The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #8

LongRider

Clothes will last longer and colors stay brighter if you use cold water.  It is known.

I do, however, use hot water on whites with bleach.  My SO's underwear require it. :P  

Regular laundry detergent will remove stains if the garment is allowed to soak and you use a little "elbow grease" on them.  "EG" is not sold in a bottle, unfortunately.  

43 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Today I didn’t work and napped for a sum of 5 hours in the afternoon. I feel like a different person. This is the most glorious feeling I have experienced in months. I think I might be actually rested. Insane.

I occasionally take a day off just to catch up on my sleep. I even pay for breakfast club and after school club for the kids so i can really rinse it. 

There's a reason sleep deprivation has been used as torture. 

On 4/21/2024 at 10:45 AM, Tears of Lys said:

Clothes will last longer and colors stay brighter if you use cold water.  It is known.

If you want them to really last and stay bright, wash in cold and hang to dry.  That's also known.    :D

22 minutes ago, LongRider said:

If you want them to really last and stay bright, wash in cold and hang to dry.  That's also known.    :D

I do that with some really delicate stuff, like open-weave sweaters, but I usually like to wash all my cottons in cold, then toss them in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet on extra low heat, permanent press, for around 8-10 minutes, THEN hang to finish drying.  It seems to make any wrinkles fall out of them.  A bit of hand smoothing takes care of the rest.

Although, I shrank a favorite pair of pants this weekend!  :crying:  :crying:   Gorgeous grey/blue color, super soft fabric that felt marvelous on.   They fit me beautifully before, and now they're high-ankle.  I know that's supposed to be in style, but I liked them better before!

Boo-hoo!

Some of you might remember that about a year ago I had mentioned seeing an episode of Digging for Britain where a team goes off to look at a bunch of sunken ships, but I couldn’t recall the date of the maritime disaster. They talked about a large fleet of slave trading ships sailing down to Africa where they went to trade and pick up slaves, but got delayed, then sailed across to the US colonies to drop off the slaves and to pick up trade goods, got seriously delayed again, and so instead of making the crossing back in September they hit the rough storms of November and a huge number sank. It was very frustrating to troll through various maritime topics on Wikipedia but not be able to figure out the event.

Well, I suspect I found the event by accident. I’ve been listening to the complete set of Hamish Macbeth murder mysteries and the author regularly refers to some of the wild weather of the highlands, at one point saying “like the great storm of 1703”. Out of curiosity I looked it up and I bet that was the Digging for Britain storm that sank all those ships. The storm is suspected to have been a mere, and I use mere advisedly, Category 2 hurricane that hit Great Britain in November with terrible loss of life and caused enormous damage. Ships sank all over the coast, with thousands of sailors losing their lives. An estimated 8,000 to 15,000 people died, but some say the number could have been as high as 30,000. And typical storm damage was done, but in a country unprepared for hurricanes. According to Wikipedia in London alone 2,000 chimneys collapsed, killing many people. The bishop and his wife in Wells died when the chimney collapsed on them while in bed. Queen Anne had to shelter in the basement of St. Jame’s palace because of structural damage done to the roof and chimneys. 4,000 oak trees came down in the New Forest alone, and thousands of people drowned in parts of the country that are prone to flooding. One ship was found 15 miles inland.

Funny thing is, I’ve read a lot of English novels over the years and I don’t think I’ve ever read a novel where this storm played a role in the plot. You’d think someone would have written a novel where such a huge disaster was at the very least mentioned in passing.

33 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Funny thing is, I’ve read a lot of English novels over the years and I don’t think I’ve ever read a novel where this storm played a role in the plot. You’d think someone would have written a novel where such a huge disaster was at the very least mentioned in passing.

Funny you should say that. I'm currently writing a novel where a megastorm is the inciting incident to the whole narrative.

Even funnier is you should mention Hamish Macbeth. The TV show was one of my favourites ever. My novel is coincidentally set somewhere in the vicinity of Lochdubh. When I have free time and nothing better to read, I read a few chapters of the books. M C Beaton astonishes me - one of the worst writers I've ever encountered whilst still managing to be entertaining!

12 hours ago, HexMachina said:

Lying down for a "nap" and waking up 8 hours later then thinking, "well, nearly bedtime anyway I'll just turn over" is simultaneously the best and worst feeling in the world.

In my younger, wilder days, I occasionally went to bed at normal time after a few days of a bender and slept until 1800-2000 the next day. That fucks you up for days. 

I could probably do that now, my arsehole son had me up from 0330 yesterday and 0215 today, my wife is working away and I have a 15 hour shift. People are probably getting shouted at today. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Happy birthday, Spocky!

Thanks, Bird. I'm having cake with the family at the weekend! My baby sister is flying in from Geneva and it will be lovely to see her. We've not been in the same room since the Beforetimes.

Edited by Spockydog

33 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

It was my birthday the other day. My brother got me my first ever cordless drill (it's a beauty), a laser-beam measurer thingy (OMG WE LIVE IN THE FUTURE), and these socks, which are absolutely lovely. I am blessed.

Happy belated name day! 

29 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Happy belated name day! 

Thank you. I'm 55 now but I really don't feel like an old man.  In many, many ways, I am still a boy. You should have heard the sound that came out of me when I unwrapped my Captain Picard and Miles Morales action figures at the weekend. They're in my Pantheon TM right now, having a laugh and a dance with some of my brother's Doctor Who crowd.

I'm not even sorry.  :lol: 

Edited by Spockydog

12 hours ago, Spockydog said:

It was my birthday the other day. My brother got me my first ever cordless drill (it's a beauty), a laser-beam measurer thingy (OMG WE LIVE IN THE FUTURE), and these socks, which are absolutely lovely. I am blessed.

Spocky I have been working as a millwright/ industrial mechanic for almost 40 years before retiring and I still will not buy a cordless drill. Or a laser level. I have always found that a corded drill never has a dead battery and a string line never fails either.

15 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Spocky I have been working as a millwright/ industrial mechanic for almost 40 years before retiring and I still will not buy a cordless drill. Or a laser level. I have always found that a corded drill never has a dead battery and a string line never fails either.

Everyone, we've found the Ser Scot of DIY! :P

58 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Everyone, we've found the Ser Scot of DIY! :P

This wasn't just a bit of fix up around the house.  Check out Acme -Gridley screw machines on YT. I used to repair those for a few years. :cheers:88

13 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Taurus's are the best. I don't need tools, I have a dad.