Football: You can take Poch out of Spurs...or playing Boehly's Billion Bottlers Blues.

It sounds like FSG are being pretty clear they want to get into the multi club structure business and they want Edwards to run it. I can see why they'd want to do it if FIFA/UEFA are going to allow it but hopefully the authorities nip this trend in the bud. Smaller clubs basically becoming feeder clubs for Premier League teams is a bit distasteful.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It sounds like FSG are being pretty clear they want to get into the multi club structure business and they want Edwards to run it. I can see why they'd want to do it if FIFA/UEFA are going to allow it but hopefully the authorities nip this trend in the bud. Smaller clubs basically becoming feeder clubs for Premier League teams is a bit distasteful.

I agree that owning multiple English, British, or even European clubs is a terrible idea for exactly the reason you describe.

I wonder, however, if having ownership of something like an NASL club wouldn't be beneficial all around.  The Tricky Reds get a feeder / loaner / development club in the US, and the US get some useful guidance at the NASL level, as those guys got the shaft from the MSL.

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I wonder, however, if having ownership of something like an NASL club wouldn't be beneficial all around.  The Tricky Reds get a feeder / loaner / development club in the US, and the US get some useful guidance at the NASL level, as those guys got the shaft from the MSL.

Yeah, I don't know. I think the real value for top Premier League clubs, especially is PSR really starts to bite, is you can try and bypass the mid tier clubs in the transfer food chain by having a farm system of clubs to develop players and, Red Bull style, you can more directly control them being developed for your style of play.

You might have a club in the US but I think you'd probably want a club playing in a higher level league as a stepping stone. I'm not a fan of it at all but if I was doing it I'd probably look at a Liga Segunda or Serie B side you think you can get promoted with loan players and prospect signings. Then you can develop players in a top league but 'buy' them on the cheap like City are doing with Savio at Girona.

6 hours ago, Mexal said:

Thank fucking god. That is all. Bring on quarters.

Ah it was fucking brilliant. Although I basically couldn't watch extra time or the penalties. I actually looked at the floor when we were taking each of our spot kicks.

Really pleased for Raya. As much as I Iike Ramsdale, it's clear now that Raya is the better keeper. And after Kai's first big 'Emirates Moment' at the weekend, it was nice for Raya to get his.

The Arsenal are two decent performances away from the semi finals of the Champion's League. Fucking hell. Somebody pinch me.

Edited by Spockydog

A couple of months ago, a student told me that Arsenal have the 4:16 curse.  They can't get above 4th place in the league and can't get past the round of 16 in the champions league.  That "curse" is now broken.

Ofc the big game/event yesterday was Gladbach's exit in the German cup QF against third tiers Saarbrücken. That was the game, that was post poned due to rain/lack of drainage at the pitch. Game can be summarized as follows. Gladbach with a lot of possession, took the early lead (8') and instead of going for the kill decided trying to sit on the lead was the way to go - it wasn't. The lead lasted for about 3 minutes and Saarbrücken equalized with their first real chance - a volley from 18m (11'). Gladbach then had a couple of very good chances to make it 2-1 or 3-1 before half-time, but they went into the locker rooms with a 1-1. Second half. Saarbrücken went back to defend deep, giving Gladbach a lot of the ball, who in turn were unable to do very much with it. (90+3) Gladbach with one sloppy pass, Saarbrücken with a textbook counter 2-1. And that's all she wrote. Gladbach players got an earful from their travelling fans.

Leverkusen remain the last top tier in the competition with the semi-finals already been drawn, they have very good odds to at least win the domestic double (they are also still in the EL). Anyway...

Leverkusen will host Düsseldorf in a local derby (it's virtually walking distance). Düsseldorf are sitting on 4th in Bundesliga 2 one spot and point below the promotion play-off spot.

Saarbrücken will host Kaiserslautern in another regional derby Kaiserslautern (65km drive on the Autobahn) in the south west. Kaiserslautern are stuck in Bundesliga 2 relegation battle, three points and 9 goals clear of the relegation play-off spot. Saarbrücken find themselves in the middle of nowhere in the third tier; 9th spot, 10 points away from the promotion play-off spot (with a game in hand).

Their cup run has been really impressive however, with claiming the scalps of Karlsruhe, Bayern, Frankfurt and now Gladbach.

Apparently PSG are going to offer £80m for Rashford and pay him £500,000 a week, that might be the worst business in football history. 

