US Politics: The sides have gotten… weird

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ll ask my question again then… are all Israelis legitimate targets for violence in your opinion?

Where is anyone saying that?

The point I'm trying to make is that you don't just get Likud and get a more tolerant Israel. Something needs to change about that whole society.

6 minutes ago, Bironic said:

The appeals court denied trumps request to delay the payment of the 450 million penalty…

:ninja:

Still here is an article. He wanted to put a $100 million on a $435 million bond and what as it should.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4495403-judge-rejects-temporary-pause-in-enforcement-of-trump-civil-fraud-penalties/

A New York appellate division judge ruled Wednesday that multimillion-dollar penalties imposed on former President Trump in his civil fraud case will not be paused while he appeals the judgment; however, for now, Trump can apply for loans.  

Justice Anil Singh temporarily denied the former president’s request to stay the enforcement of the more than $454 million in penalties a different New York judge ordered him to pay for conspiring to alter his net worth to receive tax and insurance benefits.  

Trump had offered to post a $100 million bond while the appeals process plays out, writing in court filings that the staggering judgment made it “impossible” to secure a bond covering the full amount. Posting a bond in the full amount would automatically halt enforcement of the penalties.  

6 hours ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

Re: ceasefire, ok, my mistake - I should have said asking for a ceasefire.  Biden asking for a ceasefire (not a resolution to ask for one at some point when it makes sense, which iirc was the last proposal) wouldn't depend on anything Hamas does or doesn't do.  It's not like Biden's Gaza response is some binary of full support of Israel vs sanction them.  Just show the bulk of voters, who support a ceasefire, that he's doing more than giving Israel carte blanche.

It does matter. If frankly both sides are honest in that they don't really have an interest in one that can lead to real peace what's the point? 

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Can you point out the charities that had a meaningful adjustment to the Vietnam war policy? Or the people who ran for office and changed Nixon's policy? 

I'm really struggling to see how your suggestions had any actual effect too - does that mean it was pointless to do so? 

LBJ lost his job because of opposition to the war. And here's a list of charities that had way more positive impact than a person committing suicide:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/daughter-non-governmental-organizations-vietnam/#:~:text=By 1970%2C 33 American NGOs,and the Mennonite Central Committee.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

If you know anyone who isn’t scared enough about the possibility of a 2nd Trump presidency, show them this:

https://newrepublic.com/article/178848/ban-abortion-trump-lgbtq-project-2025

Jfc.    Really, just speechless.    So many hate in these people. 

14 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

:ninja:

Still here is an article. He wanted to put a $100 million on a $435 million bond and what as it should.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4495403-judge-rejects-temporary-pause-in-enforcement-of-trump-civil-fraud-penalties/

It's a ludicrous ask. I'd also assume it means he's not very liquid. 

And now the SC is taking the immunity case. JFC indeed. 

10 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Jfc.    Really, just speechless.    So many hate in these people. 

I know, it’s absolutely horrifying. And just how brazen they are about it all… it’s scary af.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

It's a ludicrous ask. I'd also assume it means he's not very liquid. 

I mentioned before that his properties are mortgaged to the hilt and cannot be used as collateral.  As for s loan of any kind, one would have to be stupid as paying that fine is not going to generate the income needed to pay back the loan.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

It does matter. If frankly both sides are honest in that they don't really have an interest in one that can lead to real peace what's the point? 

LBJ lost his job because of opposition to the war. And here's a list of charities that had way more positive impact than a person committing suicide:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/daughter-non-governmental-organizations-vietnam/#:~:text=By 1970%2C 33 American NGOs,and the Mennonite Central Committee.

If antiwar protests killed Johnson's election hopes, McGovern did run on a strong antiwar basis and lost really badly. To Nixon. Tricky Dick.

In other US political news...

I put this one in the 'we can dream' category. Though, if Cruz does something stupid enough...

Tight Race in Texas Senate: Ted Cruz Faces Strong Challenge as Polls Ring Alarm Bells (msn.com) 

Other R's, of course, are doing stupid and cruel things...

Republicans are risking a shutdown over a program that should be uncontroversial (msn.com)

Rising food prices and more sign-ups from eligible parents have placed a major strain on the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children — better known as WIC. The program faces a shortfall of roughly $1 billion; if not fully funded, states may have to turn away mothers and children within weeks. To avoid this, Senate Democrats have opted to add a White House-requested increase in funding to the spending bill that funds the Department of Agriculture, which oversees WIC and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps.

