Upcoming TV shows/Movies: A Post-Strike World

Corvinus85

Starting a new thread with some potential big news: https://deadline.com/2023/11/denzel-washington-hannibal-the-conqueror-movie-casting-netflix-1235598402/

Netflix has attached Denzel Washington to play the ancient Carthaginian general Hannibal in an untitled epic drama that will reteam him with Antoine Fuqua for Netflix.

Not enthusiastic about this coming from Netflix, but if Fuqua and Washington are allowed to work, this could be epic and great.

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Starting a new thread with some potential big news: https://deadline.com/2023/11/denzel-washington-hannibal-the-conqueror-movie-casting-netflix-1235598402/

Not enthusiastic about this coming from Netflix, but if Fuqua and Washington are allowed to work, this could be epic and great.

Makes no sense to me. Denzel is 68. Hannibal was 30-45 when leading his war. He died from suicide at 64. Just seems... off. 

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Makes no sense to me. Denzel is 68. Hannibal was 30-45 when leading his war. He died from suicide at 64. Just seems... off. 

Napoleon does something similar.

I don't know, I suppose there are other actors who could do the job who would be nearer the right age, but Washington has cachet and drawing power.

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

True, but we're getting something similar with Joaquin Phoenix in Napoleon. Maybe they'll de-age him. ;) And then show him old at the end.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

True, but we're getting something similar with Joaquin Phoenix in Napoleon. Maybe they'll de-age him. ;) And then show him old at the end.

We are. While I haven't seen it, I've read from a fair few people that he was miscast.

‘The echoes with Trump are obvious’: BBC series on Caesar casts light on similarities with modern populists
A new three-part docudrama will explore the rise and fall of the Roman general-turned-despot and his impact on history

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/nov/18/echoes-with-trump-bbc-series-caesar-similarities-modern-populists

It is “the most thrilling, the most extraordinary political story” in history, whose central character “stamps himself on the fabric of time and whose fame endures throughout the ages”, according to historian Tom Holland.

For Rory Stewart, podcaster, former soldier and former politician, that character is “a disgrace in every single way. He’s immoral, he’s irreligious and he’s a political tyrant”.

The man in question is Julius Caesar, the subject of a new BBC three-part docudrama in which Holland and Stewart dissect the popular Roman general-turned-despot, offering different perspectives. Holland admires Caesar as a “titanic figure”; Stewart bats for his principled arch-enemy, Cato.

Julius Caesar: The Making of a Dictator starts on 27 November and includes dramatised scenes depicting Caesar’s rise and fall, his ambitions, plots, alliances and conquests as he dismantles five centuries of the Roman republic in just 16 years. It shows how some of those closest to Caesar tried to stop the march towards tyranny, culminating in daggers being plunged into his body on the Ides of March in 44BCE as he sat on his golden throne in the Roman senate.

Parallels are drawn with modern-day populism and the echoes seen in leaders such as Donald Trump, Jair Bolsonaro and Vladimir Putin. Caesar endures “in the imagination either as an exemplar to be emulated or as a warning from history”, said Holland. ....

13 hours ago, IlyaP said:

You're a gem, thanks @Quijote Light!

As I mentioned in another thread, it looks like Scream 7 is falling apart, which is perhaps for the best: 

https://www.darkhorizons.com/ortega-exits-scream-7-over-wednesday/

This doesn't seem a like a bad thing at all. I recently watched the latest Scream and she was almost AI generated, she was utterly non descript and bland. They could lose her tomorrow and make another Scream and it would probably be better.

22 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I hope that they acknowledge the TV show even if the story doesn't have continuity with it. It would be weird if they don't considering Ralph Macchio is involved. 

The Cobra Kai showrunners are involved as consultants, though they don't have any control over the end result.

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

Also, Mantel's final Cromwell, The Mirror and the Light, will be on screen, on PBS, at least here in the US; surely it will be in Britain someplace as well.

https://hollywood-spy.blogspot.com/2023/11/damian-lewis-and-mark-rylance-are-back.html

Will air on BBC 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/wolf-hall-the-mirror-and-the-light-announcement

On 11/26/2023 at 11:24 AM, Zorral said:

1242 Gateway To the West, coproduction between Hungary and Mongolia; May next year.

First, RIP Ray Stevenson. Is this his last movie? I know he died while filming something in Sicily, but I don't know if he finished that project.

Second, I find it interesting that Hungary under their current government is showing a movie where they didn't fare so well. 1242 would be right after the Battle of Mohi. It does look like a lot of the movie is about the Mongol infighting that occurs after and it will likely include the news about the death of the Khagan Ögedei and the Mongol subsequent withdrawal from Central Europe.