WTAF are they thinking?  People will say 'he's having a bad season' but he isn't really, his production is not that far away from the norm, last season and 19/20 were outliers.  

Posted (edited)

Thought PSG wanted move away from the big star signings towards a younger and hungry (and presmuably more local/French) team with Mbappe buggering off to Real.

Rashford isn't bad or horrible by any means, but that signing is not really in line with that new strategy. But not being bad is not the same as an 80m+ signing. As for worst signing in football history, I think Boehly would like to have a word or two there. One word being Mudryk. Anthony has also not been a stellar success at United, esp. if you factor in the price tag; neither was Sancho.

Yes, there have been a lot of dumb signings by clubs with more money than sense. Admittedly the aforementioned United signings did not look that bad at the time.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

I get the sense that if Rashford got his head together he could be.. well, much better than he is. He seems to be let down by his own mentality and is very much affected by everything going on around him. Maybe a move to PSG will do him good, it would pretty much end his England career but he's hardly a starter anyway.

Mudryk really does seem to be the worst signing, it seems to much more a case of him being worlds away from what is required tactically, maybe even technically, and it's bizarre that nobody spotted that when they were doing scouting. 

Posted (edited)

Mudryk is not horrible. He was gifted young player, when he arrived. Chelsea massively overpayed for him (Boehly's bluechip strategy/gamble in action). Leverkusen was willing to pay about 1/3 of what Chelsea ultimately paid, that talk pretty much broke down the moment Shaktar told them their asking price. Enter Boehly and his chequebook. Even if you factor in, that Leverkusen are sorta cheapskates and the EPL premiums the fee was just cray.

Then Mudryk arrived in an enviroment that is not ideal for young talents to flourish.

Chelsea is simply one huge mess.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Mudryk is not horrible. He was gifted young player, when he arrived. Chelsea massively overpayed for him (Boehly's bluechip strategy/gamble in action). Leverkusen was willing to pay about 1/3 of what Chelsea ultimately paid, that talk pretty much broke down the moment Shaktar told them their asking price. Enter Boehly and his chequebook. Even if you factor in, that Leverkusen are sorta cheapskates and the EPL premiums the fee was just cray.

From what I heard he was never very tactically astute and was never required to be that tactical at Shaktar. Even at a much cheaper price it's hard to see the reason for buying him, other than loaning him out to one of their linked clubs and trying to sell him on later. 

53 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, there have been a lot of dumb signings by clubs with more money than sense. Admittedly the aforementioned United signings did not look that bad at the time.

That's more my point, its obvious now its a terrible signing. 

Mudryk was massively overpaid for but at least he was young and had a chance to develop.  Rashford is in his prime, has had 2 decent seasons in his career and seem to be totally disinterested.

Mudryk is not tactically clever and he's got a terrible first touch. You can coach around the former (and he's still got time to learn it to some extent, though you'd have hoped to see some game awareness by now) and you can play to avoid situations where he has to stop the ball dead, but both those factors limit him and probably always will. As he is now he wouldn't start for Burnley, and I say that in the literal sense that Wilson Odobert is much better than he is. 

The only real bright spot in terms of his usefulness for Chelsea is that he's one of their few players who isn't soft. 

Buying Rashford for 80mil would obviously be madness from PSG but at the same time even this season (well, especially this season) he's been a lot more useful than his goal count shows and I wouldn't want to sell him. He scares the living shit out of defences, even if it's not going in for him. Which is new, because before this season if it wasn't going in for him nothing was happening for him at all. 

In any case if we had other players who do that it would be one thing but we don't (Garnacho kind of does, but he doesn't drag everyone out of position the way Rashford does, they don't respond to him the same way). 

Plus him and Hojlund look to be building a good partnership.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Buying Rashford for 80mil would obviously be madness from PSG but at the same time even this season (well, especially this season) he's been a lot more useful than his goal count shows and I wouldn't want to sell him. He scares the living shit out of defences, even if it's not going in for him. Which is new, because before this season if it wasn't going in for him nothing was happening for him at all. 

In any case if we had other players who do that it would be one thing but we don't (Garnacho kind of does, but he doesn't drag everyone out of position the way Rashford does, they don't respond to him the same way). 

Does he actually track back though? It's all become a bit of a cliche now, with lots of video of him just jogging along not even making minimum effort, but then I've also seen him occasionally running back too. Not sure what the general view is on that.

• Ran locked this topic