UK Politics: Not even a Penny for a new Prime Minister

Not as good as Coppers prematurely opened and closed title.

Now proceed with this discussion, thus far the UK politics story of the year.

And has probably about as much substance to it, as Mordaunt becoming PM before (or after) a GE by merit of lifting a sword above her head and screaming: "By the Power of Windsor"

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not as good as Coppers prematurely opened and closed title.

Now proceed with this discussion, thus far the UK politics story of the year.

And has probably about as much substance to it, as Mordaunt becoming PM before (or after) a GE by merit of lifting a sword above her head and screaming: "By the Power of Numbskulls"

Fixed.

Are they really going to just drag this out indefinitely? I hope so, its amazing to watch someone being this incompetent other than the MPS.

We should bury all our bad news now. 

May election as good as confirmed.

Laurence Robertson (my absentee MP) has started advertising on social media and even done a radio interview - unheard of outside of election season.

About the only thing he's got to boast about is a desire to prevent smuggling in of poor breed-stock puppys and kittens, but that's what he's running with.

Even then, I suspect it's because "smuggling living beings in from the continent = bad", as his voting record on animal welfare is pretty poor IIRC.

Given that, of course, it's always worth reminding people that actions speak louder than words - you can look up your own MP's record here: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/

Sunak has already ruled out a May election, I can’t see him doing a U turn on that especially since the Rwanda bill is still going ping-pong between Commons and Lords. He’ll want to get that passed and if possible flights actually started before he goes to the Palace.

15 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Sunak has already ruled out a May election, I can’t see him doing a U turn on that especially since the Rwanda bill is still going ping-pong between Commons and Lords. He’ll want to get that passed and if possible flights actually started before he goes to the Palace.

Charles and William will try and sneak out of the country on one of those flights if they really have offed her. 

The thing about conspiracy theories is that they're inherently unlikely to be true because people are people. If a member of the Royal Family were dead or at death's door, it would not be possible to keep that secret this long, because people love to tell secrets. You can keep some people quiet forever and some for a while but you can't keep everyone quiet for weeks. 

Whatever is going on, it's probably quite mundane. But the memes are hilarious. 

Kate being sufficiently pissed off at him that she's refusing to play ball with a proof of life strikes towards a sweet spot of mundane enough to be true with a chance of people not talking. The problem is that only thing that seems like it would piss her off that much would likely be him cheating, and then you wind up back at people likely talking lol. I guess those rumours about the specific mistress came from somewhere though, so maybe some of them are.

I know Jones is often an easy target, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I cancelled mine ages ago - what took him so long.

Anyway, lol at anyone who has principles and actually holds to them, eh?

Edited by Spockydog

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I know Jones is often an easy target, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I cancelled mine ages ago - what took him so long.

Anyway, lol at anyone who has principles and actually holds to them, eh?

He's right about a lot, he's just insufferable

Highest number in absolute poverty in 30 years (also Tories in charge in news which will surprise absolutely nobody).  12 Million people in absolute poverty in 2024, and amazingly i bet at least 30% of them (who bother to vote) will vote Tory at the next election. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Highest number in absolute poverty in 30 years (also Tories in charge in news which will surprise absolutely nobody).  12 Million people in absolute poverty in 2024, and amazingly i bet at least 30% of them (who bother to vote) will vote Tory at the next election. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68625344

The energy price crisis caused the sharpest increase in UK absolute poverty in 30 years, new figures show.

Steep prices rises, following Russia's invasion of Ukraine, meant hundreds of thousands more people fell into absolute poverty.

It's fine to blame the Tories for stuff, but leaving out the clear context doesn't seem especially fair.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It's fine to blame the Tories for stuff, but leaving out the clear context doesn't seem especially fair.

Yep, those people were nowhere near the poverty line until the fuel crisis happened, they were all swanning around in their Bentleys, eating goose and snorting toot of eastern european twin models. 

Just now, Heartofice said:

Really? EDF customers in the UK saw a massive price hike - EDI customers in France had it capped. 

British Gas making massive, increasing profits while charging customers more for energy.

We generate energy but get little benefit because its sold on thr market which we then have to buy back.

Which party privatised energy, and also which party did very little when the prices shot up?

14 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Really? EDF customers in the UK saw a massive price hike - EDI customers in France had it capped. 

British Gas making massive, increasing profits while charging customers more for energy.

We generate energy but get little benefit because its sold on thr market which we then have to buy back.

Which party privatised energy, and also which party did very little when the prices shot up?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/40bn-spent-protecting-families-and-businesses-from-energy-costs#:~:text=£39.3 billion was spent,26 billion by March 2028.

£39.3 billion was spent between October 2022 and March 2023, the most ever provided to subsidise household bills in UK history. This was in part funded through taxing energy producers’ excess profits - with the government’s windfall tax on producers expected to raise almost £26 billion by March 2028.

Yes the French prices didn't increase much but someone is paying for that subsidy, and it's the French taxpayer. They also have nuclear energy, and a valid criticism is that we haven't invested in nuclear enough, focusing too much on renewables which won't solve our energy issues. 

Lazy answer is to say it's about Private / Public ownership, but it's not really.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

He's right about a lot, he's just insufferable

And a moron. Don't forget that bit about Jones.

People like Jones serve a function in holding the center leftish parties to account and move them into the right direction (the left). But those preacher of orthodox purity are bad at politics and horrible politicians.

His political hero, Jeremy Corbyn, was an utter disaster as Labour leader. Instead of basically admitting that very obvious and pretty undeniable truth, he is one of those guys who double down and that's how you end up with those but he won the argument nonsense.

I mean, there's a pretty harsh reality check there. You win the political argument, by convincing a majority. How do we determine that in a democracy? By an election. If you return with the lowest numbers of MPs after an election, then you didn't win the argument.

Starmer (whie utterly uninspiring) is winning the argument (by default). But in Jones world, he is winning the soul of the Labour party by quitting.

9 hours ago, mormont said:

The thing about conspiracy theories is that they're inherently unlikely to be true because people are people. If a member of the Royal Family were dead or at death's door, it would not be possible to keep that secret this long, because people love to tell secrets. You can keep some people quiet forever and some for a while but you can't keep everyone quiet for weeks. 

Whatever is going on, it's probably quite mundane. But the memes are hilarious. 

I agree, I couldn't really care les about Royal affairs but the memes and the jokes have me engaged for the entertainment value