Call Out To The Fallout (Amazon Prime show)

Howard and the game's design director both say it's canon and imply people are jumping to conclusions about some things. Maybe there's a mistake or something, but the canonicity of the general story of the show does not seem to be in question.

@Corvinus85

Probably a joke reference like that. I also liked how they basically look like oversized golf bags in terms of their shape, which is poking fun a the concept of Brotherhood of Steel squires caddying for their knights.

11 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Couple of questions after finishing it:

Hide contents

1) How did Moldaver survive ?
2) Which faction did the scientist guy belong to, how and from whom did he steal cold fusion, why didn’t moldaver take it earlier ?
3) how did Hank bomb shady sands when they were just vault dwellers ? Can they still access nukes from somewhere ? How did the overseers escape vault 32 when the people there learnt the truth

Also how did Hank not realise 32 was compromised after what we know about him post finishing the show ?

Spoiler

1) Unexplained as yet. Probably a private cryo-vault.

2) The scientist was a member of the Enclave, a faction that claimed continuity from the pre-war US government but was more of a fascist dictatorship. The Enclave was severely damaged in Fallout 2 and destroyed outright in Fallout 3. However survivors, or possibly people just tagging onto the name, seem to have refounded the group, as it plays a role in the new Fallout 4 update. I suspect this refounded group is where Wilzig comes from.

3) The implication is that the Vault 31-32-33 complex has access to nuclear weapons, presumably the same ones that Vault-Tec was planning to use to start the apocalypse, although there's some signs they failed to do that, leaving the missiles intact.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Howard and the game's design director both say it's canon and imply people are jumping to conclusions about some things. Maybe there's a mistake or something, but the canonicity of the general story of the show does not seem to be in question.

@Corvinus85

Probably a joke reference like that. I also liked how they basically look like oversized golf bags in terms of their shape, which is poking fun a the concept of Brotherhood of Steel squires caddying for their knights.

I took that as a reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, personally.

2 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

.hes not the better of the Nolan brothers when it comes to writing that’s for sure. 

Well firstly, he wrote Memento, The Prestige and TDK with Chris and he didn't write Inception and Tenet so, you know, he was keeping the average up for quite a while. 

Secondly, by most accounts Person of Interest is really good and ends very well, so I  wouldn't judge Nolan just on Westworld even as a tv writer.

Thirdly, he's not writing or showrunning this. 

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

It's an alt history.

Heard a newish word, not widely used: uchronistic.  Apparently created to be analogous to utopia (no-place), uchronia means no-time, used as a synonym for alternate history sci-fi, encompassing retrofuturisms like this.

However, another developing definition of uchronia is a larger umbrella category of fiction that encompasses alternate history, parallel universes, and stories based in futuristic or non-temporal settings.  Yet another use of the term is for a genre of story rooted in divergences from actual history that originate as more gradual or micro-level changes, in contrast to alternate history, whose divergences have tended to be rooted in sudden and macro-level changes.

Furthermore, the goal of uchronia is sometimes now focused away from the traditional purpose of fiction as mere entertainment instead towards more practical applications in social and political discourse. In this context, it can refer to a re-imagining of a more positive history of a place than the current one, with real-world value in its implications and proposed solutions to social problems. Thus, as used by some scholars, uchronia is a whole new or alternative way of thinking, and not simply a genre of storytelling.[

58 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Well firstly, he wrote Memento, The Prestige and TDK with Chris and he didn't write Inception and Tenet so, you know, he was keeping the average up for quite a while. 

Secondly, by most accounts Person of Interest is really good and ends very well, so I  wouldn't judge Nolan just on Westworld even as a tv writer.

Thirdly, he's not writing or showrunning this. 

I liked inception :)

And yes, Person of Interest is amazing. Shining example of building a network show that includes a case of the weak and a broader storyline that becomes increasingly important as the show goes on. 