That relatively small boost has House Republicans wanting changes of their own in exchange. Rep. Andy Harris, R-Md., who chairs the House Appropriations Subcommittee with jurisdiction over the USDA, has demanded a potential shift in how SNAP benefits work. Under Harris’ proposed pilot program, SNAP would only be able to be used to purchase only “nutrient-dense” foods, rather than snacks and sodas. That shift would transform grocery store cashiers into “the food police, telling parents what they can and cannot feed their families,” the National Grocers Association wrote in a letter to congressional leaders last week.

It’s not a great sign that this holdup is taking place over something that should be as uncontroversial as preventing new mothers from needing to join a waitlist to see if they’ll be able to afford groceries and formula. Congressional leaders were hopeful after a Tuesday meeting at the White House that any partial shutdown could be avoided, but the timing crunch may necessitate yet another short-term funding bill. Even that isn’t a guarantee, as there’s still a chance that a continuing resolution runs into hurdles ahead of the deadline.

----

Some here might find this one especially satisfying. Doubt it will get much coverage on right-wing media...

Lauren Boebert's 18-year-old son Tyler arrested, faces five felony charges (msn.com)

Tyler Boebert, the 18-year-old son of Rep. Lauren Boebert, was arrested Tuesday in Colorado related to a string of alleged property thefts and vehicle trespasses, police said.

The police department in Rifle, Colorado, posted on Facebook that Tyler Boebert was arrested at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday and he faces five felony counts. The charges include four felony counts of criminal possession of identification documents and one felony count of conspiracy to commit a felony, according to police.

According to the Garfield County Jail, Boebert was being held on 22 possible charges, including misdemeanors.

Tyler Boebert was listed as a current inmate at the jail as of Wednesday morning. There was no bond information listed.

https://assets.msn.com/staticsb/statics/latest/views/icons/textExpand_filled.svg  Continue reading

In a statement, Lauren Boebert said "I love my son Tyler, who has been through some very difficult, public challenges for a young man and the subject of attention that he didn't ask for. It breaks my heart to see my child struggling and, in this situation, especially when he has been provided multiple opportunities to get his life on track."

Lauren Boebert continued that "as an adult and father, Tyler will take responsiblity for his actions and should be held accountable for poor decisions just like any other citizen."  Her office announced in June 2023 that Tyler had become a father to a baby boy. 

----

And it looks like somebody in the Democratic Party finally found their wallet and the will to use it. This could lead to major shifts in state-level politics.

Democrats target statehouse races in first big campaign spend of 2024 (msn.com)

Democrats are targeting seven battlegrounds in their first campaign spend of the year on state legislature elections, the Guardian has learned, and intend to draw “clear contrasts” with Republican candidates tied to former US president Donald Trump.

The latest round of investments will deliver “critical resources” to Arizona, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) said.

Related: Harris attacks Trump over Roe v Wade at first campaign rally with Biden

The DLCC’s total spending for this electoral cycle is now close to $750,000. The money is used to support staff hiring, digital infrastructure, field operations and other expenditures.

Once seen by outsiders as sleepy backwaters, state legislative chambers have come into sharp focus in recent years because of their role in curbing reproductive freedoms, imposing book bans, assailing transgender rights and making it harder to vote.

8 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I mentioned before that his properties are mortgaged to the hilt and cannot be used as collateral.  As for s loan of any kind, one would have to be stupid as paying that fine is not going to generate the income needed to pay back the loan.

Agreed. I've heard various numbers, but I believe it was reported that several of his properties are under water by a good amount. And that's before we consider what does he really own verse what he has a small minority stake in. His ability to put up the money has to be in doubt. 

8 minutes ago, maarsen said:

If antiwar protests killed Johnson's election hopes, McGovern did run on a strong antiwar basis and lost really badly. To Nixon. Tricky Dick.

Talk about a sliding doors scenario. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

And pn a schedule to almost ensure nothing before the election. It's as if Robert's looked at things and said, "Have we lit the Court's reputation on fire using jet fuel? The kerosene was nice, but Inreally want to toast marshmallows..."

45 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And pn a schedule to almost ensure nothing before the election. It's as if Robert's looked at things and said, "Have we lit the Court's reputation on fire using jet fuel? The kerosene was nice, but Inreally want to toast marshmallows..."

The court reputation doesn't matter when they're unelected and unopposed. 

This also is interesting to me because it shows me how shitty the takes were that the appeals court was taking their time. All that time they took to craft an opinion is now completely worthless.