US Politics: The sides have gotten… weird

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Fuck if I know, but it's important to actually say what the hell the guy said instead of making it something different. It also is not a sign of mental illness. It probably is a sign he was effectively radicalized - and that is bad by itself, but you don't need to also conflate it with depression or anxiety or any of the other ways y'all tried to dehumanize him. 

From reading that blurb I think he was trying to show how very angry Palestinians could be at Israelis. Not the Israeli government, not Israeli soldiers, but Israelis. As he put it, imagine living in poverty and a police state while at night you can hear a giant music festival and see the lights from it. Think about how unfair that must feel to those people. It doesn't justify any action specifically, but hopefully you can at least understand the anger a lot of folks had. I think from his blurb there this guy was also feeling that anger. 

Sorry, i agree with you with you here, but, why is being radicalized bad in itself?  I can think of many instanses where radicalization is good and necesary

Edited by Conflicting Thought

11 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Sorry, i agree with you with you here, but, why is being radicalized bad in itself?  I can think of many instanses where radicalization is good and necesary

Are all Israeli civilians legitimate targets for violence in your opinion?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

13 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

I can think of some, but not a whole lot, and in general I'm happy to say that it's largely a bad idea. And honestly, in the times and places that it is a good idea it's a leading indicator that things are very, very wrong. 

Put it another way: Luke Skywalker being turned into a radicalized terrorist is probably a good thing, but it happened because his adoptive family was murdered and the galaxy was going to shit. If those things didn't happen and he went and decided to go attack military institutions and attempt prison breaks to free supposed political prisoners that'd probably not be a great thing. 

1 minute ago, Conflicting Thought said:

No, are all gazan civilians legitimate targets for violence in your opinion?

Absolutely not.  I’ve said from the Start Likud and Hamas both suck and each feeds off the violence offered by the other.

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Luke Skywalker being turned into a radicalized terrorist is probably a good thing, but it happened because his adoptive family was murdered and the galaxy was going to shit.

If Uncle Owen just let him go to the (imperial!) academy as he originally wished, then all of that would have been avoided. But no, Uncle Owen just had to exploit his nephew for more farm labour. Owen is supposed to be against slavery but I don't see Luke getting paid for that work. Isn't even allowed to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters (which incidentally probably would have helped with the work). Smh.

39 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Depends what that radicalism prompts one to do, I suppose. Some radicals start valuable social movements with widespread, positive outcomes; others fly planes into buildings.

Hopefully, radicalism does not supplant humility, which teaches us that no matter how certain we may feel about this or that cause, we can always be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

Oh, please! Skywalker was paid in room and board. And how dare you suggest he meant to go to Tosche Station for any other reason than to waste time with his friends! There's chores need doing!

Owen is rich enough to buy droid helpers, he's just such a cheapskate he'd rather crush his nephew's dream to save a few credits. And if RD2D never showed up, Luke would have wasted the rest of his life on that wasteland, probably spending his time high on deathsticks in Mos Eisley Cantina, and dead age twenty-five due to a run in with Jaba's henchmen.

10 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

If Uncle Owen just let him go to the (imperial!) academy as he originally wished, then all of that would have been avoided. But no, Uncle Owen just had to exploit his nephew for more farm labour. Owen is supposed to be against slavery but I don't see Luke getting paid for that work. Isn't even allowed to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters (which incidentally probably would have helped with the work). Smh.

Owen was purchasing Droids from Jawas and it is clear that their method of acquisition are highly dubious at best.

I havent noticed whether it's been posted but "uncommitted" picked up 13% in Michigan's Democratic primary according to NPR's reporting on exit polls.

I believe it was Dearborn's Mayor that said the states 250,000 Arabic ethnicity population wasnt enough to make a candidate win, but they believe they certainly have a strong enough bloc to make a candidate lose in Michigan.

I dont see any chance for Biden to win Michigan. The M.E. policy seems like the proverbial rock and a hard place, with no chance to please one group without pissing off another.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I havent noticed whether it's been posted but "uncommitted" picked up 13% in Michigan's Democratic primary according to NPR's reporting on exit polls.

I believe it was Dearborn's Mayor that said the states 250,000 Arabic ethnicity population wasnt enough to make a candidate win, but they believe they certainly have a strong enough bloc to make a candidate lose in Michigan.

I dont see any chance for Biden to win Michigan. The M.E. policy seems like the proverbial rock and a hard place, with no chance to please one group without pissing off another.

Man, have I got the thread for you :P

5 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It has, and it's actually quite a bit less than they were hoping for. As pointed out earlier in 2012 Obama got 10% uncommitted running unopposed. 

5 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I think there's a lot that can change between then and now, most notably an actual ceasefire. I don't know that that will make ALL of those folks come to Biden - and there are plenty of other reasons that people may not want to vote for Biden too - but there's a lot of time and actions that can happen. 

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It has, and it's actually quite a bit less than they were hoping for

That’s not what they were saying, before or after the primary. I had read (before the primary) that they were hoping to get 10%. But even after, there’s several articles on how they got much more than they were hoping for, like this one from NPR:

President Biden might have won the Michigan Democratic primary, but for some voters who disapprove of his handling of Israel's war in Gaza, Tuesday night was about sending a strong message: Change course or lose votes in the general election.

As of 5 a.m. ET Wednesday, more than 100,000 votes for the uncommitted option on the Democratic ballot have been counted, according to results reported by The Associated Press.

[…]

The campaign's goal was to get more than 10,000 votes, approximately the margin that former President Donald Trump defeated Hillary Clinton by in 2016 when turnout dropped compared with former President Barack Obama's reelection run four years earlier. 

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

That’s not what they were saying, before or after the primary. I had read (before the primary) that they were hoping to get 10%. But even after, there’s several articles on how they got much more than they were hoping for, like this one from NPR:

Right, but that's what they're saying - that doesn't mean it's the truth. I don't think that's realistic because as we've seen with things like Obama in 2012 the floor for uncommitted in a primary is quite high. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Absolutely not.  I’ve said from the Start Likud and Hamas both suck and each feeds off the violence offered by the other.

Likud isn't the problem. Zionism is. This is like blaming Trump for all Republican issues. Israeli politics operate within a spectrum of right wing, far right wing and extreme right wing.

1 minute ago, Kyoshi said:

Likud isn't the problem. Zionism is. This is like blaming Trump for all Republican issues. Israeli politics operate within a spectrum of right wing, far right wing and extreme right wing.

I’ll ask my question again then… are all Israelis legitimate targets for violence in your opinion?

29 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ah, thanks for this. Gives the numbers meaning.