Fargo Season 5: Pride of Lyons [spoilers]

SpaceChampion

Fargo usually has threads for each season, so I started this...     I just want to say I never heard of a tv series called Blue Bloods before, and was mildly surprised to see it's been going on 14 years.

Edited by SpaceChampion

16 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Fargo usually has threads for each season, so I started this...     I just want to say I never heard of a tv series called Blue Bloods before, and was mildly surprised to see it's been going on 14 years.

The only reason I’m aware of it is because Steven Schirripa constantly brought it up on the Talking Sopranos podcast. Guess he’s a regular on it. 

As for the new season of Fargo, like I mentioned in the watching thread, I was pretty into the first couple episodes. Hopefully this one is a return to form (like 1 & 2) after a couple middling seasons. 

17 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I remember the newly-minted Sky Atlantic advertising Blue Bloods a lot because I think it was the only other new show apart from Game of Thrones they were airing on it in 2011. Everything else was older HBO repeats (fortunately that gets you quite far).

This season had a really strong opening episode and a solid second one. Also hoping for a return to form as I didn’t even finish s4 out of sheer boredom.

Loved the scene between Lorraine and Dot at the kitchen table. Great acting by both when Dot goes into her “listen bitch” bit. Lorraine straightened up and lost the control for a quick second, and didn’t like it obviously. Good shit.

Assuming we doing spoilers too?

It's also the only season extensively set in North Dakota -- though Minnesota is equally the locale. (I always had so much trouble with the original Coen Fargo as 'Fargo' since it was almost entirely in Minnesota, and barely cross the state line to West Fargo.  Yes, I know the place, o do I know the place.)

The Hamm character and his minions are way way way too much like actual, contemporary Nodaks running things. Particularly in their attitudes about women.  There's a state house legislator for instance, who has been reprimanded several times for the personal shyte he's hurled at a pregnant co-legislator, whose personal history outside the house is utterly horrific. But, yes, only reprimanded, told to be polite, but not censored, not expelled.

I’m excited for this despite DNFing a boring S4.  But since this is a spoiler thread I’ll have to steer clear until I’ve caught up to all available episodes.  If the episodes are dropped weekly, I may hold off on watching until they’re all available and I can binge over a couple of weeks.

That music playing when Ole Munch was laying down was driving me crazy for a little bit. Thought it was from Poltergeist at first, then got it right on my second guess, The Shining

Anyways, a weird episode but I liked it. Great horror vibes throughout. Is Munch really 500 years old, or is it an ancestor? 

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Anyways, a weird episode but I liked it. Great horror vibes throughout. Is Munch really 500 years old, or is it an ancestor? 

I think it is an ancestor, but the first isn't entirely impossible. I do recall UFOs popping up in Fargo before. Nothing is entirely off the table on this show.

There are troubles with this show. Among them, the 3rd episode has the Bads driving from the general area around Bismark ND, in Burleigh County,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burleigh_County,_North_Dakota#/media/File:Map_of_North_Dakota_highlighting_Burleigh_County.svg

to Scandia, a suburban community of Minnesota’s Twin Cities.

“Scandia is a city in Washington County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 3,984 at the 2020 census.[3] Scandia is 25 miles northeast of Saint Paul, Minnesota.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandia,_Minnesota#/media/File:City_of_Scandia,_Washington_County,_Minnesota,_USA.svg

They start in the afternoon on Halloween and are in suburbia by Treat or Treat time.  This. Is. Not. Possible, as anyone knows. The writers share the concept of time and space as those who wrote Vikings. 

Edited by Zorral

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

There are troubles with this show. Among them, the 3rd episode has the Bads driving from the general area around Bismark ND, in Burleigh County,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burleigh_County,_North_Dakota#/media/File:Map_of_North_Dakota_highlighting_Burleigh_County.svg

to Scandia, a suburban community of Minnesota’s Twin Cities.

They start in the afternoon on Halloween and are in suburbia by Treat or Treat time.  This. Is. Not. Possible, as anyone knows. The writers share the concept of time and space as those who wrote Vikings. 

Oh my God what a massive problem! So glad it was brought to attention. That is an incredibly important fact to the show and humanity as a whole.

Naming a sin eater Munch seems geared particularly to  a 9-year old sensibility.  Munch does greatly resemble Lurch from The Addams Family tv series, one of our favorite after school re--run programs to watch when it was winter and too cold to go outside.  :rolleyes: :D  

A lotta tone conflict going on! 

Edited by Zorral

Is that a popular opinion that Season 4 was boring? I thought it was great. I’ve loved all of them, probably Season 3 the weakest for me.

It is crazy that a show can be a largely plausible, present day non-fantasy story and yet still have the audience asking “is that guy 500 years old?”