Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Bruno also being the last man in defence later in the game just shows the way he's playing the game. I'm sure United fans have a better idea of what to make of him, but personally he doesn't seem to be an overall positive to the team. I get that he is highly skilled, and does at least try, but he doesn't have discipline and does too much. I also don't know how much his emotionality is useful.  

Nah, Bruno's our best player. By, like, miles. Like it could be Shaw or Martinez, but since they're never fit, he's the only candidate. 

Sure, there are times that you want to just shake him, and it'd certainly be nice if he could pass calmly. But he's so good as an outlet, not just in terms of himself as a passer, but he's really fucking good at being available when another player is under pressure. We'd be way more pressable as a team if he wasn't in it, even if he as an individual is pretty pressable if a player gets close enough to him as he receives it. 

It's his off-the-ball movement, not his through-passing, that's really his best skill. 

I think it's also very notable that he tailors himself to the situation. When he's aware that there are players in the team who can get the ball to him when he's closer to the top, he'll stay there. When there aren't those passers or ball-carriers, he'll drop deeper to receive. In that respect, I really can't make it Bruno's fault when he's dropping into DM. This season, like Solksjaer's last, he's gooning all over the place all the time, but that's a reflection of the team around him as much as him.

Hot-take: Liverpool should sell Salah this summer if there’s a good offer available.

The next two summers should focus on recruiting two highly clinical forwards and in the meantime judge whether Nunez, Diaz and/or Gakpo should be retained.  The rebuild of the forward line hasn’t been good enough.

I know the goals scored this season looks very strong but (1) chance conversion is very low, (2) we have to push too many players forward to create enough chances to yield that many goals, which creates defensive vulnerabilities, (3) we struggle to score against the top teams (which ultimately decides trophies), and rack up most of our goals against mid-table clubs or else weaker opposition in cups.

Salah personally has had another strong season of G/A and some of his through balls show good vision and execution.  But the quality of his scoring has dropped off a lot, and his scoring mostly relies on the team spamming him with chances rather than him finishing well.

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Hot-take: Liverpool should sell Salah this summer if there’s a good offer available. and execution.  But the quality of his scoring has dropped off a lot, and his scoring mostly relies on the team spamming him with chances rather than him finishing well.

I would sell him only if Saudi teams came for him, create a bidding war ,sell for minimum 100-120 million.

He will be 32 in June so I don't expect any European team to pay more than 50-60 million , at best.

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Hot-take: Liverpool should sell Salah this summer if there’s a good offer available.

I wouldn't be surprised if Salah privately told the club he's off and that influenced Klopp's decision. Whether the club will be better off without Salah and plenty of Saudi cash to rebuild is down to who the next manager is. If the incoming guy uses a different system to Klopp (which is almost a certainty) he may have a problem with an undroppable player clogging up his system as well as blocking new players coming in who would fit it.

14 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The next two summers should focus on recruiting two highly clinical forwards and in the meantime judge whether Nunez, Diaz and/or Gakpo should be retained.  The rebuild of the forward line hasn’t been good enough.

I know the goals scored this season looks very strong but (1) chance conversion is very low, (2) we have to push too many players forward to create enough chances to yield that many goals, which creates defensive vulnerabilities, (3) we struggle to score against the top teams (which ultimately decides trophies), and rack up most of our goals against mid-table clubs or else weaker opposition in cups.

Salah personally has had another strong season of G/A and some of his through balls show good vision and execution.  But the quality of his scoring has dropped off a lot, and his scoring mostly relies on the team spamming him with chances rather than him finishing well.

If he stayed fit (and I don't want this to happen) Isak would be a great buy for you if you got 100 million for Salah from the Saudis.

He has had pretty much the best goals per game (behind Haaland) and most goals per chance for the last 2 years. He's also a cracking penalty taker which is not to be sniffed at. 

Maybe the Saudis could launder money through a bid for Salah that is insane, and we can charge the same amount for Isak and get our finances in order. 

I assume there will be turnover at Liverpool following Klopp. The first manager after a club legend generally has a tough time, especially if people move on. Next year will be very interesting for them.

Wonder how much Saudi Arabia are actually willing to piss away going forward. There's been some reports that they plan to curb spending - they spent around £900m just on transfer fees and significantly more on crazy contracts. Their strategy looks to be a failure. Apparently attendances in the Saudi Pro League this season are down compared to last season.

Henderson felt Ajax in their current state are a better option than Saudi Pro League. That tells us pretty much everything we need to know.

On Liverpool's managerial change, my understanding is that Klopp isn't going to another team, he's taking some time off, though not quite retiring. So why isn't Pepijn Lijnders or whomever from his staff is qualified considered for the job? They know the team and Klopp's system.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I assume there will be turnover at Liverpool following Klopp. The first manager after a club legend generally has a tough time, especially if people move on. Next year will be very interesting for them.

I don’t think there will be. The squad looks very well set with the young players who’ve come through this year and Edwards/FSG aren’t about spending unnecessary money. There’ll probably be one or two changes but I’d expect any new managers to be told that’s your squad and your job is to get a performance out of them.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So why isn't Pepijn Lijnders or whomever from his staff is qualified considered for the job? They know the team and Klopp's system.

