Videogames: All Valves on Deck

IlyaP

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Ahh then just play on the directx 11, it’s essentially then the same game with higher textures which you can optionally turn down in the graphics menu. The new quality of life changes like the new camera angle , UI changes, quests etc will all be there.

T'were that it were so simple, to quote the Cohen brothers. 

Naturally, I play the game in DX11, as DX12 just *does not work* in-game. The actual game itself will load, but after moving past the loading screens, like many, my screen remains black and unresponsive.

Meanwhile, my anti-aliasing choices are either FXAA or TAAU, and the latter looks terrific, but even if I scale down all the other graphics options and keept his enabled (eg turn textures, water, environmentals, etc down from Ultra+ to High or even Medium) the game just stutters. 

And FXAA in Witcher 3 v.4 (the current version - it's like 4.0.4, so I'm calling it 4.0 for simplicity's sake) looks awful - both with and without sharpening, which is also pretty dreadful when cranked up (and oddly, I cannot completely disable Sharpening).  There are ultimately numerous issues with W3 4.0 that are an issue for many gamers with numerous systems configurations. 

There are also observable memory leak issues, stuttering problems, and optimisation issues - particularly in Toussaint, which bring the game to a crawl at times. The next gen release is still in need of further tweaking, patching, and improvements. 

Such is life though. Just a game. Leaves me more time to read books instead.

Edited by IlyaP
Typo

Posted (edited)

@IlyaP I agree 100% I love the devs for giving us a free update that actually incorporated and credited a lot of community mods as well but the next gen version I would essentially only recommend to people with a nvidea 3000 series graphics card and above,they did NOT do a good job optimising it. I also get frequent CTDs , it’s almost like playing a heavily modded TW3. :P 

I would say wait for them to release their new modding tools and then look at nexus for some community mods that optimise performance as well as new quest mods. It’ll probably take a year but like you said plenty of things to do till then. Go re read Asoiaf, I do that every 3-5 years as I keep forgetting the details and sub plots lol 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I would say wait for them to release their new modding tools and then look at nexus for some community mods that optimise performance as well as new quest mods.

The current W3 modding tools could use some work - mainly a UX polish, to make the modding process more logical and easy to understand. At the moment, they're fine? But they could be better. 

6 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

The current W3 modding tools could use some work - mainly a UX polish, to make the modding process more logical and easy to understand. At the moment, they're fine? But they could be better. 

Yeah that’s why their releasing a full fledged toolkit like Bethesda, which will even give modders the tools to create new environments, cut scenes, animations etc I’m looking forward to replay the game in a year once there is enough new content and quests, kinda like what the upcoming fallout London mod is doing for FO4.

13 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yeah that’s why their releasing a full fledged toolkit like Bethesda, which will even give modders the tools to create new environments, cut scenes, animations etc I’m looking forward to replay the game in a year once there is enough new content and quests, kinda like what the upcoming fallout London mod is doing for FO4.

Didn’t the next gen update delay this? This update has really irritated me, the game is now something like 20gb on my machine, for an old game with not very good graphics and an update that doesn’t make my PC experience better.

Apparently there are mods to fix loading times, but these aren’t in the mod store area within the game, you’d need to go through nexus mods, which is a pain, something I haven’t done since the old days of Skyrim. So I have ditched the idea of revisiting the game after watching the series. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Didn’t the next gen update delay this? This update has really irritated me, the game is now something like 20gb on my machine, for an old game with not very good graphics and an update that doesn’t make my PC experience better.

Apparently there are mods to fix loading times, but these aren’t in the mod store area within the game, you’d need to go through nexus mods, which is a pain, something I haven’t done since the old days of Skyrim. So I have ditched the idea of revisiting the game after watching the series. 

Play Witcher 3 next gen instead :P with the graphics maxed out it’s still honestly one of the best looking games , right with RDR2.

yeah the London mod is delayed and the creators were pissed cause BGS didn’t communicate anything and I don’t play fallout but I think the updates broken many mods. 

Modded Cyberpunk 2077 looks like real life:

15 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Playing the game of life. Definitely an RPG.

Nah, not a fan. I feel like the game railroads waaaay too much and doesn't offer as much choice as other games. Plus, I feel like I've built my character a little too poorly, like if "Movie Trivia" is not going to be a useful skill, why include it? Really would benefit from a respec option.

9 hours ago, Durckad said:

Nah, not a fan. I feel like the game railroads waaaay too much and doesn't offer as much choice as other games. Plus, I feel like I've built my character a little too poorly, like if "Movie Trivia" is not going to be a useful skill, why include it? Really would benefit from a respec option.

And the fact that that you got to play ironman mode. That's only for the experts.

11 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

So do you guys think Bethesda and BioWare will be able to redeem themselves with TES 6 and DA 4 respectively? Both of these studios haven’t made a good game in a while. 

I have zero hope for DA4.  The game has gradually become less and less of an RPG.  :D  In all seriousness though, it really is completely unrecognizable compared to the original vision for the style of the franchise.  And I don't see that as a positive.

12 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

So do you guys think Bethesda and BioWare will be able to redeem themselves with TES 6 and DA 4 respectively? Both of these studios haven’t made a good game in a while. 

Personally I enjoyed DA:I but I don't have much hope for DA 4, all the talent seems to have left Bioware.

Don't have much hope for TES 6. Seems Bethesda peaked with Skyrim.

Companies I loved growing up were Bioware, Blizzard and Bethesda who all seem to be shadows of their former selves. I guess it's like they said in The Dark Knight: "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain".

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Darryk said:

Personally I enjoyed DA:I but I don't have much hope for DA 4, all the talent seems to have left Bioware.

Don't have much hope for TES 6. Seems Bethesda peaked with Skyrim.

Companies I loved growing up were Bioware, Blizzard and Bethesda who all seem to be shadows of their former selves. I guess it's like they said in The Dark Knight: "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain".

I didn’t love BGS but yeah I grew up on Warcraft 3 and the BioWare RPGS. Sucks what’s happened to them.

Atleast with the latter two i can see how corporate interference fucked them, I’m not sure what the problem with BGS was….

8 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Atleast with the latter two i can see how corporate interference fucked them, I’m not sure what the problem with BGS was….

Personally think they got complacent after all of the big sales and acclaim and general pop-culture recognition on Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Fallout 4. Maybe a bit egotistical as well. Now I haven't played Starfield (so take this with a grain of salt here) but everything about that game screams "this is okay" and "unremarkable" rather than actively terrible so I think, and hope, Bethesda can right the ship and pull some quality out of their next game.

Bioware, I'm not sure, I really hope they can, but it seems to me that they're just not interested in making games that I like anymore. The Dragon Age games are really, really spotty, with DAI being actively bad (IMO). Even DAO I don't think holds up all that well anymore from a gameplay perspective. ME:A, even though I haven't finished it yet, I did enjoy playing it so I guess there's still hope.

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

And the fact that that you got to play ironman mode. That's only for the experts.

And combine that with random starting stats and backgrounds? Buncha bullshit honestly.

On 5/1/2024 at 7:42 AM, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Modded Cyberpunk 2077 looks like real life:

Almost. The 2.20-2.40 bit looks about 95% photorealistic, the closest I've seen in a game (though not in a game vanilla, that's Alan Wake II).

The rest of it has some sort of weird frameshifting effect going on, so it looks real, but like real model cars driving around. The scaling feels really off, possibly the lighting effect they're using. Would probably look better at night.

The characters wreck it though, they just look like vanilla. That's when you realise it's smoke and mirror with the lighting and surfaces. Once they can nail people, we'll be cooking for real.