Really enjoyed this. Considering how much of the show is basically a mystery it’s pretty puzzling they dumped all episodes at once. It would have worked really well as like release 3 episodes and then 1/week for the rest. I actually enjoyed this more than Shogun as it has a bit better balance of action, suspense, characters, etc. Pacing is really good.

Edited by Arakasi

6 hours ago, Ran said:

It tells a relatively complete story within its 8 episodes, with a couple of hooks leading to a next season. There's no reason someone shouldn't see it just because the 2nd season is an unknown.

I would say it ends a lot like Westworld S1 which also had a self contained storyline but hinted at much larger inter connected events which failed to live up in subsequent seasons 

13 hours ago, Werthead said:
  Hide contents

3) The implication is that the Vault 31-32-33 complex has access to nuclear weapons, presumably the same ones that Vault-Tec was planning to use to start the apocalypse, although there's some signs they failed to do that, leaving the missiles intact.

I missed these signs, would you mind elaborating?

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah it was fantastic, the last 2 seasons have some of the best episodes of television I've ever seen and it did end quite well.

11 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Heard a newish word, not widely used: uchronistic.  Apparently created to be analogous to utopia (no-place), uchronia means no-time, used as a synonym for alternate history sci-fi, encompassing retrofuturisms like this.

That's definitely a useful word. I'd say there's something along those lines going on with some shows that don't have any genre trappings, Sex Education utilizes elements of it in the setting as part of creating a setting that's kinda both US and UK and neither. I'm sure I've watched something else recently that also had a similar vibe.

Also finished the show last night. What a fantastic ending. The blackout hallway fight was cool as hell.

A bit confused on this part though - knowing what we do about Howard's wife and what she went through to get a vault slot, and knowing what we do about who dropped the bombs first - how would she ever let her daughter not be at her side the day of the drops? Why was she with Howard at that point?

28 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Also finished the show last night. What a fantastic ending. The blackout hallway fight was cool as hell.

A bit confused on this part though - knowing what we do about Howard's wife and what she went through to get a vault slot, and knowing what we do about who dropped the bombs first - how would she ever let her daughter not be at her side the day of the drops? Why was she with Howard at that point?

She and Cooper were divorced by that point, and sharing custody of their daughter.

8 minutes ago, psynetik123 said:

She and Cooper were divorced by that point, and sharing custody of their daughter.

Right - but why would she let him have custody on that day? 

The one thing I wonder at when we saw the explosions was... would we actually see the bombs falling before they hit? Probably not. I guess they'd just be MIRV style warheads, right, on ballistic trajectories? I tried to rewatch the scene to see if they CGed a blip of dark something plummeting to the ground prior to each explosion, but no.

53 minutes ago, Ran said:

The one thing I wonder at when we saw the explosions was... would we actually see the bombs falling before they hit? Probably not. I guess they'd just be MIRV style warheads, right, on ballistic trajectories? I tried to rewatch the scene to see if they CGed a blip of dark something plummeting to the ground prior to each explosion, but no.

Well, not if vault tec was planting them.

23 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Well, not if vault tec was planting them.

Right. But even if they didn't, would we really see an atomic warhead coming in before it exploded at the distance we see the city at? I don't know. Maybe not.

Who knows if they’ve adapted some of the current technology of our times. We always viewed nukes as the traditional big missiles but maybe there were drones which we definitely wouldn’t see. Even if not drones because of no transistors we definitely see fusion cores and they’re super small so there is lots of ways to get that to places.

Edited by Arakasi

Decided to Google and Reddit surfaced this idea of MIRVs coming in, both by night (very clear) and by day (less clear, but still, you'd probably be able to see it with the naked eye as they streaked down out of the sky):

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Right. But even if they didn't, would we really see an atomic warhead coming in before it exploded at the distance we see the city at? I don't know. Maybe not.

You would almost certainly see them, and more importantly you'd hear them the same way you hear planes; they'd be pretty loud even before the bomb.