I’m a little surprised they don’t seem to have even considered it. I suppose they want a manager with more experience of the top job but if he goes away and does well I’m sure they’ll be keeping an eye on him.

Yeah, Liverpool's squad looks to be really good. They did well to sort out the midfield and for a very reasonable amount of money as well. Some academy players coming through this season has been a huge boon. They probably need a replacement for Thiago and another DM to rotate with Endo so MacAllister can stay in his best role. A clinical forward would be nice but easier said than done to find one plus there's still Jota who fits that bill - honestly think that if Jota was fit for most of this season, Liverpool would've had a bit of breathing room at the top of the table.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, Liverpool's squad looks to be really good. They did well to sort out the midfield and for a very reasonable amount of money as well. Some academy players coming through this season has been a huge boon. They probably need a replacement for Thiago and another DM to rotate with Endo so MacAllister can stay in his best role. A clinical forward would be nice but easier said than done to find one plus there's still Jota who fits that bill - honestly think that if Jota was fit for most of this season, Liverpool would've had a bit of breathing room at the top of the table.

I think Bajcetic is that back-up DM.  I’m not sure we’ll buy a replacement for Thiago either.  Elliott continues to develop and Morton or Clark could be ready for a MF depth role alongside Gravenberch.  Carvalho will be a back-up forward.  If Szoboszlai can find his role in the MF structure then there’s a good balance of starters and back-ups.

I expect any new manager will have some freedom to sign a couple of new players that help adapt to his style, but CB and LB look like they need some depth. (I assume Tsimikas will depart soon if Gomez moved so far ahead of him in the pecking order).  And a clinical forward is needed, in addition to Jota who rarely stays healthy for long.

Personally, I think Liverpool will go shopping for a DM and CB (or a player who can cover both). The CB will probably be higher on the list (at least that'd be my priority if I were their head of recruitment). Not a dig against Quansah, who has been a fairly reliable performer for them this year. The problem is that they have an injury prone Konate and an aging van Dijk there as their primary pairing - Matip's contract won't be renewed (injury prone player above the age of 30). If van Dijk gets taken out for the season by Pickford (or somebody else) again, they are in real trouble. I don't think a Thiago replacement is really a priority as Jones has finally managed to take another step up.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Personally, I think Liverpool will go shopping for a DM and CB (or a player who can cover both). The CB will probably be higher on the list (at least that'd be my priority if I were their head of recruitment). Not a dig against Quansah, who has been a fairly reliable performer for them this year. The problem is that they have an injury prone Konate and an aging van Dijk there as their primary pairing - Matip's contract won't be renewed (injury prone player above the age of 30). If van Dijk gets taken out for the season by Pickford (or somebody else) again, they are in real trouble. I don't think a Thiago replacement is really a priority as Jones has finally managed to take another step up.

As well as whether or not a Salah windfall comes in, so much depends on the incoming manager's system. Many of the candidates operate a Back 3 - in which Liverpool will need probably 2 top class centrebacks. I think they've got enough depth in midfield now, with Elliott and Jones maturing, and Batcejic hopefully fit for the start of the season. So, 2 centrebacks and a Salah replacement (not necessarily like-for-like) should be do-able.

20 years ago today on April 9, 2004, Henry scores an iconic goal against Liverpool, the 2nd goal from a hat trick in a 4-2 victory.

"Genius at work, his name is Thierry Henry."  (The main highlight starts at about 4:05.)

The extra cherry on top is watching Jamie Carragher lose his balance and take out a fellow defender.

19 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I would sell him only if Saudi teams came for him, create a bidding war ,sell for minimum 100-120 million.

He will be 32 in June so I don't expect any European team to pay more than 50-60 million , at best.

Been reported today a Saudi club will offer £70 million. Down a fair bit from the £100m+ last close season.

2 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Been reported today a Saudi club will offer £70 million. Down a fair bit from the £100m+ last close season.

If no competing club comes along with more than 70 offer , then with 1 year left on his contract, Edwards/fsg will have to decide whether they take the 70 mill or keep Salah for a final season and let go on a free.

No doubt he will give us 20 goals and 10 assists again, minimum. Cause unless they have a top replacement who can guarantee similar numbers, what's the point of selling him.

We cannot rely on either one of Darwin/Diaz to get us those 20 minimum.

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

20 years ago today on April 9, 2004, Henry scores an iconic goal against Liverpool, the 2nd goal from a hat trick in a 4-2 victory.

"Genius at work, his name is Thierry Henry."  (The main highlight starts at about 4:05.)

The extra cherry on top is watching Jamie Carragher lose his balance and take out a fellow defender.

It would be funny if Kate Abdo showed this clip for their CBS show ahead of the Arsenal-Bayern match.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Suck it up, Geordies. You made your deal with tbe Devil. Imagine thinking these particular owners give the tiniest toss about your 'proud working class' bollocks. Enjoy yer hundred-and-forty-quid tickets and curly prawn sandwiches. 

Oh, and lol at being one of the most hated clubs in football and lumbered with the Most Evil Owner In Football, and you can't even spend his money cos you're guaranteed to get a points deduction. 

Edited by Spockydog

• polishgenius changed the title to Football: Let's All Laugh at Chelsea