone growing up at that time. Absolutely classic that some people would just turn it off and be like: 'this is nothing to do with us'. Incredibly sad.

Currently watching Belgian mini series: Sense of Tumour.

Wasn't entirely sold on the premise, but it's quite good actually.

As for the best Disney Movie ever.

Ty is a clueless heathen. Only acceptable answers are either The Jungle Book (the cartoon not that awful live action movie from a couple of years ago) or Robin Hood.

Lion King for realz? Bare Necessities vs. Circle of Life. It's not even a contest.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

As for the best Disney Movie ever.

Ty is a clueless heathen. Only acceptable answers are either The Jungle Book (the cartoon not that awful live action movie from a couple of years ago) or Robin Hood.

Lion King for realz? Bare Necessities vs. Circle of Life. It's not even a contest.

You shut your whorish horse mouth! Be Prepared slaps harder than anything in The Jungle Book. Robin Hood was dope though. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You shut your whorish horse mouth! Be Prepared slaps harder than anything in The Jungle Book. Robin Hood was dope though. 

The Lion King 2 is better than freaking Jungle Book. 

Kovu's Lullabye is my jam.

1 hour ago, Jace, Extat said:

The Lion King 2 is better than freaking Jungle Book. 

Kovu's Lullabye is my jam.

You may have taken this too far.

But overall if we're ranking Disney soundtracks, The Jungle Book isn't near the top tier. Like Ripp said, The Lion King and so many other movies have numerous songs that still hold up. Jungle Book is a one trick pony.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You may have taken this too far.

But overall if we're ranking Disney soundtracks, The Jungle Book isn't near the top tier. Like Ripp said, The Lion King and so many other movies have numerous songs that still hold up. Jungle Book is a one trick pony.

Not true.

Like I said, first there's Bare Necessities, which is just dope and absolute classic that still holds up. (Pumbaa is rip off trying to get that Balu vibe into Lion King (with Timon as b-tech Bagheera)).

Second there's also that song you ought to sing to every horse you encounter.

Jungle Book sound track overall is great. You really seem to underestimate it.

Admittedly I might be a bit biased towards the more jazzy side tunes.

If we're turning this into a favourite Disney thread, I'll champion Beauty and the Beast. Nothing compares to Gaston. I repeat, NOTHING.

But the Lion King is also great and I do remember its direct to video sequel fondly, so I do agree with @Jace, Extat that it beats Jungle Book.

Anyways, most of Disney output in the early nineties was great. The real controversial question is when Disney started messing up again. For me the last true great Disney movie of the nineties was the Hunchback of the Notre Dame, with the latter Mulan also coming close.

Saying this, I know that I'm painting a target on my back for all the crazily obsessed Tarzan and Hercules fans :box:

On 11/8/2023 at 1:28 PM, Isis said:

This, Beauty & the Beast and Aladdin were prime Disney period for me. When I was a kid there was just the faded-loooking stuff like Jungle Book. These three films looked totally different to that. And I guess The Lion King as well, but for some reason I don't feel any attachement to that film...the voice cast is great - perhaps it is just too sad and I am refusing to engage with it because of that?

Were you rooting for Scar to win in the end? :p 

I finally got around to finishing my run through movies from the early 1980s.

Raging Bull.  Definitely a classic.   Since I also watched Killers of the Flower Moon recently, it was an interesting experience to compare the two Scorsese movies.  You can tell a story about a deeply unpleasant man, and still be willing to watch it again because it is told very well, with great acting.  Hard to imagine watching Flower Moon again, even if it had a lot of positive aspects.

I’m not the biggest Indiana Jones fan but Raiders is definitely a very enjoyable movie.  And oh so influential.

I had watched Blade Runner when I was much younger.  Wasn’t that impressed as I expected a completely different movie.  Now I can appreciate it much more.  Ironically, I’m merely following the initial public reaction and the later re-evaluation.  A meditation on being human.

The Right Stuff.  This is a very fine film about the early space age but the heart of the movie is focused on Chuck Yeager, who is tangentially related.  It still works but it makes it feels like there are two separate movies pressed together.  Probably most famous now for introducing so many younger actors who would become some of the bigger character actors around.

And I had never seen Amadeus before.  Or that familiar with the story except that F Murray Abraham would play the villain (in his greatest role).  While it starts almost as a comedy (and there are some truly hilarious moments in it), it ends as a tragedy, going into a very dark place.  Based on this movie, you’d wonder how Mozart ever became famous. (Obviously, artistic license is taken).  The fact that I didn’t recognise most of the music just adds to my weird sense of dissonance (I am a philistine it seems).  But I really liked it. Jeffrey Jones is great as the Emperor (before I found out he has had seriously unsavoury troubles too in real life).  Weird how Hulce never did anything much after this.