US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction

UPDATED 1 MINUTE AGO

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/19/nyregion/man-on-fire-trump.html

....A high-ranking Police Department official identified the man as Max Azzarello, 37, of St. Augustine, Fla. The official requested anonymity because the man had not been publicly identified. Mr. Azzarello had appeared outside the courthouse on Thursday with a sign displaying the address of a website where the same pamphlets were uploaded. The top post of the website says, “I have set myself on fire outside the Trump Trial.”

People who witnessed the fire said they were in disbelief as they saw Mr. Azzarello, who was in an area of the park reserved for supporters of Mr. Trump, toss the pamphlets into the air and flames shoot toward the sky. Mr. Azzarello, who was wearing jeans and dark gray T-shirt, fell to the ground.

Some of the pamphlets referred to New York University as a “mob front,” and also mentioned former President George W. Bush, former Vice President Al Gore and the lawyer David Boies, who represented Mr. Gore in the 2000 presidential election recount. Another pamphlet contained anti-government conspiracy theories. ....

Um just what does this mean? "The official requested anonymity because the man had not been publicly identified."  Since, buddy, you just did it.

You are as confused and making as little sense as Azzarello as to who, what, when and why.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

On his weight - chances are good he is taking Ozempic. 

It was suggested already a couple weeks ago by people who taken upon themselves looking at this horror far more often, far more closely, and far more attentively than I do that this is what he was up to.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

It was suggested already a couple weeks ago by people who taken upon themselves looking at this horror far more often, far more closely, and far more attentively than I do that this is what he was up to.

Yes, I saw your previous post a few weeks ago. I was just trying to come up with an alternative.

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Um just what does this mean? "The official requested anonymity because the man had not been publicly identified."  Since, buddy, you just did it.

It means the leaker didn’t wanna go on the record because it’s technically against policy.

Anyway, interesting looking at this morning’s roll call and the 39 Dems that voted against the rule.  It’s of course your general Squad/progressive left types, but some prominent names include Jim Clyburn, Debbie Dingell, Robert Garcia, Ro Khanna, Jamie Raskin, Bennie Thompson, and Lauren Underwood.  Also, Jasmine Crockett, who’s quickly becoming one of my favorite MCs (not due to this vote, tbc).

Apparently the person identified actually posted on Substack with a manifesto that his action was a protest against the impending fascist takeover of the American government. If I'm reading this right, some of his evidence suggests that Conan O'Brien (writer of the cited Simpsons episode, "Marge vs. the Monorail") was deeply involved in the criminal enterprise that is Harvard which is emblematic of the larger conspiracy to defraud Americans and take over the continent

I think we should all be glad he didn't take the more typical US approach of finding a gun and taking some people with him.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

If I'm reading this right, some of his evidence suggests that Conan O'Brien (writer of the cited Simpsons episode, "Marge vs. the Monorail")

I always knew the monorail song was a clarion call for the eventual fascist takeover.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

I think we should all be glad he didn't take the more typical US approach of finding a gun and taking some people with him.

Indeed.  Quite the unusual form of protest for that ilk.

So ... this guy ... martyred himself for his messiah who has told us what the US IS?  Is that right?  This is what a martyr is, actually, not a guy who is oppressed by woman teaching in a classroom?  I am very confused.  However may all the ilks of his ilk do the same and teach us all what we need to know!  Eventually like God I'll sort it out.  Thnx.

O wait, didn't we have a long discussion not that long ago about what horrible selfish people are who commit suicide by fire, whatever, are?

Edited by Zorral

Just to be clear, Ozempic is the version of semaglutide that is specifically geared towards diabetes, while Wegovy is the (only?) one approved for weight loss. I take the former, but cant say I've been overrun by a case of the toots. Thats pure cheeto energy.

He's lost a *lot* of weight for his cheeks to be that gaunt. Gas issues are certainly a possibility from semaglutide, but I feel the weight loss is greater than is typically seen - I guess he could have been on it a long time and we just didn't notice the weight loss for a long time rather than it being over only a few months. 

What I'm saying is - semaglutide is the most likely explanation, but illness is possible.

On another note - just saw some discussion of the new self immolation protestor which says that you can see his psychology fall apart after his mum died. Perhaps she was the one that got him to take meds and he stopped without her, maybe it was just the shock of losing her that cracked him but either way I'm going to feel sympathy and sorrow for it. 

I was stuck away from home and completely isolated for a few weeks when I lost my mum and my connection to reality was very tenuous by the time I got to come home. Could certainly imagine it just worsening over time if I hadn't had family to come back to and get grounded. 

It does speak to the other concern that was expressed after the previous self-immolation protest which I shared, that the coverage of protest like that could serve to encourage others in a vulnerable emotional state to do the same.

15 minutes ago, karaddin said:

It does speak to the other concern that was expressed after the previous self-immolation protest which I shared, that the coverage of protest like that could serve to encourage others in a vulnerable emotional state to do the same.

I dunno, this line of thought seems to suggest an impossible standard for the media to uphold.  Coverage of all types of horrible events/actions can potentially motivate those in a vulnerable emotional state.  Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be covered.

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

So ... this guy ... martyred himself for his messiah who has told us what the US IS?

A moment of digging in his Substack and you will see that, no, he was not for Trump. He thought Trump was as bad as every other politician, that he's as involved in the "global Ponzi scheme" alongside Peter Thiel, the Clintons, the Bushes, Elon Musk, etc. 

He was a fairly typical Illuminati-style conspiracy theorist, who with great conviction burned himself alive to try and open our eyes.

Edited by Ran

7 hours ago, DMC said:

I dunno, this line of thought seems to suggest an impossible standard for the media to uphold.  Coverage of all types of horrible events/actions can potentially motivate those in a vulnerable emotional state.  Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be covered.

I don't think it's impossible, there are pretty clear guidelines for media reporting on suicide and I think they should try and apply those as much as possible for this particular form of protest. Or at least those guidelines exist outside the US, perhaps they're not in use there?

If the guy was non-partisan in his thinking that there is a massive military industrial-politicians-billionnaires conspiracy controlling the world, well he was not totally wrong in this. When was the last time a true champion of the people ascended to high office? Biden has the appearance of being the closest to it, but he's still largely captive of the neo-lib orthodoxy.

11 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I don't think it's impossible, there are pretty clear guidelines for media reporting on suicide and I think they should try and apply those as much as possible for this particular form of protest. Or at least those guidelines exist outside the US, perhaps they're not in use there?

Ah, guess I kinda misunderstood what you were saying.  Sure, the media should generally follow those guidelines as I understand them.  Albeit avoiding reporting the method in such cases is, indeed, rather impossible.

42 minutes ago, DMC said:

Ah, guess I kinda misunderstood what you were saying.  Sure, the media should generally follow those guidelines as I understand them.  Albeit avoiding reporting the method in such cases is, indeed, rather impossible.

It's impossible in the sense that people will know it happened because there will be some reporting, but even just removing mentions of that would be beneficial. It sounds stupid but human psychology is weird.

• A Horse Named Stranger changed the title to US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction
  • Ran locked this topic