NBA - squeaky bum time

BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah, Cavs offense looking like complete shit.

Nm i guess orlando is toast. When your second and third best players go 3/24 you’re probably not going to win many games.

42 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

They just need to learn to shoot. Very bad shooting basketball team. Will be exciting if they can bump their percentages there because they’re very good defensively.

Yup.  When you watch all their games throughout the season it’s like…

Which is why this offseason will be very interesting - and crucial.

Feels like they lost their composure after a couple of possessions didn't go their way. They have a long break to try and fix things, but that's two home games gone. Not looking good for them. 

Also, was going to make a joke about Gobert's three point shooting getting a boost after the birth of his child, but he doesn't even take them. He's attempted just three for the year, and seventeen for his career.

I thought this would be a challenging series for Denver, since they are a very big and talented defensive team, and a lot of the success in the 2023 playoffs was abusing size mismatches against Miami, LAL and Phoenix.  I wasn't particularly surprised that Minnesota took game 1, but I fully expected the Nuggets to bounce back in game two.  In the playoffs, when you have two fairly well matched teams, you can count on the more desperate squad to win like 80% of the time.  Denver does not want to lose two home games and should have been more desperate, but it didn't show.  Even without Gobert (who played well in game 1), the Wolves were still dominant on defense.  Murray has been terrible and may be injured.  The other starters aren't shot creators, they rely on Murray and Jokic to get them looks.  Which means it is all falling on Jokic, and thus far he is stymied.

The one reason I won't count Denver out is that experience matters in the playoffs, and this is the first meaningful run for Towns and Edwards.  The games only get harder, and if Denver finds a way to bounce back, the pressure might start to get to them.  But thus far Minnesota is not just better, but vastly better.  Denver needs answers and quick.

Posted (edited)

The Wolves were a tough matchup for Denver in the playoffs even last year when they were without McDaniels and Reid in the playoffs and Ant was not quite the superstar he is now. They gave Denver a serious fight even  though they had to play Jaylen Nowell (who is out of the league now) and the corpse of Austin Rivers for significant stretches. So I expected them to have a good chance to win this year, especially clearly struggling physically against the Lakers. But I did not expect them to dominate to such an extent, especially without Rudy last night. Their coordination on defense is just incredible. And the more leeway the league allows for physical contact this season is clearly in their favour, that second quarter run couldn't have happened last year because they would have been whistled for 5 fouls in the first 2 minutes.

Edited by David Selig

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Murray has been terrible and may be injured.  The other starters aren't shot creators, they rely on Murray and Jokic to get them looks.  Which means it is all falling on Jokic, and thus far he is stymied.

Yep. To be fair, they aren't terrible, and can create their own shot to an extent, and MPJ finally made progress on that front after the All-Star break, but its just not sufficient against this Wolves defense if Murray isn't able to get going. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

In the playoffs, when you have two fairly well matched teams, you can count on the more desperate squad to win like 80% of the time.  Denver does not want to lose two home games and should have been more desperate, but it didn't show.  Even without Gobert (who played well in game 1), the Wolves were still dominant on defense.

The one reason I won't count Denver out is that experience matters in the playoffs, and this is the first meaningful run for Towns and Edwards.  The games only get harder, and if Denver finds a way to bounce back, the pressure might start to get to them.  But thus far Minnesota is not just better, but vastly better.  Denver needs answers and quick.

Think it depends on how it manifests. Feels like the desperation is causing them to overthink things and get rushed. Murray even threw something onto the court in frustration.

36 minutes ago, David Selig said:

the corpse of Austin Reaves

Was he ever more than a three and D body?

Wolves were built by the same guy who built the Nuggets, and they were built to beat the Nuggets. And it's working right now. Kinda crazy.

Speaking of building rosters, the Dallas remake is impressive. Regardless of how their season ends, I think its already a huge success considering how disastrous their roster was after the Irving trade. Their new additions are all fairly young as well.

Minutes played against Clippers.

Doncic (255 mins)

Irving (240 mins)

Washington (212 mins) Joined midseason

Jones Jr (176 mins) Joined last offseason

Lively (122 mins) Drafted last offseason

Kleber (116 mins)

Gafford (109 mins) Joined midseason

Green (101 mins)

Exum (53 mins) Joined last offseason

Hardaway (22 mins)

What? All those guys sans Luka and Kyrie are bench players on a good team. Mavs will be lucky to win a game this series. Their team stinks. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

What? All those guys sans Luka and Kyrie are bench players on a good team. Mavs will be lucky to win a game this series. Their team stinks. 

yeah, having the best and 3rd best player on court doesn't help if you also have the 8th, 9th and 10th best.  Luka is going to have to be nearly perfect to keep it competitive, not put up 19/9/6 in 41 min, and shoot 12.5% from 3.

Gobert should enjoy his DPOY, I don't think he's winning another one. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

26 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

yeah, having the best and 3rd best player on court doesn't help if you also have the 8th, 9th and 10th best.  Luka is going to have to be nearly perfect to keep it competitive, not put up 19/9/6 in 41 min, and shoot 12.5% from 3.

Gobert should enjoy his DPOY, I don't think he's winning another one. 

First, you have to consider what their team was before. All guards and forwards, zero wings and centers. Lots of dead weight.

Next, the whole point of having Luka, is that you let him elevate your role players. Yeah, they aren't fantastic, sure, but all they need to do is provide enough defense and be lob threats or shoot open threes. Which again, wasn't available at the end of last season.

Last, teams should not need to be GSW + KD to be considered good. Everyone is trying and there's only one winner.